General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shoulder Injury Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-03-02 11:28 AM

User image

Subject: Shoulder Injury
I had surgery on a labral tear three years ago. I went through PT and have had no problems with it.

I decided to do a tri in December and started training with the 20 week swim focused plan. Unfortunately after about a week of swimming I experienced shoulder pain and had to stop the swimming. I have rested it for a month and a half and done some PT. In the meantime I have been doing weight training, running and biking. The pain is gone and I did my first swim yesterday. So far so good but I am caucus. It took a few swim sessions last time before feeling pain.

I am now behind on my swimming training and that is the one I need to work on the most. I do not want to overstrain my shoulder. Any ideas about how to get the most training without re-injuring myself?

Thanks!

2016-03-02 6:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Subject: RE: Shoulder Injury
How much work in PT was spent on rotator cuff work and have you kept that up?
You have to keep doing it diligently

Also watch your range of motion in the pool, try not to over pronate upon entry, try to enter with elbow bent and palm down vs. entering with thumb.
Also try to not cross midline (imagine a straight line extending from your head) upon entry either, enter level with the shoulder, will aggravate the capsule less. If you do weight training, avoid going all the way down with pressing movements (like a bar all the way down to the chest of bench presses) , don't go lower than 90 degrees in the elbow.

All these things, in addition to rotator cuff training will help.

Edited by TJHammer 2016-03-02 6:11 PM
2016-05-31 2:01 AM

User image

Dude you have already undergone a treatment for the same. Is this problem because of loss of confidence? Yoga would be a good choice at this point of time. Yoga has been an answer for so many troubles. An article that helped me reach this conclusion was this:
http://www.aesmphysiotherapytoronto.ca/programs/yoga-therapy/
I am an athlete and I was under a treatment in Rehab because of my addiction. After that, I underwent a Yoga therapy and oh my God the experience I had was awesome. It was like a new life feeling for me and felt as if I have restored something that I lost.

Edited by nipon 2016-05-31 2:02 AM
2016-06-07 5:38 PM

User image

Hi,

TJ- Thanks for the advise.

I took swim lessons to make sure my form was good. Included in that was learning to breathe bilaterally. That helped a bunch. After that the shoulder pain was still gone and I kept getting stronger at the swim. It is now my favorite part. My tri was last Saturday and I did the best against my wave with the swim.

Edited by killerrabbit 2016-06-07 5:40 PM
2016-06-07 6:53 PM
in reply to: killerrabbit

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by killerrabbit

Hi,

TJ- Thanks for the advise.

I took swim lessons to make sure my form was good. Included in that was learning to breathe bilaterally. That helped a bunch. After that the shoulder pain was still gone and I kept getting stronger at the swim. It is now my favorite part. My tri was last Saturday and I did the best against my wave with the swim.

Nice!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shoulder Injury Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Shoulder Injury

Started by runner
Views: 1061 Posts: 3

2009-07-15 12:40 PM runner

Old Separated Shoulder Injury

Started by TeddieMao
Views: 1482 Posts: 2

2008-07-11 8:48 PM oceanannie

Shoulder Injury

Started by courtney_leone
Views: 1030 Posts: 5

2006-02-06 7:27 AM courtney_leone

shoulder injury

Started by KathyG
Views: 1080 Posts: 6

2004-10-15 10:53 AM Rowdy

shoulder injuries

Started by houston-tri-mamma
Views: 1267 Posts: 5

2004-09-23 6:24 AM TriMom217
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
The anatomy, diagnosis and treatment of swimmer's shoulder.

date : February 6, 2012
comments : 0
How to regain enough range of motion to swim freestyle after a shoulder injury or surgery
date : July 15, 2008
I get a very bad shoulder pain (left side only) when on the bike for over 45 minutes. The pain seems to be between my shoulder blades but only on the left side.

date : October 2, 2007
author : sportfactory
comments : 9
Poor swim technique, overtraining, unilateral breathing, overuse of training equipment all can cause swimmer's shoulder. Read how to avoid injury and strengthen your muscles.
date : February 21, 2007
Here’s a review of three common injuries in triathletes and a brief review of what to do if you experience one of these injuries: Runner’s Knee, Achilles Tendonitis and Swimmers Shoulder.

date : April 17, 2005
Often I also see an imbalance in the front muscles of the shoulder, such as the pectoralis, and the back muscles, such as the rotator cuff and shoulder blade stabilizers. I would recommend:
date : April 9, 2005
Differentiating between the different causes of rotator cuff-related pain is not important initially, because primary treatment for all of them is the same.

date : October 24, 2004
author : infosteward
As triathletes, we’re lucky enough to worry not about just one injury but many. Most of these injuries will be common overuse injuries.