Other Resources The Political Joe » The Elephant in the room... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2016-03-06 6:55 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: The Elephant in the room...
Originally posted by jeffnboise

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by NXS I was referring to liberal reporters in general. you made it sound as if it was the first time a reporter (liberal) received hate mail/threat and it was because of Trump. I was pointing out that a few state/regional conservative reporters I know always seem to get hate mail/threats, esp. during election cycles. Sorry for not understanding your post.

Oh I see where you went.  No, I wasn't referring to reporters.....they can all get hate mail as far as I'm concerned.  I was talking about Trumps campaign in general, and many of his supporters in particular.  There just seems to be this cloud of racism hanging around them.  I understand some of it.......we (white people) are getting hammered pretty good regarding our "privilege" by protest groups, the media, etc. so there seems to be a backlash in much of Trump's support.  It's not warranted, in my mind, and it's increasing the divide.

by 'cloud', I'm assuming you mean Swastikas, Rebel Flags, KKK shirts, physical assaults on people of color....those types of 'clouds'?

Maybe, but I try not just fall off the cliff when it comes to this stuff, because there are also Trump supporters who look at him as simply better for the economy, trade issues, etc. Throwing EVERYONE into the same pile is rarely a good idea in my mind.

For what it's worth, I have ZERO problem with the rebel flag or letting the South have their civil war heroes, statues, etc.  Millions died in that war.....it's worth remembering.

Sorry.  Racism and hate speech 'trump' a candidates questionable business experience. (no pun intended)  This F#%Ktard is running to be the President of the UNITED States; The ruler of the FREE world.   Pretty big elephant if you ask me.

How is it some folks seem so willing to support a guy who spews such hate?   You gotta stand for something in life.  I won't stand with racism.

(and, BTW, the "rebel" flag=civil war history is patently false.  The Rebel flag only reappeared during the Race Riots of the 60's.  It's meaning is obvious.)

I think everyone here would rally around the phrase, "I won't stand with racism," but to have folks claim that's what Trump is about is quite misleading.
Again, I'm a tried and true left o' center guy on most things, but to imply or say Trump is a racist, I just believe that's a false claim.
In fact, I'd feel FAR more comfortable with Trump as POTUS than Cruz or Rubio.

2016-03-06 7:29 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by NXS I was referring to liberal reporters in general. you made it sound as if it was the first time a reporter (liberal) received hate mail/threat and it was because of Trump. I was pointing out that a few state/regional conservative reporters I know always seem to get hate mail/threats, esp. during election cycles. Sorry for not understanding your post.

Oh I see where you went.  No, I wasn't referring to reporters.....they can all get hate mail as far as I'm concerned.  I was talking about Trumps campaign in general, and many of his supporters in particular.  There just seems to be this cloud of racism hanging around them.  I understand some of it.......we (white people) are getting hammered pretty good regarding our "privilege" by protest groups, the media, etc. so there seems to be a backlash in much of Trump's support.  It's not warranted, in my mind, and it's increasing the divide.

by 'cloud', I'm assuming you mean Swastikas, Rebel Flags, KKK shirts, physical assaults on people of color....those types of 'clouds'?

Maybe, but I try not just fall off the cliff when it comes to this stuff, because there are also Trump supporters who look at him as simply better for the economy, trade issues, etc. Throwing EVERYONE into the same pile is rarely a good idea in my mind.

For what it's worth, I have ZERO problem with the rebel flag or letting the South have their civil war heroes, statues, etc.  Millions died in that war.....it's worth remembering.

Sorry.  Racism and hate speech 'trump' a candidates questionable business experience. (no pun intendedThis F#%Ktard is running to be the President of the UNITED States; The ruler of the FREE world.   Pretty big elephant if you ask me.

How is it some folks seem so willing to support a guy who spews such hate?   You gotta stand for something in life.  I won't stand with racism.

(and, BTW, the "rebel" flag=civil war history is patently false.  The Rebel flag only reappeared during the Race Riots of the 60's.  It's meaning is obvious.)

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.  Just sayin.

2016-03-06 7:31 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by tuwood

Sorry.  Racism and hate speech 'trump' a candidates questionable business experience. (no pun intendedThis F#%Ktard is running to be the President of the UNITED States; The ruler of the FREE world.   Pretty big elephant if you ask me.

