Other Resources The Political Joe » The Elephant in the room... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2016-03-03 12:56 PM

User image

Pro
Subject: The Elephant in the room...

I have alluded, in other posts, to the idea that I think Trump is a force because people are tired of the constant protests, constant finger pointing that they are the problem, etc.  I'll throw it out there.........it's mostly white people who are tired of it from what I hear (and see).  Look at Trump's rallies......not many people of color there.  We have been bombarded with the idea that white people in our country benefit greatly from "white privilege", if not outright racism.  We get it through the protests, the media, our politicians....sometimes even our President.  All groups that Trump attacks with gusto.

So, how much of Trump's success do you think has a racial element to it?  I think it's stronger then we want to admit.  I think Trump has seized an opportunity under the current climate of division and it's paying off big.

2016-03-03 1:25 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: The Elephant in the room...
And it is an ugly Elephant...

It is a two edged sword in the General Election for Trump though, as he is alienating women and especially minorities at a feverish pace as well...
2016-03-03 1:30 PM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Pro

Originally posted by ejshowers And it is an ugly Elephant... It is a two edged sword in the General Election for Trump though, as he is alienating women and especially minorities at a feverish pace as well...

I'm not sure who he is alienating yet.....I know he drove record number of Republicans to the polls in the primaries so far.  There's no way that can be attributed to Cruz or Rubio in my mind.  The crazy thing is......the harder the "establishment" hits him, the stronger his appeal seems to be.  In fact, the idea that he hits them right back may BE his appeal. 

2016-03-03 1:34 PM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Pro
Tejas
My daughter had white privilege thrown in her face at school a few weeks ago by one of her Hispanic friends. The hispanic girl had received a scholarship and college admission that only hispanics are eligible to receive. The girl basically just told her that my daughter was simply not eligible because she had white privilege and was rich. My daughter has not started the college /scholarship application process yet as she is still in 10th grade. She was not aware that acceptance for college and scholarships is weighted differently for minority students and the whole concept really ticked her off. She's a big Trump fan as a result.
2016-03-03 1:35 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by Left Brain

In fact, the idea that he hits them right back may BE his appeal. 

^^^ this^^^^
2016-03-03 3:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
As I've said, I don't necessarily think Trump is a racist, nor are most of his followers. I think Trump is an opportunist and a demagogue and he'll say literally whatever he thinks will get him the biggest cheer or the most votes from a given population.

And if that means gleefully recounting a story about murdering Muslims with pig-blood-soaked bullets or targeting terrorist's families, or suggesting that black protesters ought to get "roughed up" by the crowd, he's not above doing so. I think it's entirely calculated.

Understanding his audience, and knowing exactly what they want to hear him say is his strength. Whether what he's saying is true or whether it's (IMO) reprehensible doesn't concern him at all or even cross his radar screen. It's about saying whatever gets the biggest cheer in the moment.

The problem with that, from my pov, is that there's a pretty big segment of the population that doesn't get that Trump is a demagogue--they think he's a bigot, just like they are. You think Trump would tell the story about pig-blood dipped bullets in front of a crowd if he didn't think they'd lap it up? Of course not. But some people hear that and think, "Hey, this guy hates Muslims as much as I do!" And we've seen, over and over again, that his comments have emboldened some people to act on their bigotry. Those people feel that the fact that there is a guy, who seems to despise Mexicans and Muslims and black people as much as they do, is a leading candidate for president gives support to their beliefs and I don't think there's any doubt that some of those people have felt encouraged to demonstrate their prejudice more openly as a result of some of the comments that he's made.

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2016-03-03 3:19 PM

2016-03-03 3:17 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by mdg2003

My daughter had white privilege thrown in her face at school a few weeks ago by one of her Hispanic friends. The hispanic girl had received a scholarship and college admission that only hispanics are eligible to receive. The girl basically just told her that my daughter was simply not eligible because she had white privilege and was rich. My daughter has not started the college /scholarship application process yet as she is still in 10th grade. She was not aware that acceptance for college and scholarships is weighted differently for minority students and the whole concept really ticked her off. She's a big Trump fan as a result.

