General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sports Watch Help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-02-13 12:14 PM

Subject: Sports Watch Help
Forgive me if this has been asked 1000x before, but I am looking for help selecting a watch. I am a senior aged guy who just started in triathlons last year and will be doing a Sprint in May and my first HIM this June. I have a Polar heart rate watch and chest strap but I am looking for more than just heart rate. Since I dump a lot of money into hunting and last year dropped a bundle for a new bike, I don't want to bust the budget like Ambit or Fenix2/3 type expenditure.

I want to be able to look at heart rate and split time on the same screen if possible. I want to be able to swim, bike and run with this watch. I don't care at this point about downloading training files from watch to computer or anything like that. If I do eventually get to that point I will buy a more sophisticated watch. While GPS sounds great, I don't have to have it. I have a cycle computer. A foot pod for running cadence might be nice if it didn't bust the budget, otherwise I don't care for it.

Can anyone recommend a relatively budget-priced watch that will do these things? Thanks in advance for your help.

2016-02-13 1:24 PM
in reply to: HaydenHunter

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Subject: RE: Sports Watch Help
Check out DC Rainmaker (dcrainmaker.com) as he has a lot of information about different watches with different price points.As for me, I have a Garmin 310xt. They are relatively affordable and have most of the features you are interested in.
2016-02-13 3:25 PM

User image

Used Garmin 310 ~$60 , Garmin 910 used ~$150Not sure of your budget but either one is solid and does all you're looking for plus more.
2016-02-13 9:53 PM
in reply to: tedjohn

User image

Extreme Veteran
For a budget watch, another vote for the 310xt, also has great battery life.

I only just upgraded mine as it's several years old, and once in a while was failing to upload, but still use it to this day is my primary cycling computer.

Multi-sport mode is great too for using in a race.

All that said, make sure you get it with an ant+ heart rate strap, your polar will not work with it.
2016-02-15 4:09 PM

Augusta, Georgia
Any garmin sports watch is really good, they are decent price, and do a good job at what they are supposed to. You can find used ones on ebay and amazon for good prices as well.
2016-02-16 10:00 AM

User image

DC Rainmaker is a great source for information. You could lose days just reading what he's written there and all of it is good.

Here's my recommendation though. I know you say you don't need GPS but I think if you don't get it you'll be upgrading almost immediately. That's just my guess but that's what gives you pace readings. So I vote - Garmin vivoactive. I think it's about $250. I think you can swim-bike-run and it uploads to your phone automatically via Bluetooth. Another feature that you may want as soon as you use it. It moves your training log online and then you can look at your history very easily.

It's a very clear pretty and easy to read screen.

I would not go with an older garmin but that's just my preference.

If you find you love having all this data you can go with the big 920xt which is the big kahuna at the moment.

2016-02-16 2:51 PM

User image

Pro

There's a lot going on here that perhaps you haven't thought about.  

Firstly- if you're going to invest any money at all in a new watch, it might as well be a GPS watch.  

And they ALL upload the files to the computer, so you can analyze the heck out of your workouts, or just keep track of hours and miles.  regardless- it's handy.  And short of a couple of older bottom of the line models- they'll all pick up a HR monitor (although probably not your Polar, which operates on a different frequency)

The question is- do you want a full multisport watch -that will record your swim (including counting laps for you), Bike rides and run?  Or just a waterproof running watch that you can time your swims with, most of which also will give you a readout in Miles/Hr instead of Pace in minutes/mi for when you are cycling.  all will give distance and time of course.

No- you don't need to spring $500 for a Fenix 3.  And- while the aforementioned Garmin 310xt is a solid and venerable multisport watch- it's an old design.  If you don't mind wearing something the size of a laptop on your wrist, then it still can be found for a good deal.

The polar m400 is a very reasonably priced (~$120ish), well featured running watch for less than a similarly spec'ed garmin.  And while the new Ambit 3 series (suunto) are pricey, you can pick up the prior Ambit 2 Sport- which is an incredibly solid, reliable and accurate fully featured multisport (swim bike run and more) watch for well under $200 as well.  

anyway- those are what I would recommend.

2016-02-16 3:17 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I just got a 310XT new for $119 off Amazon. Its a great value.
2016-02-16 6:33 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Pro

Originally posted by metafizx I just got a 310XT new for $119 off Amazon. Its a great value.

it's also a credit to the device, that even after 7 years (yes, the watch is just about seven years old!)

that it's still relevant in the space.

2016-02-17 8:50 AM

User image

I've had one of these for years and like it a lot. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C3R9YY6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Under $200. Pretty much everything but cadence and a lot of options to add that plus more. 

Designed and and made in Finland I believe. 

2016-02-17 10:15 AM
in reply to: #5166987

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have a Garmin FR15 that I love- mostly because I wear it as a daily watch so it's always there ready to go when I need it. I had the 910XT or something and gave it to my husband. I never used it because I never had it or it was never charged when I wanted to work out. Now- I'm sure most people are more organized that me- but with my life if I see a window to workout I need to take it- so I love my basic FR15.

2016-02-19 2:23 PM

User image

Frankfurt, Hessen
I've had the same hesitation for a while, so I waited it out a little, put a bit of money aside, and got myself the Fenix 3 a couple months later. I've never looked back since. I'm a big fan of garmin products, as they're durable, and do exactly what they're supposed to do. I wear the fenix as my everyday watch and I think it looks really good, and i'm totally thrilled with all the data, including sleep and steps. It also couples as a smartwatch, although I don't really use the feature often, as i don't like to be harassed by my phone. In any case in my opinion, the couple hundred bucks are definitely worth it, and i think it won't be outdated for a long time.
2016-02-19 3:50 PM
in reply to: AdonMobin

User image

Pro

Garmin just announced a new watch today.  The VivoActive HR.  Built in HR, multisport, activity tracking, sleep tracking, swim, bike, run, ski, etc.  Bluetooth alerts, transmits HR.  slick color screen- all for $250.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/wearabletech/wearables/vivoactive-hr/prod538374.html

Just announced today- so you can't buy it yet.  another couple months before it will be available.

there's always something new.  the industry is moving fast.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sports Watch Help Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Nike sports watch + gps

Started by powerman
Views: 4054 Posts: 13

2011-05-29 11:03 AM powerman

Help choosing my first "sports" watch

Started by Jeffreyc
Views: 1864 Posts: 22

2010-11-28 5:20 PM jsselle

Sports watch question/suggestions

Started by gti123
Views: 1615 Posts: 16

2010-02-03 12:25 AM Slugger

every day timex sports watch problems.. random

Started by tri-dg
Views: 1174 Posts: 10

2009-12-02 2:43 PM merlin2375

meal spacing and your sports watch

Started by autumn
Views: 1850 Posts: 11

2016-02-19 2:31 PM AdonMobin
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 20, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Recurrent injuries to the groin are slow to heal, easily re-injured, and will frustrate your training and competition plans. Learn about the diagnosis, anatomy and treatment of sports hernias.

date : July 11, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
"Fandom" in triathlon compared to other sports. If you're a sports fan and simply love to follow sport, why pick a sport that may offer a view of the start, the finish and a few moments in between?