General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Arm Hair Helping Swimming? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-02-24 1:49 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: Arm Hair Helping Swimming?
I know this is counter to conventional thinking, where to be fastest in the water you shave everything, but it seems to me that any hair from your elbow down would aid in front crawl, assuming your catch is good. I don't think I've ever heard this discussed though. Isn't it the whole point of the arm from the elbow down and the hand to grab and hold on to as much water as possible? So wouldn't hair from your elbow down help that? I even noticed that newer wetsuits have patterned areas on the forearm (although this seems a little gimmicky to me). I could see where arm shaving would help reduce drag on the bike, but why do swimmers shave their arms?

Just some random thought that come to me when I'm in the pool...this is what happens to the one sport where I can't listen to music.

2016-02-24 2:05 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Arm Hair Helping Swimming?
This is why it's a good thing that people cannot blog simultaneous to working out :p
2016-02-24 2:26 PM

User image

Originally posted by 3mar I know this is counter to conventional thinking, where to be fastest in the water you shave everything, but it seems to me that any hair from your elbow down would aid in front crawl, assuming your catch is good. I don't think I've ever heard this discussed though. Isn't it the whole point of the arm from the elbow down and the hand to grab and hold on to as much water as possible? So wouldn't hair from your elbow down help that? I even noticed that newer wetsuits have patterned areas on the forearm (although this seems a little gimmicky to me). I could see where arm shaving would help reduce drag on the bike, but why do swimmers shave their arms? Just some random thought that come to me when I'm in the pool...this is what happens to the one sport where I can't listen to music.

I don't think hair would provide enough grip to make it an advantage vs shaving.  Also however small or large the gain is shaving regarding drag the mental benefit is enormous.  Ever shave before a meet?  Or better yet taper and shave, it's awesome. 

2016-02-24 2:27 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Extreme Veteran
2016-02-24 2:28 PM
in reply to: CycloneVM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by CycloneVM

This is why it's a good thing that people cannot blog simultaneous to working out :p

Ha...well during the hard workouts, it would just be, "this sucks, this sucks, this sucks, this sucks..."
2016-02-24 2:44 PM
in reply to: dfquigley

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by dfquigley Reminds me of this article: http://www.slowtwitch.com/Lifestyle/Hair_Improves_Performance_4255....

Those stripes are awesome!!

2016-02-24 2:50 PM
in reply to: dfquigley

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by dfquigley

Reminds me of this article:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Lifestyle/Hair_Improves_Performance_4255....

That is hillarious.
2016-02-24 5:27 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

What about all the time from when your hand enters the water until full extension and you begin the pull?  And then again later on in the stroke shortly before you begin your recovery.  All that time the hair is increasing your drag.  Even at the beginning of the catch there is a period of time where your arm is still moving forward (relative to the water around it) even though you are pulling back.  

Even if the hair did help your catch a tiny bit, I'm going with net loss.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Arm Hair Helping Swimming? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Help! Swimming Pool Hair Troubles

Started by KansasMom
Views: 2006 Posts: 18

2012-02-20 7:56 PM KansasMom

HELP swim /bike/ run swim/ bike/ run.Transition help

Started by deadman
Views: 1007 Posts: 1

2011-08-22 9:33 PM deadman

Arm and leg hair falling out?

Started by grandhavenbill
Views: 389 Posts: 1

2007-05-08 7:32 PM grandhavenbill

Swim question - one arm drills vs regular swimming

Started by ssshaunaaa
Views: 1506 Posts: 6

2007-04-02 6:31 AM KathyG

Swimmers, need Hair help

Started by guncollector
Views: 1714 Posts: 23

2006-10-03 11:42 PM Atlantia
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 17, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
I feel as if I am working very hard to actually breath especially on my right side. I also am not sure that I have the correct arm and hip rotation as it feels like I am fighting the water. Any help?

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
The single arm drill ensures that you are getting the rotation you need throughout your stroke.
date : March 7, 2007
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.

date : June 23, 2006
author : Team BT
One Arm Dumbbell Row strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 8
When I swim I struggle to get a full breath and consequently run down faster. I spend part of my training on the side of the pool gasping for air.

date : May 1, 2006
The one-arm drill. This drill will help you with body rotation, breathing, and pull. It also isolates one arm so you can really concentrate on what that arm is doing through the whole stroke cycle.
date : July 17, 2005
Now that you’ve mastered balancing on your side, it’s time to practice the foundation of the arm stroke.

date : February 13, 2005
The most common question I hear in the triathlete world about the mysteries of swimming efficiently usually involves something with breathing.