Well, the average white person makes about 25% more than the average Hispanic, so I'm pretty sure your daughter will have the last laugh.
2016-03-03 4:12 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

Well, the average white person makes about 25% more than the average Hispanic, so I'm pretty sure your daughter will have the last laugh.

She will need that with all the extra tuition she will have to pay. .

I know this been an issue for awhile. They had movie based on it. It was called "Soul Man". I know when I was trying to find a way to pay for college I ran into need to be a minority or a woman a lot. my black coworker told me it was OK to apply since I am half black (very freckly).
2016-03-03 5:03 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by chirunner134

She will need that with all the extra tuition she will have to pay. .

I know this been an issue for awhile. They had movie based on it. It was called "Soul Man". I know when I was trying to find a way to pay for college I ran into need to be a minority or a woman a lot. my black coworker told me it was OK to apply since I am half black (very freckly).

There are a lot of "minority" scholarships that are available to people of any race-- all you have to do is apply. My friend in college had a scholarship from some Hispanic foundation and he didn't have a drop of Spanish blood in him. My company works with an organization that was founded upon trying to find opportunities for black kids in my industry, and they sponsor a bunch of scholarships, and every year there are two or three white or Asian kids among the scholarship recipients. So it's not as exclusive as you may think.
2016-03-03 5:22 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I've been to a couple Trump rally's and the people were regular folks who have jobs, kids, and a retirement account who simply don't like the way our politics are being run today.  I think it's really that simple because all the establishment types want to keep the status quo and Trump doesn't.

With Bernie we saw the same sentiment on the DNC side, but unfortunately this close to Obama they're not organized enough to overthrow the corrupt establishment and Hillary looks like she'll make it through.

I'm very far removed from the protests, BLM, and all the other "anti-white" stuff so it doesn't contribute in any way to my support for Trump.  I'm just sick and tired of the corrupt and irresponsible behavior out of Washington.  Trump has a lot of negatives that I don't even like, but being an outsider "trumps" all that for me.  Generally speaking, all of my friend Trump supporters feel the same way.

2016-03-04 12:02 PM

User image

I have alluded, in other posts, to the idea that I think Trump is a force because people are tired of the constant protests, constant finger pointing that they are the problem, etc.  I'll throw it out there.........it's mostly white people who are tired of it from what I hear (and see).  Look at Trump's rallies......not many people of color there.  We have been bombarded with the idea that white people in our country benefit greatly from "white privilege", if not outright racism.  We get it through the protests, the media, our politicians....sometimes even our President.  All groups that Trump attacks with gusto.

So, how much of Trump's success do you think has a racial element to it?  I think it's stronger then we want to admit.  I think Trump has seized an opportunity under the current climate of division and it's paying off big.

I've thought about this since you posted it LB. 

I'm not 100% sure I completely know what you are asking. I did think of a situation going on right now that makes me think the following is what you are getting at. 

As i write this the Federal Government is attempting at great cost to the tax payer and Apple to force them, without compensation to develop software to break into a phone owned by a county government and operated by a terrorist. This will also diminish the value of Apples product. 

Now, the other side of the coin, that same Federal Government admittedly refused to look at the female terrorist public Facebook page when she was applying to come into the USA or apply for citizenship. Why, they didn't want the appearence of seeming to be profiling, being politically incorrect or darn it, just not Being nice people.

Many may hate Trump for whatever reason and point out his many failures and mistakes, but know this, the most successful people are going to also have the most failures. Rubio and Cruz have no business failures, they also have Zero business success and Rubio proved he has no business sense Last night.

2016-03-04 12:22 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by crusevegas

I'm not 100% sure I completely know what you are asking. I did think of a situation going on right now that makes me think the following is what you are getting at. 

As i write this the Federal Government is attempting at great cost to the tax payer and Apple to force them, without compensation to develop software to break into a phone owned by a county government and operated by a terrorist. This will also diminish the value of Apples product. 

Now, the other side of the coin, that same Federal Government admittedly refused to look at the female terrorist public Facebook page when she was applying to come into the USA or apply for citizenship. Why, they didn't want the appearence of seeming to be profiling, being politically incorrect or darn it, just not Being nice people.

