United States
62F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 06m 37s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Went over to race site to register and leave my car 2 hours before the start. Came home, got my stuff together and went back over 30 minutes before start time.
Event warmup:

Had a gel 20 minutes before start and did some hip, leg, & foot stretching
Run
  • 2h 06m 37s
  • 7.5 miles
  • 16m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Windy conditions made for a fun 1st half of the race, but a difficult return. Very gusty! The first 2-2.5 miles, I walked the flats and uphills and ran the downhill sections. The wind felt like a giant hand giving me a push in the middle of my back. After 2.5 miles, I started to question whether or not I should really be out there. My newly constructed toe hurt on the uphills, but otherwise I didn't notice it until the final mile when I could feel a blister growing just under the fused joint on my big toe. I stayed positive and knew once I got past the halfway mark I was ok. Actually, there was no way in hell I was going to quit once I started. I guess I knew that from the beginning. The last 3 miles into the wind were just brutal and mile 4 had the steepest hill. I was so happy to get past it. I knew at this point, there was no way in hell I was going to make my time goal of 2 hours, so I set it out another 6 minutes. (My brain at the time was convinced that was another minute per mile,) I had a gel somewhere between miles 2.5 & 3. Worked out perfectly because shortly after I had it, there was a water station. I had my second gel really just to give myself a mental boost around mile 6. I needed some water to get it washed down, but there were no more stops. Like magic, a vehicle drove up beside me and handed me a bottle of water. Nice touch - It came at just the right time! The final 3/4 mile stretch was slightly uphill and I was still working towards my time goal. I picked up the pace as best I could, but even rounding the final turn, my finish line run was more of a shuffle.
What would you do differently?:

I'm not really sure. This was a starting point for the season and something to build on. I didn't really train for it and I was definitely winging it. Not making any excuses, considering the health issues, I'm thrilled to be out there! I had some problems with blistering that I need to get figured out, but I'm not sure if it was my shoes (Altras) or new socks (Balegas) This was roughly twice the longest distance I've worn the zero drop Altras. No complaints from my calves at all, but they may have been the culprit for the blistering.
Post race
Warm down:

Went inside, had some water and ice cream and talked to a lady who was just ahead of me on the course. Turns out she kept waiting for me to pass her and all the while, she was slowly pulling away from me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1. Lack of conditioning
2. Lack of training
3. Feet

Event comments:

Race is a block from my house on a beautiful rolling country loop.

Last updated: 2016-02-28 12:00 AM
Running
02:06:37 | 07.5 miles | 16m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
M1 15:51 M2 16:04 M3 16:08 M4 17.10 M5 17.09 M6 17:17 M7 17:49 Last .53 16:50 pace
Course: Short out and back, then a single loop East, North, West, South
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-02-28 7:08 PM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Subject: Winter Run

2016-02-29 2:09 AM
in reply to: #5169620

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: RE: Winter Run
Way to get out there and race early!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Winter Run Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Great Winter Run

Started by djnickwatt
Views: 879 Posts: 1

2007-02-23 7:23 AM djnickwatt

Bob Coleman 10K Winter Run

Started by kvesey
Views: 1276 Posts: 2

2007-02-03 3:58 PM spokes

Bob Coleman Winter Run (10K)

Started by Spokes
Views: 1514 Posts: 12

2007-02-05 1:02 PM jmwebs

Nookachamps Winter Run 10k

Started by teechur
Views: 917 Posts: 2

2005-01-17 6:37 AM scuba-punk

Portland Winter Run

Started by fromer
Views: 1514 Posts: 12

2005-01-19 7:23 PM KSMITH
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2015
author : mikericci
comments : 2
How to prepare your body before heading out into the cold.

date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.
date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training

date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!
date : October 23, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their run. The athlete must be able to run for at least 1 hour and should be able to complete 4 weekly run sessions.

date : October 31, 2004
author : tmwelshy
To prevent a mental breakdown before you even get to the starting line, use the winter months to set goals, build your base, vary your workouts, cut back on training and throw in some variety.
date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
Well its the middle of winter and there is 5 inches of snow on the ground and I am too cheap to buy a gym membership and take spinning classes, so what do I do?

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
My body thanks me for the extra sleep and added recovery.