General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wheel build help! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-02-11 8:50 AM

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Subject: Wheel build help!
I've gotten the permission to do a wheel build, but now I can't make up mind. I can do custom orange hope hubs on boyd rims for just over $1500 or Chinese rims laced to dt 350's for $750 (farsports). The equivalent build hub wise on Chinese rims would be about $1050. I can't decide if it is worth it to pay more for the branded rims? I know it takes away a lot of the QC questions, but I could replace the rims twice for the same price. Just looking for some input and hoping you guys had some experience that could help. Thanks!

2016-02-11 8:56 AM
in reply to: Lupy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA
Subject: RE: Wheel build help!
If you don't go the farsports route, what brand or brands of rims might be possible for you?

2016-02-11 10:01 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
If you want to build them, that's fine. I bought a set of new (front wheel had 100 mi. on it and the rear was still in the box) Flo's (60 and 90) for $675. I spent another $40 on a cassette (optional.....you could use the one on your current wheel) and $125 on a wheelbuilder aero jacket with a special tool and an accessory or two.

2016-02-11 11:47 AM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Originally posted by Lupy I've gotten the permission to do a wheel build, but now I can't make up mind. I can do custom orange hope hubs on boyd rims for just over $1500 or Chinese rims laced to dt 350's for $750 (farsports). The equivalent build hub wise on Chinese rims would be about $1050. I can't decide if it is worth it to pay more for the branded rims? I know it takes away a lot of the QC questions, but I could replace the rims twice for the same price. Just looking for some input and hoping you guys had some experience that could help. Thanks!

Unless of course the rim fails on a 35 MPH decent where you hit a small pot hole and you go end-over-end a few times and you've got a $5,000 hospital bill and need to replace the entire bike.

2016-02-11 11:58 AM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Originally posted by Sous

Originally posted by Lupy I've gotten the permission to do a wheel build, but now I can't make up mind. I can do custom orange hope hubs on boyd rims for just over $1500 or Chinese rims laced to dt 350's for $750 (farsports). The equivalent build hub wise on Chinese rims would be about $1050. I can't decide if it is worth it to pay more for the branded rims? I know it takes away a lot of the QC questions, but I could replace the rims twice for the same price. Just looking for some input and hoping you guys had some experience that could help. Thanks!

Unless of course the rim fails on a 35 MPH decent where you hit a small pot hole and you go end-over-end a few times and you've got a $5,000 hospital bill and need to replace the entire bike.

That's the thought I couldn't get out of my head! Since I had the room in my budget I went for the custom Boyd build. I'll try to remember to post an update when I actually get the rims. I went with Boyd's 60mm clincher from http://www.prowheelbuilder.com/. Right now they have a sale going on so I got 12% off in case anyone else is interested in getting their own.
2016-02-11 12:00 PM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA

Unless of course the rim fails on a 35 MPH decent where you hit a small pot hole and you go end-over-end a few times and you've got a $50,000 hospital bill, and also need to replace the entire bike.

Fixed a small (but important) detail.
Gotta keep up with the times!

2016-02-11 12:02 PM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Originally posted by Lupy

That's the thought I couldn't get out of my head! Since I had the room in my budget I went for the custom Boyd build. I'll try to remember to post an update when I actually get the rims. I went with Boyd's 60mm clincher from http://www.prowheelbuilder.com/. Right now they have a sale going on so I got 12% off in case anyone else is interested in getting their own.

Sweet.  Sounds like a nice set up.

2016-02-11 12:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Lupy

I've gotten the permission to do a wheel build, but now I can't make up mind. I can do custom orange hope hubs on boyd rims for just over $1500 or Chinese rims laced to dt 350's for $750 (farsports). The equivalent build hub wise on Chinese rims would be about $1050. I can't decide if it is worth it to pay more for the branded rims? I know it takes away a lot of the QC questions, but I could replace the rims twice for the same price. Just looking for some input and hoping you guys had some experience that could help. Thanks!

What are they for ? Climbing, tri racing ?
Do you own a PM ?
2016-02-11 12:14 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Durham, North Carolina
This is where it gets crazy. My Tri bike can fit a 135mm hub easily so I decided to sell my Flo's and get one nice set of wheels that I can use on my Tri bike and disc bike. I went 60mm because I wanted them to be suitable for tri's and the wight difference was negligible IMO. I have a stages power meter. Since I do the majority of riding on my disc bike (still can't find a tt saddle I like) my Flo's were just garage decorations.
2016-02-14 8:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Looks like you have what you need here, but there's Frank's  cyclery on Hwy 70 near the airport for help as well. 