Many may hate Trump for whatever reason and point out his many failures and mistakes, but know this, the most successful people are going to also have the most failures. Rubio and Cruz have no business failures, they also have Zero business success and Rubio proved he has no business sense Last night.

I was actually talking about much more blatant racism.  As I have said before, I follow the twitter accounts of quite a few BLM protestors.  While I think quite a bit of what they tweet is misinformed or misguided, not all of it is.  Certainly there are things that we, the Police, can do much better.  However, the amount of threats, vitriol, and absolute hatred that is continuously heaped on them is actually startling.  Lately, quite a bit of it refers to getting Trump elected so that those folks will "get what's coming to them". etc.  "I can't wait to see your faces when you realize who is still in control" is a common sentiment.  I could go on and on about the things I see and read there.  I can say, absolutely, that Trump is mentioned overwhelmingly more compared to any other candidate in that light.  It's why I started this post.......because I think there is a racism factor in this election that probably outpaces anything we saw in the Obama elections....and most of it, rightly or wrongly, surrounds Trump and his supporters.

Edited by Left Brain 2016-03-04 12:30 PM
2016-03-04 2:44 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

I was actually talking about much more blatant racism.  As I have said before, I follow the twitter accounts of quite a few BLM protestors.  While I think quite a bit of what they tweet is misinformed or misguided, not all of it is.  Certainly there are things that we, the Police, can do much better.  However, the amount of threats, vitriol, and absolute hatred that is continuously heaped on them is actually startling.  Lately, quite a bit of it refers to getting Trump elected so that those folks will "get what's coming to them". etc.  "I can't wait to see your faces when you realize who is still in control" is a common sentiment.  I could go on and on about the things I see and read there.  I can say, absolutely, that Trump is mentioned overwhelmingly more compared to any other candidate in that light.  It's why I started this post.......because I think there is a racism factor in this election that probably outpaces anything we saw in the Obama elections....and most of it, rightly or wrongly, surrounds Trump and his supporters.

I have a friend who works as a columnist for a newspaper in a major city. While the paper itself isn't particularly liberal, he certainly is and he's been an outspoken critic of Trump from the beginning. From fairly early on,his mailbox and twitter have been filled up with some of the most shockingly anti-Semitic stuff-- comments, pictures of concentration camp victims, racist cartoons, etc. He writes similar columns about Cruz and Rubio, and while he gets plenty of harsh rebuttals and offensive comments from their supporters, it's nothing like the response when he mentions Trump.

In one column, he mentioned his girlfriend, who works for a Democratic candidate as a campaign manager, and within 24 hours, her mailbox and twitter feed were also full of not only anti-Semitic stuff, but also rape-related comments, etc.

Mind you, this is not the first GOP candidate that he's ever been critical of. He's been writing the same kinds of things about Romney, Bush, Dole, McCain, etc. for decades, but this is the first time that he's ever seen this kind of response from the supporters of a "mainstream" candidate.

You're right that there's something different going on. Trump may not want to address it, because votes are votes, and if I was a Trump supporter who wasn't a racist or anti-Semite, I would sure want to pretend that those people had nothing in common with me, too, but the elephant is in the room. No question about it.
2016-03-05 7:01 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

New user

I have a friend who works as a columnist for a newspaper in a major city. While the paper itself isn't particularly liberal, he certainly is and he's been an outspoken critic of Trump from the beginning. From fairly early on,his mailbox and twitter have been filled up with some of the most shockingly anti-Semitic stuff-- comments, pictures of concentration camp victims, racist cartoons, etc. He writes similar columns about Cruz and Rubio, and while he gets plenty of harsh rebuttals and offensive comments from their supporters, it's nothing like the response when he mentions Trump.

In one column, he mentioned his girlfriend, who works for a Democratic candidate as a campaign manager, and within 24 hours, her mailbox and twitter feed were also full of not only anti-Semitic stuff, but also rape-related comments, etc.

Mind you, this is not the first GOP candidate that he's ever been critical of. He's been writing the same kinds of things about Romney, Bush, Dole, McCain, etc. for decades, but this is the first time that he's ever seen this kind of response from the supporters of a "mainstream" candidate.