You lost me. What are you 'just sayin'. 

2016-03-06 7:39 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

You spew your hatred for Trump, and then demean him for speaking hatefully.  I know you don't see it as hate because it's what you believe, but it's still hate.

2016-03-06 7:43 PM
in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy

Sorry.  Racism and hate speech 'trump' a candidates questionable business experience. (no pun intended)  This F#%Ktard is running to be the President of the UNITED States; The ruler of the FREE world.   Pretty big elephant if you ask me.

I think everyone here would rally around the phrase, "I won't stand with racism," but to have folks claim that's what Trump is about is quite misleading. Again, I'm a tried and true left o' center guy on most things, but to imply or say Trump is a racist, I just believe that's a false claim. In fact, I'd feel FAR more comfortable with Trump as POTUS than Cruz or Rubio.

If you're gonna associate with racists, pander for the continued support of racists, refuse to denounce the behavior of racists at events bearing your name....you're right.  He is, in fact,  a despicable, coward. 

2016-03-06 7:47 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

You spew your hatred for Trump, and then demean him for speaking hatefully.  I know you don't see it as hate because it's what you believe, but it's still hate.

Don't confuse my re-telling of his documented statements and actions as 'my hate'.  I don't think enough of the guy to 'hate' him.  I'm just waiting to see how far this clown takes people into the open water, before they start to say, "Oh, sheet-I can't see the shore anymore!".

2016-03-06 9:23 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I think everyone here would rally around the phrase, "I won't stand with racism," but to have folks claim that's what Trump is about is quite misleading. Again, I'm a tried and true left o' center guy on most things, but to imply or say Trump is a racist, I just believe that's a false claim. In fact, I'd feel FAR more comfortable with Trump as POTUS than Cruz or Rubio.

If you're gonna associate with racists, pander for the continued support of racists, refuse to denounce the behavior of racists at events bearing your name....you're right.  He is, in fact,  a despicable, coward. 

You sure do believe everything you read on the Liberal blogs.  It's ok, i used to be the same way with conservative blogs and you can get over it if you work on it hard enough.  It takes time though.  

2016-03-06 9:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

You sure do believe everything you read on the Liberal blogs.  It's ok, i used to be the same way with conservative blogs and you can get over it if you work on it hard enough.  It takes time though.  

wait...so you think the guy who says racist shite all the time isn't racist? I'm confused

2016-03-06 10:11 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro

Originally posted by dmiller5

wait...so you think the guy who says racist shite all the time isn't racist? I'm confused

What, specifically, has he said that you consider racist?  I'm really not sure I have heard him say anything that I could call blatant racism. 

I KNOW that some of his supporters spout racist crap, so there is that.....but what has Trump said that can be attributed to being racist?

I'm not trying to be obtuse here......I don't think the guy has said much, if anything, that can be called racist......but I agree that some of what he spouts plays well to those who hold racist views.  It's almost seems like a game to him.

2016-03-06 10:35 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

What, specifically, has he said that you consider racist?  I'm really not sure I have heard him say anything that I could call blatant racism. 

I KNOW that some of his supporters spout racist crap, so there is that.....but what has Trump said that can be attributed to being racist?

I'm not trying to be obtuse here......I don't think the guy has said much, if anything, that can be called racist......but I agree that some of what he spouts plays well to those who hold racist views.  It's almost seems like a game to him.

the stuff about banning muslims, the stuff about how mexican immigrants are rapists and murderers just off the top of my head

2016-03-06 11:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Reno

just because he invites it, doesn't mean he likes it (jk - I think he is a racist, too).   I am scratching my head ar the original intent of this thread.    the elephant in the room implies something nobody acknowledges, but many people in my world are pointing at it. 

Edited by bootygirl 2016-03-06 11:48 PM

2016-03-07 8:09 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

I got news for you-- you might wanna work on that a little harder. #infowars

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2016-03-07 8:10 AM
2016-03-07 8:23 AM
in reply to: bootygirl

User image

Pro

dmiller - OK, I've heard those things and I think his presentation is horrible.  I usually wonder if his brain is even connected to his mouth when he says things like that.  But, let's not pretend that immigration and radicalized Muslims are not issues for our country, because obviously they are.  I have also heard Trump say good things about Mexicans, Muslims, etc.  I think he speaks like an idiot on the topics, but it obviously plays well.

bootygirl - I think it's rarely talked about in most circles that support Trump.  I also think people are tired of being called racists, and being blamed for whatever problems any group of people have.  It's OK to talk about "white privilege", but it's not ok to talk about black crime, radical muslims, illegal immigrants, and on and on.  Political correctness has been overplayed......and I think this is the backlash....and idiot who can garner a large percentage of voters, many of which actually do have racist tendencies. 

