Age Group = F30-39
Age Group Rank = 47/89
Run
  • 1h 03m 57s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 10m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

*Overall is female only*

I signed up for this simply as a distance to look forward to/train for. So, I didn't taper and actually added an extra gym session during the week prior. Although I did ask to "not kill my legs" during the Thursday workout.

This race can be VERY cold, so I was super lucky this year. Above freezing, not much wind, although gray and dreary. I met my friend Leslie and we jumped in line at the start, very close to start time. We accidentally started with the half marathoners, not knowing that our start was 5 mins later. Oops! We did have the results fixed, but I enjoyed seeing that sub-hour time for a few days :) Anyway, the race has a LOOOOONG uphill in the first mile or so (from lower town area up Kellogg), make a loop around Rice park, then down to Shepard road for an out/back. The Shepard Rd part was so boring. I would have quit if I was doing the half just out sheer indifference. The hill from Shepard back up to Kellogg was STEEP! Walked that one. Then back down Kellogg, sadly, only to have a little of a climb to the finish. I was pretty much over it by 5 miles. I did log 6.4 miles, which may have been due to the tall building/satellite, plus a few sloppy turns. I can't say I paid any attention to the tangents.

While I would love to be faster, I did what I did and I have to remind myself this was just one step in the year towards my first marathon.
Post race
Event comments:

The race organization was super awesome. For that fact, I would do this race again. Food and giveaways afterwards were really nice, super nice mug and shirt, plus free attached climate controlled parking! Amazing! If you did this when the weather was tough (most years), being able to mill around inside is a huge advantage.

Last updated: 2016-02-10 12:00 AM
Running
01:03:57 | 06.2 miles | 10m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 47/89
Overall: 136/260
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-02-10 9:28 AM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Securian Winter Run 10k
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Securian Winter Run 10k Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Securian Winter Run - Half Marathon

Started by chris2533
Views: 1004 Posts: 3

2012-01-30 1:54 PM rdailey1

Securian Winter Run

Started by stevestenzel
Views: 810 Posts: 2

2012-01-29 10:21 PM BigDH

Securian Winter Run

Started by older2533
Views: 918 Posts: 1

2011-04-10 7:57 PM older2533

Securian Winter Run

Started by stevestenzel
Views: 1054 Posts: 2

2011-01-31 9:45 PM BikerGrrrl

Securian Winter Run 10k

Started by trumpetchicken
Views: 1111 Posts: 2

2011-02-04 2:21 PM BigDH
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2015
author : mikericci
comments : 2
How to prepare your body before heading out into the cold.

date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.
date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training

date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!
date : June 14, 2005
author : smeeko
Training plan featuring specific interval-type and track workouts to increase your 10K speed over the course of 2 months.

date : October 31, 2004
author : tmwelshy
To prevent a mental breakdown before you even get to the starting line, use the winter months to set goals, build your base, vary your workouts, cut back on training and throw in some variety.
date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 2
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
Well its the middle of winter and there is 5 inches of snow on the ground and I am too cheap to buy a gym membership and take spinning classes, so what do I do?