General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Energy level struggle Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-03-10 10:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Energy level struggle
You probably know that Ryan Hall retired. I read an interview with him about a year ago. At that time, he had hopes for his running career. He admitted that he was struggling with energy levels.
He said that he is training everything is ok and then comes a day during which he cannot finish an hours run.
I have similar problems with my energy levels. I do not train really right now, but I’m staying active.
One day I can run 4 miles with easy. A few days after it is hard to a flight of stairs.

Do you struggle with energy levels? How do you cope with it?

2016-03-10 10:36 AM
in reply to: slonce5

User image

Subject: RE: Energy level struggle
Not to the point of a struggle with stairs but yes from time to time. For me it's usually sleep related. If I get less then 6 hrs sleep I can be dead tired when I get up. Which leads to lack of motivation and poor morning workout if one at all. Then I'm draging most of the day and same result at night. Sleep is what usually helps me the most. Plus the occasional extra rest day. As I get older I realize I need it a bit more. OTOH some days it's just forcing myself to do whatever workout. I usually feel better afterward.
2016-03-10 10:57 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

I've found out through a couple of training cycles that my B12 levels really drop during heavy training so i need to be mindful. I have found out more after the fact and it causes that 'aha' kind of thought.  I definitely noticed not having the wherewithal to get the workouts done or much else but life is busy so i usually don't attribute being exhausted to a health issue - especially when training for a big race but bloodwork has proved it drops and it does impact energy.  The first was in the midst of ironman training and i was directed to supplement and then last year the same when i was training for a HIM. 

2016-03-10 1:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Katy, Texas
That's definitely a struggle. For me personally, it has to do with maintaining enough energy for my kids/family. I can muscle through any workout, but I don't ever want to be wiped and have that effect my family time. That's where I will back off. After all, as much as we convince ourselves that we do this for a worthy cause (awareness, charity, inspiration, etc) it really is a selfish sport due to the time commitments. For that reason, I have some benchmarks I try to maintain. One is that I train in the early mornings and at lunch, so that I'm home from 5ish until the kids go to bed at 8 and it is their time. Second comes to the energy level question. It's also not fair to them if I'm grumpy or disconnected due to training. My litmus test is that we have a tradition at our house that every night after dinner we put on music and have a dance party. If my dance game isn't on point (and with all the coordination of an endurance athlete, you can only imagine*) or if I'm just not into it, then I know I need to back off and take a rest day. Doesn't happen too often, but when it does, it is apparent.

*Just in case it doesn't land, that was sarcasm...I have no coordination, I'm in the "dance like nobody is watching" school...because, nobody is watching, eyes are averted. Thought I'd put that in there since folks can get their feathers ruffled for all kinds of nonsense.

Edited by 3mar 2016-03-10 1:52 PM
2016-03-10 2:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by 3mar  If my dance game isn't on point 

Edited

Video and we'll be the judge of that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Goggles Pizzano 2016-03-10 2:04 PM
2016-03-10 2:38 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Edited

Video and we'll be the judge of that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would that be like a "critique my form" type video?

2016-03-10 2:50 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Originally posted by 3mar

Edited

Would that be like a "critique my form" type video?
Absolutely. And your seats probably too high
2016-03-10 3:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Its a virtual guarantee that his arms are too far away from his body.
2016-03-10 3:14 PM
in reply to: CycloneVM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by CycloneVM

Its a virtual guarantee that his arms are too far away from his body.

Um.....yeah....how else do you dance?
2016-03-10 5:43 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Periodically, yes. I have a job that keeps me on my feet and where I have to really be "up" for much of the day (elementary teacher--you can't just slump behind a desk and peck at the computer!), so having enough energy for that plus training is a balance I have to keep. One factor that's hard to control would be hormones/cycle. Once you have an idea what weeks you'll be feeling more/less energetic, you can kind of work in more challenging workouts around that, or put recovery type weeks in. (If this is an issue.) The other would be nutrition. Both overall, in terms of getting the right balance that works for your body, enough calories, protein, iron, and healthy fats, and short-term, in terms of what you ate during the several hours before your workout. For longer workouts, what you ate/drank during and immediately after also impacts energy levels and recovery. It might help to do some kind of diary when you write down a few words (even a number) about how the workout went, and any factors you think might have affected your energy level. (Could just do it in your BT log.) You might find some useful patterns. Other factors (sleep, stress, allergies, etc.) might also be coming into play.

