General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Would you rather? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2016-03-14 7:48 PM
in reply to: marti038

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
Subject: RE: Would you rather? Updated.
Ok, so I called a different bike shop over the weekend and asked if they could just put me on this P2 and give me a yes or no on the fit and that I'd gladly pay them for their time. So, for $50 I took the bike to their fitter today and after straightening my cleats he spent about 30 minutes watching me ride on the trainer, interrupting every couple of minutes to elevate the seat, measure the angles of my knees and hips, and even slid the seat back some.

The verdict is basically that while I'm on the tall end of fits for this bike, it works. He said if I were doing HIMs or longer that I'd probably want to go with something closer to 60cm, but that the 58cm could be made to work. So, while not the "perfect" fit, the bike can be altered to match my frame. After all that, he only charged me $30, so I've got a new friend and a bike shop that I now have some loyalty to.

So the next step is working out a deal with my friend. I thought I'd poll you could people and see what you think it's worth. Here's a link to the bluebook (http://www.bicyclebluebook.com/searchlistingdetail.aspx?id=21491). Based on the website's descriptions, I'd rate the bike as "good" condition.

The bike is basically as it came from the factory aside from several years of use. Even the original tires are on it and they do need replacing. My new friend at the bike shop noticed that the saddle is actually slightly bent on one side, so he recommends a new one. The bike will come with speedplay pedals, the rear double bottle cages, and the one on the frame. The saddle bag has a spare tube, a CO2 cartridge w/ valve, and a small multi-purpose tool in it. I plan to swap the bag out for a bento box sometime in the future.

I've attached a picture. Sorry I'm not on the bike, but that's kind of a hard selfie to take.

(P2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
P2.jpg (125KB - 7 downloads)

2016-03-15 8:39 AM

User image

Exton, PA
With the fitter saying if you were doing HIM or longer you should go to a larger frame, is this really the bike for you? He is telling you it's an OK fit but you could do a lot better. Better fit means more comfortable, more power, more aero, more speed.

When I go out and ride on the weekends, most of my rides are between 50 and 75miles, so there is no way I would be buying that bike.

If you have a size 10 foot you could probably run a 5K in a size 9 1/2 shoe, but why would you want to?
2016-03-15 9:09 AM

User image

, North Carolina
I think I'd agree with some of the others on here. It can work, but as a guy that was on a bike that was too big for a while, I'd say look elsewhere. It can work, and it's not a bad bike, but you'll always have something that's not quite right and always have a nagging feeling (or pain...) and you'll want to upgrade quickly.

My thoughts are look for something more your size. You don't have to buy new from the bike shop... look used. Even bike shops have used bikes, so check them out and ask around.
2016-03-15 10:17 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
Mike/Nate,

I really appreciate your help. I've been looking for a used bike for several months because I frankly just don't have the money to buy a mid-level ($2000-$3000) bike brand new. It's been a very difficult hunt and this is the best used option I've seen (that's reasonably priced anyway).

Really what it comes down to at the moment is, do I want a used P2 or a new entry level roadie with Tiagra components for a few hundred extra bucks?

I haven't started haggling yet, but based on preliminary conversations with the owner and the time with the bike fitter yesterday, this is probably going to be too good of a deal to pass up.

I'll add that I plan to ride it for another week or so before finishing the deal. I'll put in a longer ride this Saturday and see how it feels. I think the fit is fine, but mileage will surely reveal any problems.

Thanks again for your comments.

Edited by marti038 2016-03-15 10:19 AM
2016-03-15 10:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by marti038

Mike/Nate,

I really appreciate your help. I've been looking for a used bike for several months because I frankly just don't have the money to buy a mid-level ($2000-$3000) bike brand new. It's been a very difficult hunt and this is the best used option I've seen (that's reasonably priced anyway).

Really what it comes down to at the moment is, do I want a used P2 or a new entry level roadie with Tiagra components for a few hundred extra bucks?

I haven't started haggling yet, but based on preliminary conversations with the owner and the time with the bike fitter yesterday, this is probably going to be too good of a deal to pass up.

I'll add that I plan to ride it for another week or so before finishing the deal. I'll put in a longer ride this Saturday and see how it feels. I think the fit is fine, but mileage will surely reveal any problems.

Thanks again for your comments.

Do you know where he would like more room ?

That seat can go way back to give you more reach, although there are consequences to that. There is a second hole behind the current on where you could move your seat to.

Vulka clips on with some risers could give you stack. As a matter of fact I would put those just to eliminate a few spacers.

I don't believe in buying a bike too small but there are still some options on that bike.
2016-03-15 11:09 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
Originally posted by marcag

That seat can go way back to give you more reach, although there are consequences to that. There is a second hole behind the current on where you could move your seat to.

Vulka clips on with some risers could give you stack. As a matter of fact I would put those just to eliminate a few spacers.

I don't believe in buying a bike too small but there are still some options on that bike.

In the bars. He thinks they could come up a bit. Reach is good according to him, and I thought it felt much better in the brief time I was riding it during the fit.

He suggested that new clip-ons would be an option to look at for a future upgrade. There were some others he looked at, but I don't know enough bike jargon to recall it now.

2016-03-15 11:11 AM

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
The owner and I just talked and he's asking $800 for the bike as pictured above. Not sure I can walk away from that, but I have plenty of time to think it over.

Thank you all again for your help.
2016-03-15 11:54 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran

In the bars. He thinks they could come up a bit. Reach is good according to him, and I thought it felt much better in the brief time I was riding it during the fit.

He suggested that new clip-ons would be an option to look at for a future upgrade. There were some others he looked at, but I don't know enough bike jargon to recall it now.

You replace the clipsons with this. The one bottom right. It will rise you substantially so you can get rid of some of those spacers, get the right fit and be more aero

Just make sure they fit on your basebar and your current extensions fit in it as well

Edited by marcag 2016-03-15 12:04 PM
2016-03-15 12:57 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Birmingham, Alabama

You replace the clipsons with this. The one bottom right. It will rise you substantially so you can get rid of some of those spacers, get the right fit and be more aero

Just make sure they fit on your basebar and your current extensions fit in it as well

Thanks. This looks a lot less expensive than some of the options Joe (the fit guy) mentioned. I'll definitely look into it.
2016-03-15 1:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks. This looks a lot less expensive than some of the options Joe (the fit guy) mentioned. I'll definitely look into it.

Probably around $150. Will make the whole setup much more aero. That head tube is too long This will eliminate spacers, look WAY cooler and be much more aero. A bento box will help aero as well.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Would you rather? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

anyne else rather go long than short!?

Started by gymgirlx
Views: 1367 Posts: 22

2009-08-17 11:51 AM MadMathemagician

Mike R and other coaches- convince why I need a coach rather than a plan

Started by xterratri
Views: 2192 Posts: 23

2006-12-21 1:57 PM gsmacleod

Here's a rather Unique event to "tri"

Started by lincsguyus
Views: 1297 Posts: 10

2006-04-29 5:15 PM So Fresh So Clean

I rather scream but just sigh when.........

Started by cobannero
Views: 844 Posts: 4

2006-04-10 11:08 AM garyzakutney

Things you'd rather do than run with a jogger Pages: 1 2

Started by Colomingle
Views: 2898 Posts: 33

2005-10-05 9:44 AM mnflyfish