2016-02-14 1:43 PM
in reply to: Dorm57

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Originally posted by Dorm57

Looks like you have what you need here, but there's Frank's  cyclery on Hwy 70 near the airport for help as well. 

Thanks. I still haven't found a "home" shop yet so that helps!

2016-02-14 6:51 PM
in reply to: #5166582

User image

Katy, Texas
I've got about 3,000 miles on my wheels from wheelsfar without ever having a horrible crash. I've also yet to hear of a single person having a horrible crash from faulty Chinese wheels....and this has come up 100 times on a dozen forums. Just my $0.02. This comes up every time.
2016-02-15 7:08 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by 3mar

I've got about 3,000 miles on my wheels from wheelsfar without ever having a horrible crash. I've also yet to hear of a single person having a horrible crash from faulty Chinese wheels....and this has come up 100 times on a dozen forums. Just my $0.02. This comes up every time.

Start talking to cyclist instead of triathletes and you'll hear about wheel failures.

It's not as common as it used to be, the off brand Chinese wheel makers got better at stealing the design and process from the companies that invest in the technology. I won't buy the stolen IP to be 1 minute fast than the other 40-50 year old out there.

If I keep taking 4th place because I won't buy wheel built with stolen IP and won't take drugs so be it.
2016-02-15 8:09 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by mike761

Start talking to cyclist instead of triathletes and you'll hear about wheel failures.

It's not as common as it used to be, the off brand Chinese wheel makers got better at stealing the design and process from the companies that invest in the technology. I won't buy the stolen IP to be 1 minute fast than the other 40-50 year old out there.

If I keep taking 4th place because I won't buy wheel built with stolen IP and won't take drugs so be it.

Anything that says "Made In China" comes with all the not so pleasant things that we ALL know. Human rights violations, scorched earth environmental management, stolen everything, lack of business ethics, etc etc. Yet we all have "made in China" on the back of just about everything we own (including a lot, if not all, of the name brand wheels). Doesn't it seem a bit hypocritical to draw a random line? Also, I personally bought old technology that is not under any patent, nor is it any design that any manufacturers are making.

So we use and abuse their people, environment and economy for cheap products, but if they steel anything from us, then they're the bad guys....makes sense.
2016-02-15 9:25 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by 3mar I've got about 3,000 miles on my wheels from wheelsfar without ever having a horrible crash. I've also yet to hear of a single person having a horrible crash from faulty Chinese wheels....and this has come up 100 times on a dozen forums. Just my $0.02. This comes up every time.
Start talking to cyclist instead of triathletes and you'll hear about wheel failures. It's not as common as it used to be, the off brand Chinese wheel makers got better at stealing the design and process from the companies that invest in the technology. I won't buy the stolen IP to be 1 minute fast than the other 40-50 year old out there. If I keep taking 4th place because I won't buy wheel built with stolen IP and won't take drugs so be it.

Do you have a source that the generic manufacturers are using stolen IP?

Edited by msteiner 2016-02-15 9:31 AM
2016-02-15 11:39 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by 3mar I've got about 3,000 miles on my wheels from wheelsfar without ever having a horrible crash. I've also yet to hear of a single person having a horrible crash from faulty Chinese wheels....and this has come up 100 times on a dozen forums. Just my $0.02. This comes up every time.
Start talking to cyclist instead of triathletes and you'll hear about wheel failures. It's not as common as it used to be, the off brand Chinese wheel makers got better at stealing the design and process from the companies that invest in the technology. I won't buy the stolen IP to be 1 minute fast than the other 40-50 year old out there. If I keep taking 4th place because I won't buy wheel built with stolen IP and won't take drugs so be it.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110102/15230512491/chinas-patent...

Its pretty much common knowledge that they do.

2016-02-15 11:47 AM

User image

Exton, PA

Anything that says "Made In China" comes with all the not so pleasant things that we ALL know. Human rights violations, scorched earth environmental management, stolen everything, lack of business ethics, etc etc. Yet we all have "made in China" on the back of just about everything we own (including a lot, if not all, of the name brand wheels). Doesn't it seem a bit hypocritical to draw a random line? Also, I personally bought old technology that is not under any patent, nor is it any design that any manufacturers are making.

