United States
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 31m 35s
Overall Rank = 90/96
Age Group = f45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/4
Pre-race routine:

Got up before 0500 so I could get to the race site and get in as many miles as possible before the race starts. I grabbed a piece of home made banana nut bread and a cup of coffee and headed out the door. It was about a 45 minute drive to the trail head so that gave me plenty of time to eat and get things... settled.
Event warmup:

When I got to the trailhead/race start I put on my hydration pack and hit the port-a-loo then headed out to do the 5k trail. It was very well marked and I loved the course. A bit of gravel at the start then sand and packed dirt.

Once I finished the 5k it was time for packet pickup so I headed in, got my packet, put it in my car, hit the loo again and headed out for the 10k trail. That. Was. Brutal!!! Uphill, in the sand, in to the wind (both ways :) )

As I got back to the point where the 10k joins the 5k I made sure I had time to finish before the actual race start. I did so I finished the 5k part again then headed back. Once I got back to my car I changed in to my RWB singlet, put my hydration pack back on and donned my bib and timing chip (the loop on the shoe kind) as I walked the little bit to the start line.

At the start line I met up with some RWB teammates (P, K & J) and chatted with them for the few minutes before the start. P asked if anyone had done the race last year and knew the course. I told her I'd just done it and that it was well marked. She looked at me like I'm nutz. P is an ultra runner though so she gets me.

Run
  • 00m
  • 10 kms
  •  min/km
Comments:

As we got started we were on a slight uphill crushed gravel surface and P stated she thought the hill was at the end. I told her that the uphill was the first 2.5 miles and that some of it was steep and in deep sand. Once again I headed up that steep, nasty, sandy hill. Once I got to the top of the super steep part (but still headed up) I whoad up and waited for the other Eagles. P is a riot and was loudly, jokingly, complaining the whole way up. J, her husband, asked if she had some cheese to go with the whine.

Once we got to the top we got to ski down (that's what it felt like) the sand. By about 3 miles in I had so much sand in my shoes I had to stop and pour it out or risk serious blisters. Once I was down on to the 5k part again it started to get really windy. Wind + sand = no bueno. As I headed back to the finish I started to contemplate whether I would be able to make that ascent once more, let alone twice, to round out my 26 mile training run.
What would you do differently?:

Nohing, this was a training run. It was fun to not run a lonely 26 and to meet up with some Eagles
Post race
Warm down:

I had a red-chili pancake and chatted with P and K a bit more. They were going to be doing the Shamrock Shuffle 10k near my house on Sunday and asked if I'd be there. I told them I might (I didn't).

My legs were beat so I was texting options with DS2 on how I could finish 26. He recommended the flat trail. K even reminded me that I'd done that crazy course twice!

Then I headed to the Bosque for a flat, fairly wind protected 11 miles to round out my 26.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

SAND SAND SAND
And this was part of a 26 mile training run so I was conservative.

Event comments:

This is still a small race (second year) but the RD does a great job with water stations and finish line grub.

It is a tough course. I read a RR from a local runner who said that race was way worse than the sugar sand from his home state of Florida (Hands I thought of you while running in it). Add to that the fact that the sand is on a steep uphill it makes for a challenging first few miles! I've seen a couple comments that it should be called King of the Sand.

Yes, in the photo I look like an 80 year old bald man. It was a rough morning. P is the smiley one in the middle and K on the right.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2016-03-14 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 10 kms |  min/km
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 0/96
Performance: Average
Course: The 10K course is extremely challenging. It shares the first mile with the 5K and then diverts up a steep hill to the "Overlook Trail." After ascending the steep hill, runners are rewarded with breathtaking views of five different mountain ranges and the Rio Grande Valley. After making the final ascent to the west face of El Cerro de Los Lunas, runners will descend to rejoin the 5K course for the final two miles. This trail is a mix of crusher fine, compacted dirt, and very sandy hills. There is approximately 730 feet of elevation gain on this course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-03-14 2:28 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: King of the Hill 5k/10k Trail Run

2016-03-16 9:34 AM
in reply to: #5171974

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: King of the Hill 5k/10k Trail Run

Wow, what a day with your training miles and the race!  That hill sounds like a real beach (yeah, I tried that.  Lame pun.) and you did it twice!!  I'm still stunned at all the mileage you put in pre and post.  Very commendable!  Smart idea to mix race and solo time so you aren't alone the whole time.  Nice work!

2016-03-16 10:05 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

What a hard core way to get your 26 miles in! You are going to be so ready for your "real" race!!  As I was reading about the sand I thought about my sugar sand races and how miserable they are and you ran through even worse stuff, that  is amazing.  Great job!!

2016-03-16 10:51 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, Colorado
FANTASTIC job! I am so happy and proud of you
2016-03-16 2:02 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Awesome way to get the training in and keep it fun!

2016-03-23 4:20 PM
in reply to: #5171974

User image

Katy, Texas
Lots of awesomeness going on here!

2016-03-23 5:13 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Wowser!  Great day - sooper impressive!!

Matt

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » King of the Hill 5k/10k Trail Run Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Orangeman Running Series - San Juan Hills Trail Run 10K

Started by Lar Dog
Views: 632 Posts: 1

2013-03-17 1:32 PM Lar Dog

Orangeman Running Series - San Juan Hills Trail Run 5K

Started by gmorning
Views: 1082 Posts: 1

2013-02-04 10:56 PM gmorning

Orangeman Running Series - San Juan Hills Trail Run 10K

Started by jpf5911
Views: 1102 Posts: 1

2012-02-21 10:03 PM jpf5911

Eola Hills Wine Cellars “No Hills” 10K Run and 5K Run

Started by blg_blg
Views: 1066 Posts: 1

2011-11-24 3:43 PM blg_blg

Greenbelt's Run for the Hills 5K/10K Trail Race

Started by Beej
Views: 857 Posts: 1

2011-07-17 8:06 AM Beej
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 2
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.