You're right that there's something different going on. Trump may not want to address it, because votes are votes, and if I was a Trump supporter who wasn't a racist or anti-Semite, I would sure want to pretend that those people had nothing in common with me, too, but the elephant is in the room. No question about it.

Nothing new. Perhaps what is new is that it is happening to a different group . I know several conservative columnists and a syndicated talk show host (now has security for his family) who always have been threatened, especially during election cycles. Doesn't make it right, its just always been there.

2016-03-05 9:35 AM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Pro

Originally posted by NXS

I have a friend who works as a columnist for a newspaper in a major city. While the paper itself isn't particularly liberal, he certainly is and he's been an outspoken critic of Trump from the beginning. From fairly early on,his mailbox and twitter have been filled up with some of the most shockingly anti-Semitic stuff-- comments, pictures of concentration camp victims, racist cartoons, etc. He writes similar columns about Cruz and Rubio, and while he gets plenty of harsh rebuttals and offensive comments from their supporters, it's nothing like the response when he mentions Trump. In one column, he mentioned his girlfriend, who works for a Democratic candidate as a campaign manager, and within 24 hours, her mailbox and twitter feed were also full of not only anti-Semitic stuff, but also rape-related comments, etc. Mind you, this is not the first GOP candidate that he's ever been critical of. He's been writing the same kinds of things about Romney, Bush, Dole, McCain, etc. for decades, but this is the first time that he's ever seen this kind of response from the supporters of a "mainstream" candidate. You're right that there's something different going on. Trump may not want to address it, because votes are votes, and if I was a Trump supporter who wasn't a racist or anti-Semite, I would sure want to pretend that those people had nothing in common with me, too, but the elephant is in the room. No question about it.
Nothing new. Perhaps what is new is that it is happening to a different group . I know several conservative columnists and a syndicated talk show host (now has security for his family) who always have been threatened, especially during election cycles. Doesn't make it right, its just always been there.

NXS - I'm not tracking you......which group are you referring to?

2016-03-05 10:21 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by NXS

You're suggesting that racism and bigotry being directors towards blacks and Jews is new to this election cycle?

2016-03-06 6:46 AM

New user
I was referring to liberal reporters in general. you made it sound as if it was the first time a reporter (liberal) received hate mail/threat and it was because of Trump. I was pointing out that a few state/regional conservative reporters I know always seem to get hate mail/threats, esp. during election cycles. Sorry for not understanding your post.

Edited by NXS 2016-03-06 7:02 AM
2016-03-06 10:29 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by NXS I was referring to liberal reporters in general. you made it sound as if it was the first time a reporter (liberal) received hate mail/threat and it was because of Trump. I was pointing out that a few state/regional conservative reporters I know always seem to get hate mail/threats, esp. during election cycles. Sorry for not understanding your post.

Oh I see where you went.  No, I wasn't referring to reporters.....they can all get hate mail as far as I'm concerned.  I was talking about Trumps campaign in general, and many of his supporters in particular.  There just seems to be this cloud of racism hanging around them.  I understand some of it.......we (white people) are getting hammered pretty good regarding our "privilege" by protest groups, the media, etc. so there seems to be a backlash in much of Trump's support.  It's not warranted, in my mind, and it's increasing the divide.

2016-03-06 11:02 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by NXS I was referring to liberal reporters in general. you made it sound as if it was the first time a reporter (liberal) received hate mail/threat and it was because of Trump. I was pointing out that a few state/regional conservative reporters I know always seem to get hate mail/threats, esp. during election cycles. Sorry for not understanding your post.

Oh I see where you went.  No, I wasn't referring to reporters.....they can all get hate mail as far as I'm concerned.  I was talking about Trumps campaign in general, and many of his supporters in particular.  There just seems to be this cloud of racism hanging around them.  I understand some of it.......we (white people) are getting hammered pretty good regarding our "privilege" by protest groups, the media, etc. so there seems to be a backlash in much of Trump's support.  It's not warranted, in my mind, and it's increasing the divide.

by 'cloud', I'm assuming you mean Swastikas, Rebel Flags, KKK shirts, physical assaults on people of color....those types of 'clouds'?