2016-03-07 8:46 AM

New user

Dude- you've never spent any time in the South apparently.....those boys have been flying that flag forever.  LOL  The same way you'll never be anything but a yankee to them.

Yep!  We won that war.  That's why we don't keep nukes south of the Mason-Dixon line.   The South may rise again; clutching their bibles, rebel flags and rope nooses,  but they'll fall again, too. 

(I wasn't born in Idaho.  I'm a Midwesterner at heart.  I'm an SIU Saluki)

So exactly what are you saying about folks like me who carry and read the bible? Seriously.

2016-03-07 8:47 AM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by NXS

Dude- you've never spent any time in the South apparently.....those boys have been flying that flag forever.  LOL  The same way you'll never be anything but a yankee to them.

Yep!  We won that war.  That's why we don't keep nukes south of the Mason-Dixon line.   The South may rise again; clutching their bibles, rebel flags and rope nooses,  but they'll fall again, too. 

So exactly what are you saying about folks like me who carry and read the bible? Seriously.

stop trying to run our country with your book :P

2016-03-07 9:03 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Well, this thread has certainly gotten 'livelier' since I last visited.

2016-03-07 9:45 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

the stuff about banning muslims, the stuff about how mexican immigrants are rapists and murderers just off the top of my head

Islam is a religion, not a race.  Their are white, black, hispanic, arabic, asian muslims.  Trumps comments about banning Muslims were silly and I don't agree with them, but to suggest they're racists is quite a stretch.
The frequently taken out of context comments about many illegal immigrants being rapists and murderers (which is factually accurate) is a lot different then the inaccurate accusation that "all" Mexican immigrants are rapists.

2016-03-07 9:47 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

I got news for you-- you might wanna work on that a little harder. #infowars

Like I said, it's a long process.  lol

2016-03-07 9:51 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by NXS

stop trying to run our country with your book :P

So you support removing all Biblical law from our society?   Then we have to allow Murder.  

On a serious note, I love the study of morality (both spiritual and societal).  It's a fascinating topic that has a lot of interesting points on both sides. 

2016-03-07 9:52 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by mdg2003 Well, this thread has certainly gotten 'livelier' since I last visited.

I blame Obama

2016-03-07 10:06 AM
in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

I think everyone here would rally around the phrase, "I won't stand with racism," but to have folks claim that's what Trump is about is quite misleading.
Again, I'm a tried and true left o' center guy on most things, but to imply or say Trump is a racist, I just believe that's a false claim.
In fact, I'd feel FAR more comfortable with Trump as POTUS than Cruz or Rubio.

As scary as it is, I would still agree with this.

I'm in the minority (ha ha, get it?) in that I don't think Trump is a racist, or at least, I don't think I know what I think he is. As with pretty much everything else in his campaign, he hasn't been 100% clear about anything. He sort of gave that half-a'd rejection of David Duke's endorsement of him, but then went on tv and said that he didn't know who David Duke was, which was clearly a lie. Shortly after the Syrian refugee crisis began, he said you "sort of have to" admit Syrian refugees, then turned around and said he wanted to ban all Muslims from the US when that became the politically expedient opinion for him to take.

The problem for me isn't so much Trump himself, but in what he's inspiring in his followers. It would have been very easy for him to speak out against Duke in much clearer terms, to be much clearer about the distinction between Muslims and radical islamists, or to demand that his supporters be more respectful of protesters (or at least not advocate roughing them up), but he hasn't done any of that. He has continued to allow people to believe that he will "put minorities in their place" and "show them who's in control", to bring it back to LB's original post. That seems like an intentional strategy at this point. So, whether or not Trump himself is a bigot is, to me, somewhat less important than the fact that he's clearly choosing to let the public think he is for the purpose of winning the election.

At the very least, if I was someone who supported him, I'd be becoming increasingly worried that we have no idea what his actual stance is on anything. That's no big deal in the years before the election, but we're less than nine months before we have to vote for a new POTUS, and there isn't anyone who can definitively say what the leading GOP candidate's position is on any major issue.

