General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Duathlon clothing question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-03-05 1:30 PM

Subject: Duathlon clothing question
I will be doing my first duathlon soon. I know the optimal kind of shorts are triathlon ones, but I don't want to invest in those until I know I'm going to do it more than once! So I'm wondering what kind of shorts to wear. The biking part is only 15 km. I could

(a) do the whole thing in biking shorts,
(b) do the whole thing in running shorts, or
(c) slip bike shorts over my running shorts during the changeover.

From what I've seen in discussions online, people usually pick (a) or (b), but it seems to me that it takes very little time to slip on bike shorts, so why not do (c)?

I suppose the time would be significant if I were super-competitive and wanted absolute maximum chances of a medal in my age group, but for a typical participant (c) seems good. Am I missing something?

2016-03-05 3:15 PM
in reply to: AngularMo

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Duathlon clothing question
I would use tri shorts… the padding in the cycling shorts tend to be a bit much for running. But, with that said, a whole lot better than trying to ride in running shorts… a fast way to learn how bad chafing can impact your life! :-)
2016-03-05 5:49 PM
in reply to: audiojan

Thanks, but as I said, I don't want to invest in tri shorts until I know I'm going to do it more than once!

So I only have the 3 choices (a)-(c) that I listed.
2016-03-05 6:56 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Go old school, channel your inner Kenny Souza, and wear a neon green Speedo. Rock the bike leg at 28 mph.

2016-03-06 1:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
With bike shorts I'd be worried about the chafing, heck I tried running in a pair just to see if I could avoif the tri shorts investment, and it went pretty badly.

With slipping bike shorts on top of the running shorts, I'd make sure the run shorts are tight, though bike shorts are designed to be worn directly against your skin, chafing *might* be an issue depending on the actual shorts. Try it in training to see how it feels.

If you CAN bike with just run shorts on without it hurting, that's the route I'd go. Tri shorts have minimal padding anyways, so it's not a huge leap to none, but get used to it in training.
2016-03-06 8:06 AM

User image

Temperance, Michigan
I like option C, would add minimal time and protect from the dreaded Chafing!!! Back up plan would be doing the entire thing in running shorts but beware CHAFING can be TERRIBLE (I would use a ton of Body Glide if you decide to go this way)!!!!!!!! Doing entire thing in bike shorts in my opinion is not an option. Good luck at the race.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Duathlon clothing question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Triathlon clothes/equip questions...

Started by TriathleteNut
Views: 640 Posts: 6

2006-01-05 12:08 PM marmadaddy

Womens Clothing Questions

Started by treiks813
Views: 907 Posts: 8

2005-05-25 9:55 PM tripol

women's (XL) tri clothing question

Started by madeye
Views: 965 Posts: 6

2005-05-01 7:34 PM madeye

1/2 Ironman Clothing question Pages: 1 2

Started by derekh25
Views: 5628 Posts: 28

2005-04-20 9:54 AM tbilll

Clothing question?

Started by Blacktoe
Views: 997 Posts: 4

2004-12-17 10:40 AM triman50
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 4, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Coach AJ discusses the essential clothing used to keep your legs and feet warm while cycling or running in the cold weather.

date : November 11, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
Does compression clothing really work? Coach AJ was able to try out a line of compression wear by Skins during the 2008 Annual Hawaii Ironman Triathlon.
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : September 8, 2008
author : ValleyCoach.com
Because of potential heat injury and sun damage, there are certain precautions that should be taken. Here are some tips to avoid heat injury.
date : January 30, 2005
author : Glenn
Many of us do not enjoy the ‘pleasures’ of training on a stationery trainer. “Boring”, ”mind-numbing”, “a drag” are three phrases often associated with indoor trainers.

date : November 14, 2004
author : Andrea
I'm on the other side of the college-student desk. I'm the one with the red pen in my hand. Those of us with schedules that change from day to day actually have an advantage, I think.