General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Upper Body Injury from running? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-02-29 2:27 PM

User image

Subject: Upper Body Injury from running?

Is it possible to pull something in your chest from running.  I am slowly increasing my long run and yesterday I added a mile.  Today I have a tender to the touch spot almost in the center of my chest.  Lower inside pec to be exact.  What are the chances this is from running?  I do tend to run with a tight or tense upper body if I am not paying attention.  My arms were a little tired by the end of the run.  By that I had to shake them out a few times.

I could have pulled something doing yard work earlier in the day but I didn't notice it on the run.

2016-03-01 9:54 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Subject: RE: Upper Body Injury from running?

No one ? 

Oh well I tried google again and apparently it's not common for men but can happen to women who do not wear proper support.   That's great, now I have a whole new bag of questions and concerns. 

2016-03-01 12:05 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

I've not encountered any chest injuries from running, but shoulder injuries can occur.  I'm drawing a blank on what's it's called, but there's a name for a particular shoulder injury associated with the military and the miles that they put in during training.  I also have a client who's currently training for a marathon who's torn shoulder  labrum (happened during a Tough Mudder last year) continues to be aggravated significantly by the running.  (He's scheduled for surgery the Monday after his race)  So, I'd say it's theoretically possible.

Are you sure you didn't do something else to it, then irritated it running?

2016-03-01 12:25 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

I'm starting to thing it was from something earlier in the day.  The reason I thought it might have been from running was I didn't feel or notice anything during the run.  Now that I'm typing this I'm realizing it didn't hurt until the next morning so it could've been anything.  I was starting to question running at all this week but from what I read it shouldn't matter.  One article mentioned no matter how bad your form is you shouldn't injure where I am feeling it. 

Swim tonight might be a different story.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Upper Body Injury from running? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Are running injuries directly related to body weight?

Started by Caroleena
Views: 1342 Posts: 15

2012-04-16 7:54 PM Caroleena

Running Form - Upper Body

Started by Barkeep
Views: 1119 Posts: 11

2011-10-30 11:45 AM Flapjack

Upper body during run...

Started by laurie2829
Views: 1409 Posts: 12

2010-07-06 2:13 PM laurie2829

The value of upper body strength training Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by TexOma
Views: 3800 Posts: 97

2006-12-05 10:01 PM Hawk1964

Upper body work-outs?

Started by GamblerZ
Views: 1528 Posts: 7

2004-02-16 10:08 AM JaWaLav
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2015
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
What foot injuries are common in triathletes, and how can I prevent the serious ones?

date : November 15, 2012
author : PosiChiro.com
Dr. Kathy Coutinho’s presentation will discuss how to attain ultimate form and balance to maximize your body’s athletic function, includes many techniques for injury prevention.
date : December 22, 2011
comments : 2
Three sports medicine Doctors discuss the results of our user injury poll

date : May 8, 2007
Do you have any ideas about why my body does not fully heal these many muscle injuries and is having an especially difficult time healing my calf?
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Video on what body marking is all about during check-in.

date : July 5, 2005
author : Michael Silva
comments : 1
I don't really strength train (because I never have and don't really know much about it) and feel like my lack of upper body strength is the reason why I'm not getting faster.
date : October 31, 2004
author : ewkfit
I may not have pre-pubescent hips or breasts and at 36 that would be ridiculous. I do not need to have an "airbrushed body" and why do I revere that?

date : October 10, 2004
author : FIN16
The human body can endure extreme physical hardships but a trained, confident mind can endure much more.