2016-03-07 11:24 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas

JMK said-
" That's no big deal in the years before the election, but we're less than nine months before we have to vote for a new POTUS, and there isn't anyone who can definitively say what the leading GOP candidate's position is on any major issue."

He clearly wants to build a big wall. Major issues? I don't see a clear plan from him either.

Edited by mdg2003 2016-03-07 11:24 AM
2016-03-07 11:27 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by mdg2003
JMK said- " That's no big deal in the years before the election, but we're less than nine months before we have to vote for a new POTUS, and there isn't anyone who can definitively say what the leading GOP candidate's position is on any major issue."
He clearly wants to build a big wall. Major issues? I don't see a clear plan from him either.

That is a good point.  What is Hillary's plan?

Only thing I've seen is "status quo".  

2016-03-07 12:08 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member

JMK said- " That's no big deal in the years before the election, but we're less than nine months before we have to vote for a new POTUS, and there isn't anyone who can definitively say what the leading GOP candidate's position is on any major issue."

Lots of specifics here:

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/issues/

Hey, you asked!
2016-03-07 12:20 PM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by ejshowers

Lots of specifics here: https://www.hillaryclinton.com/issues/Hey, you asked!

I clicked that link and it installed a virus... just kidding.

Thanks, for posting that.  I did read through a few of the non "filler position" ones and they're still pretty vague.  

Hillary on the ACA:

• Defend the Affordable Care Act and build on it to slow the growth of out-of-pocket costs.

• Crack down on rising prescription drug prices and hold drug companies accountable so they get ahead by investing in research, not jacking up costs.

• Protect women’s access to reproductive health care, including contraception and safe, legal abortion.

In comparison, Trump on ACA (https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positions)

1. Completely repeal Obamacare. Our elected representatives must eliminate the individual mandate. No person should be required to buy insurance unless he or she wants to.
  2. Modify existing law that inhibits the sale of health insurance across state lines. As long as the plan purchased complies with state requirements, any vendor ought to be able to offer insurance in any state. By allowing full competition in this market, insurance costs will go down and consumer satisfaction will go up.
  3. Allow individuals to fully deduct health insurance premium payments from their tax returns under the current tax system. Businesses are allowed to take these deductions so why wouldn’t Congress allow individuals the same exemptions? As we allow the free market to provide insurance coverage opportunities to companies and individuals, we must also make sure that no one slips through the cracks simply because they cannot afford insurance. We must review basic options for Medicaid and work with states to ensure that those who want healthcare coverage can have it.
  4. Allow individuals to use Health Savings Accounts (HSAs). Contributions into HSAs should be tax-free and should be allowed to accumulate. These accounts would become part of the estate of the individual and could be passed on to heirs without fear of any death penalty. These plans should be particularly attractive to young people who are healthy and can afford high-deductible insurance plans. These funds can be used by any member of a family without penalty. The flexibility and security provided by HSAs will be of great benefit to all who participate.
  5. Require price transparency from all healthcare providers, especially doctors and healthcare organizations like clinics and hospitals. Individuals should be able to shop to find the best prices for procedures, exams or any other medical-related procedure.
  6. Block-grant Medicaid to the states. Nearly every state already offers benefits beyond what is required in the current Medicaid structure. The state governments know their people best and can manage the administration of Medicaid far better without federal overhead. States will have the incentives to seek out and eliminate fraud, waste and abuse to preserve our precious resources.
  7. Remove barriers to entry into free markets for drug providers that offer safe, reliable and cheaper products. Congress will need the courage to step away from the special interests and do what is right for America. Though the pharmaceutical industry is in the private sector, drug companies provide a public service. Allowing consumers access to imported, safe and dependable drugs from overseas will bring more options to consumers.

I'm not suggesting Trump's is super specific either, but looking at the few and comparing I'd wager that Trumps are quite a bit more specific than Hillary's.  ;-)

One aspect that I think we could both agree on is allowing insurance companies to sell across state lines.  That's a huge "special interest" honey pot that they use to inhibit competition and keep premiums high for both of us.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » The Elephant in the room... Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Man in ladies room Pages: 1 2

Started by velocomp
Views: 3708 Posts: 28

2013-07-04 10:53 AM DanielG