General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running vs biking muscles? Rss Feed  
Moderators: jmk-brooklyn, Ron Reply
2006-09-03 5:03 AM

User image

Alabama
Subject: Running vs biking muscles?
Does anyone know what percentage overlap there is in the muscles we use for running vs the muscles we use for biking?

~Mike
My Training LogMy Race Log

2006-09-03 8:11 AM
in reply to: #529739

User image

Extreme Veteran
Guelph
Subject: RE: Running vs biking muscles?

Thats a great question I hope  someone  can post a good answer.  I have been reading about  "Tri" bikes vs road bikes and one of the things they stres is the seat post angle on a tri bike uses  less running muscles  so it saves the leg for the running but how much does it save whats the trade off in bike performance?

My Race Log
2006-09-03 9:46 AM

User image

Alabama
Well I guess I'm gonna have to venture an a guess to my own question. I say there is "very little" of the same muscles and I'll tell you why.

The reason I posted this question was becasue I biked 75 miles yesterday and was looking for an excuse to NOT go running this morning. But since no one responded to my question I figured I'd just go running and see how far I could go. I ran 13 miles w/o too much trouble despite the 75 biking miles yesterday! So asert that biking is mainly the quads and glutes and running is mainly your calf muscles with just a little contribution from the quads and glutes.

This is a total guess....maybe somebody knowdgable than I will weigh in on this.

~Mike
2006-09-03 10:12 AM
in reply to: #529810

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington

Rogillio - 2006-09-03 6:46 AM Well I guess I'm gonna have to venture an a guess to my own question. I say there is "very little" of the same muscles and I'll tell you why. The reason I posted this question was becasue I biked 75 miles yesterday and was looking for an excuse to NOT go running this morning. But since no one responded to my question I figured I'd just go running and see how far I could go. I ran 13 miles w/o too much trouble despite the 75 biking miles yesterday! So asert that biking is mainly the quads and glutes and running is mainly your calf muscles with just a little contribution from the quads and glutes. This is a total guess....maybe somebody knowdgable than I will weigh in on this. ~Mike

Nice two day workout.  Now take a day of rest and let the legs rebuild.

My Race Log
2006-09-06 2:09 PM

Extreme Veteran
I'm not sure either but I had a similar experience. I ran a Hard 10k road race in August (took 2 minutes off my time!) and the next day I did a sprint tri. My legs were very sore that morning but I did just fine in the tri.  THe run was mostly hills and through the woods so that felt a lot different than the road race too.  Here's to cross training!
My Race Log
2006-09-06 2:16 PM
in reply to: #529810

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Rogillio - 2006-09-03 9:46 AM Well I guess I'm gonna have to venture an a guess to my own question. I say there is "very little" of the same muscles and I'll tell you why. The reason I posted this question was becasue I biked 75 miles yesterday and was looking for an excuse to NOT go running this morning. But since no one responded to my question I figured I'd just go running and see how far I could go. I ran 13 miles w/o too much trouble despite the 75 biking miles yesterday! So asert that biking is mainly the quads and glutes and running is mainly your calf muscles with just a little contribution from the quads and glutes. This is a total guess....maybe somebody knowdgable than I will weigh in on this. ~Mike

Running is more hammies and hip flexors, calves to a lesser extent.

Last weekend I rode 60, ran 14, rode 60 on successive days without too much trouble.

2006-09-06 8:54 PM
in reply to: #532517

User image

Alabama
the bear - 2006-09-06 2:16 PM

Running is more hammies and hip flexors, calves to a lesser extent.

Last weekend I rode 60, ran 14, rode 60 on successive days without too much trouble.

Well ya da man! In 4 successive days I biked 75, ran 13, took a day off and ran 2....and the 2 miles felt like I was running thru molasses with lead shoes on!

~Mike
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running vs biking muscles? Rss Feed