2016-03-06 11:40 AM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jeffnboise

by 'cloud', I'm assuming you mean Swastikas, Rebel Flags, KKK shirts, physical assaults on people of color....those types of 'clouds'?

Maybe, but I try not just fall off the cliff when it comes to this stuff, because there are also Trump supporters who look at him as simply better for the economy, trade issues, etc. Throwing EVERYONE into the same pile is rarely a good idea in my mind.

For what it's worth, I have ZERO problem with the rebel flag or letting the South have their civil war heroes, statues, etc.  Millions died in that war.....it's worth remembering.

2016-03-06 12:47 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by NXS

I was referring to liberal reporters in general. you made it sound as if it was the first time a reporter (liberal) received hate mail/threat and it was because of Trump. I was pointing out that a few state/regional conservative reporters I know always seem to get hate mail/threats, esp. during election cycles. Sorry for not understanding your post.

I didn't say that at all. In fact, I said it's not even the first time that he's gotten hate mail in this election cycle. But the level of bigotry and vile abuse that he's gotten specifically from trump supporters not only goes well beyond anything he's ever gotten in any previous election, but it even goes well beyond what he's gotten in this election from supporters of any other candidate.

2016-03-06 2:29 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Maybe, but I try not just fall off the cliff when it comes to this stuff, because there are also Trump supporters who look at him as simply better for the economy, trade issues, etc. Throwing EVERYONE into the same pile is rarely a good idea in my mind.

For what it's worth, I have ZERO problem with the rebel flag or letting the South have their civil war heroes, statues, etc.  Millions died in that war.....it's worth remembering.

Sorry.  Racism and hate speech 'trump' a candidates questionable business experience. (no pun intended)  This F#%Ktard is running to be the President of the UNITED States; The ruler of the FREE world.   Pretty big elephant if you ask me.

How is it some folks seem so willing to support a guy who spews such hate?   You gotta stand for something in life.  I won't stand with racism.

(and, BTW, the "rebel" flag=civil war history is patently false.  The Rebel flag only reappeared during the Race Riots of the 60's.  It's meaning is obvious.)

2016-03-06 2:47 PM

User image

Pro

Sorry.  Racism and hate speech 'trump' a candidates questionable business experience. (no pun intended)  This F#%Ktard is running to be the President of the UNITED States; The ruler of the FREE world.   Pretty big elephant if you ask me.

How is it some folks seem so willing to support a guy who spews such hate?   You gotta stand for something in life.  I won't stand with racism.

(and, BTW, the "rebel" flag=civil war history is patently false.  The Rebel flag only reappeared during the Race Riots of the 60's.  It's meaning is obvious.)

Dude- you've never spent any time in the South apparently.....those boys have been flying that flag forever.  LOL  The same way you'll never be anything but a yankee to them.

Edited by Left Brain 2016-03-06 2:49 PM
2016-03-06 3:00 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Dude- you've never spent any time in the South apparently.....those boys have been flying that flag forever.  LOL  The same way you'll never be anything but a yankee to them.

Yep!  We won that war.  That's why we don't keep nukes south of the Mason-Dixon line.   The South may rise again; clutching their bibles, rebel flags and rope nooses,  but they'll fall again, too. 

(I wasn't born in Idaho.  I'm a Midwesterner at heart.  I'm an SIU Saluki)

2016-03-06 3:13 PM

User image

Pro

Yep!  We won that war.  That's why we don't keep nukes south of the Mason-Dixon line.   The South may rise again; clutching their bibles, rebel flags and rope nooses,  but they'll fall again, too. 

(I wasn't born in Idaho.  I'm a Midwesterner at heart.  I'm an SIU Saluki)

Bro - everybody north of hwy 40 in Arkansas is a Yankee to them. 

Edited by Left Brain 2016-03-06 3:14 PM
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » The Elephant in the room... Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Man in ladies room Pages: 1 2

Started by velocomp
Views: 3702 Posts: 28

2013-07-04 10:53 AM DanielG