General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Sort of newbi Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-02-17 7:43 AM

Subject: Sort of newbi
Hi all,

Time to introduce myself. I am 34 years old and live in the Netherlands. Last year I started training with the 22 week sprint plan but I did not stick to it. I did build some kind of base. I swim 30-40 minutes every week (about 1 kilometer freestyle), I am on a bike to get to work for about 50-60 minutes five times a week and I finished a 10k run just a few weeks ago although I do not do any running training. Now I am figuring out what plan to use. I was just invited to do a mini sprint on September 10th (380 meter swim, 8 kilometer bike and 5 kilometer run). I think that will be my A race this year.
Has anyone suggestions on what plan to use?

Marleen

2016-02-24 11:19 PM
in reply to: marvanme

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Sort of newbi

Hi Marleen, welcome to BT.  You will find this is a great site to learn and get answers to your questions.  You can find some good training plans for beginners on this site and ask questions in the triathlon talk forum.

I would recommend a few things to help you get started:

- Join a mentor group (there are a couple that focus on beginners - Ted's or 1st Timers - they are smaller groups but you'll get close personal attention)  Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions and interact with the group.  It's also a nice way to get to know a few people and some good support.  Both the groups I mention are still taking new athletes.

- Read Race Reports.  They are a great source for inspiration and information.

- Volunteer to help out at local Triathlons.  It is a lot of fun and inspirational.

It sounds like you would be able to handle a full Sprint race (700m/ 20km/ 5km) fairly soon.  A training plan from BT will help you get ready.  For a Sprint you don't need to train for long hours especially with the base you already have.

Good luck and have fun.

2016-02-26 6:28 AM
in reply to: #5167566

Subject: RE: Sort of newbi
Thank you for your very valuable information. I joined Ted's group. And I look forward to learning a lot about triathlon.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Sort of newbi Rss Feed