For a couple of years I really struggled with erratic energy levels for swimming, which is the only workout I usually do after work (as opposed to early AM). It seems to be a combo of ventilation levels in the pool (which I can't totally control; can ask them to turn on more fans though) which affects my breathing, and whether or not I have a light snack and coffee about an hour before swimming. The latter makes a BIG difference.
2016-03-10 8:20 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

Edited

You asked....

https://instagram.com/p/BCyyjypzVmN/

2016-03-10 8:36 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Originally posted by 3mar

Edited

You asked....https://instagram.com/p/BCyyjypzVmN/
Little man (?) has moves. Future doctor to boot I give it a 10
2016-03-11 1:35 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Veteran
I just purchased an organic energizer that looks healthy. I hope that this would work.

http://www.gardenoflife.com/Products-for-Life/Foundational-Nutritio...
2016-03-11 5:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

dont waste your time

2016-03-11 5:16 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not sure any of these are proven to do much. I would look into your iron levels, but if the swings are day to day (or shorter) ones rather than a gradual trend over time (or at certain times of the month) of feeling less energetic, my guess it's it has much more to do with blood sugar levels (i.e. what/when you're eating) and/or sleep.
2016-03-12 5:20 PM
in reply to: #5171410

User image

Extreme Veteran
I feel a lot better when I supplement Magnesium, Iron, B12 and D. You can test all of them but magnesium- which is the one that made the biggest difference for me. It makes me sleep a ton better.

2016-03-13 3:01 PM

User image

The big ones are sleep and nutrition. I'd monitor those carefully (journal) for a week or so, and see if there's a correlation with your energy levels. Note that there can be delays you wouldn't expect to it - lets say you sleep 4 hours one night and 6 hours the next. Your training might go well after sleeping 4 hours (because you've only had one night of bad sleep), but the next day it can be horrible, because now you have had inadequate sleep 2 nights in a row - even though intuitively it would seem that your training should be better on 6 hours than 4 hours of sleep.

Also, for nutrition, be extra careful that you refuel properly within an hour after your hard workouts. That makes a huge difference.

2016-03-14 9:36 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Veteran
You dont believe in energy drinks? The one i got has a lot of vitamins and minerals. In addition it has a lot of enzymes, probiotics and contains many energized plants.
2016-03-14 9:38 PM
in reply to: MikaelEriksson

User image

Veteran
What should I eat after a workout? I work out at night during weeknights, so Im home at 930, 10: 00.
2016-03-14 9:40 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Veteran
I tried one energy drink it is called Vintage Blast. It gave me a lot of power , but I felt really hot and was sweating a lot. For this reason I did not take it again.
2016-03-14 9:41 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Veteran
I read that some people take 5,000 IU of vitamin D3. It is a big dosage, but it is hard to overdose vit D.

2016-03-14 9:46 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Veteran
I do have naturally low blood pressure, so Im not a dynamite. In general Im not very energetic, but the energy level varies from day to day.

Today I ran 3 mile fast and I lifted for an hour. It was rather easy,. Tomorrow I may not be able to run 3 miles without taking walking breaks.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Energy level struggle Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

How to keep energy levels up?

Started by Thomasski
Views: 1348 Posts: 15

2010-04-22 4:23 PM runninmomma10

Change in energy levels....

Started by BoobieDr
Views: 639 Posts: 3

2010-03-07 9:08 AM nuttysami123

Energy levels are down - help

Started by amills1210
Views: 1589 Posts: 10

2009-05-07 9:02 AM Daremo

Energy Levels during IM training

Started by cctri
Views: 1347 Posts: 9

2009-03-30 2:28 PM KathyG

Energy level

Started by TriBarbie
Views: 1173 Posts: 11

2004-03-25 10:50 PM TriBarbie
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 24, 2015
author : BradSeng
comments : 0
While running, I've been really struggling to keep my heart rate down in the zone 2-3 range as frequently prescribed in the plan. This seems too slow?

date : June 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
Sport drinks replenish what is lost during exercise, such as electrolytes, water, sugar, while energy drinks are designed to provide a boost in energy.
date : November 4, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 4
What you eat prior to your workout will determine your energy levels during a workout. What you eat after a workout will determine how quickly you recover.

date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.
date : January 29, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
You can spend a small fortune on these pre-wrapped bundles of energy, thinking they offer magic ingredients-not true. “Energy” simply means “provides calories” and not “will make you feel energetic."

date : January 1, 2006
author : c.krishnan
We must all be aware that success attained in one single effort will have only a short span of life. Because success achieved without any strain or struggle cannot last long.
date : January 30, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Energy bars and fluid replacement drinks have their place – and will surely be the subject of future reviews – but there is nothing quite like the immediate lift an energy gel can provide.