So we use and abuse their people, environment and economy for cheap products, but if they steel anything from us, then they're the bad guys....makes sense.

Your quick to jump to conclusions and accuse people.
Actually I try not to buy from China, I try to buy stuff made in the US when I can. I would not call that an arbitrary line. I actually love the Chinese people and culture, and would love for the abuse of people and environment to stop.

No they are not the bad guys, but I'm not buying stolen IP just to knock 2 minutes off my bike time which means nothing in the end.
2016-02-15 12:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by msteiner

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110102/15230512491/chinas-patent...

Its pretty much common knowledge that they do.

I have a handful of patents to my name and have been involved in patent defense on a few occasions
If I had to pinpoint the birthplace of patent trolls, it would not be China
Just saying....

The bulk of chinese wheels do a below average implementation of expired patents
I personally would not buy a Chinese wheel unless I knew it went through a QC process I would trust.

Edited by marcag 2016-02-15 12:13 PM
2016-02-15 12:43 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by marcag

I have a handful of patents to my name and have been involved in patent defense on a few occasions
If I had to pinpoint the birthplace of patent trolls, it would not be China
Just saying....

The bulk of chinese wheels do a below average implementation of expired patents
I personally would not buy a Chinese wheel unless I knew it went through a QC process I would trust.

I have two as well, and yes there are plenty of people out there trying to steal IP. Chinese have done a good job of it in the bike industry.

Most of the CF stuff does not have an actual patent because the patent would be in the layout and manufacturing, requiring a manufacturing patent. A manufacturing patent requires you to explain exactly how the part is made, which then tells the thieves exactly how to make it. We always tried to get things classified as a design patent not a manufacturing.

The best CF design in the world means nothing if the process is bad. (wrong fiber layout, autoclave temps off by 15°, low vacuum, poor resign mix, poor quality resign, etc..)
2016-02-15 1:09 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Katy, Texas

Your quick to jump to conclusions and accuse people.
Actually I try not to buy from China, I try to buy stuff made in the US when I can. I would not call that an arbitrary line. I actually love the Chinese people and culture, and would love for the abuse of people and environment to stop.

No they are not the bad guys, but I'm not buying stolen IP just to knock 2 minutes off my bike time which means nothing in the end.

Dude, you're always the one making it personal. Look at the string.

I made a comment on safety and nothing more.

You responded on a tangent of IP theft and threw in obvious links to my personal and previous posts. See how that works. I post something that has nothing to do with anyone, then you turn it personal. Chill the heck out man.
2016-02-17 6:09 AM

User image

Master

I witnessed one and it was bad. Some of the large Fondos with lots of descents have banned full carbon wheels. Some people still use them. I talked with one of the sag guys after a 2500+ person Fondo and he said there were about 1/2 a dozen wheel failures from full carbon rims. He also mentioned that not a single one of them was a name brand wheel, which I found odd. My wife who barely weighs 50 kg has had repeated blowouts on a full carbon Chinese rear wheel which I assumed was from heat. She rides her brakes during descents and I'm sure doesn't give time for heat dispersal. I switched her back to alloy rims, and she has been fine.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wheel build help! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

"A hand-built wheel is always the best"

Started by Bripod
Views: 1469 Posts: 11

2011-05-22 2:55 PM Sprint_DA

Bike noob question - building wheel around a powertap

Started by red66stang
Views: 1831 Posts: 10

2011-02-23 10:33 AM red66stang

Unbranded, hand-built wheels vs branded

Started by nigelw
Views: 1119 Posts: 5

2011-01-20 9:02 PM nigelw

Building a wheel

Started by tri/tbay
Views: 530 Posts: 4

2010-04-05 11:43 AM VO2Matt

Choosing wheel for PowerTap build

Started by AndrewMT
Views: 1468 Posts: 23

2009-03-23 6:18 PM AndrewMT
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 27, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Hint: It's not a one-person job

date : August 7, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Looking to rent or try-before-you-buy race wheels for your next triathlon? Coach AJ checks out the service at RaceDay Wheels.
date : December 15, 2008
My back wheel needs to be trued up. It has a slight side-to-side wobble, and I feel at times like I'm going to lose control when I ride. Is this something that I should only trust to my LBS to do?

date : August 5, 2008
The wheels are my first area of concern and I have started to shop around. I find it nauseating to think of spending the same amount for wheels as my bike. Any help?
date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.

date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.