General Discussion Race Reports! » 2016 Pineapple Hill Sprint Road Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

2016 Pineapple Hill Sprint Road Race - Cycle

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Haleiwa, Hawaii
United States
Tradewinds Cycling Team
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 35m 16s
Overall Rank = 1/50
Age Group = Master 35-49
Age Group Rank = 1/20
Pre-race routine:

Backed off some of the volume and intensity leading into the week. Wanted a better showing than the TT a couple weeks ago where everything seemed to go wrong. Did an opener ride on Saturday and legs were feeling pretty good. I was also down to about 154 pounds, which is about 8 pounds lighter than I was last year when I won in a sprint finish.

This year I was certain the climbers would attack hard from the start to shred the field. If they didn't, it would again be a bunch finish and all the guys sitting in (like me) would have the best chance to win. I was pretty proud to have the opportunity to pin on the #1 onto my skinsuit knowing it may be the only time I ever get to do it again.
Event warmup:

Because this is such a short race, and I expected fireworks to go off right as the climb starts, I asked Shane for a warm up to prepare me. We settled on a long 50 minute warmup that would include lots of easy spinning to start, then progressing to 90", 30", and 10-15" bursts with ample recovery in between. I think I was the only one to warm up this well as I got into a very good sweat. Most others were just riding around on a back road or doing a short easy spin on their trainer.
Bike
  • 35m 16s
  • 11.1 miles
  • 18.88 mile/hr
Comments:

We rolled out neutral and right off the gun Joachim attacks from the flats. Nobody responds and he gets a decent 200 meter lead right away. As the climb starts, I'm getting ready for hell, but it doesn't happen as we have already reeling in Joachim. Matt attacks, but doesn't put it all in and Tradewinds covers. Rick counters and again Tradewinds covers. On the second pitch, Carl attacks and Outtabounds covers. This basically went on the entire climb where I didn't really have to put down more than a 400 watt effort for more than a minute. The rest of it was basically riding tempo or threshold.

Once we got to the last pitch of the climb, I knew it was going to be a sprint finish again. I still had not seen the wind at all, but neither did Salvatore, who I knew would be a main contender. We were in a group of 11, with also Will and Bill who I knew could pack a sprint if they were fresh. I told myself "patience, patience, patience," knowing that I just needed to avoid doing anything stupid the next 4 miles, but also put myself in good position going into the last 2 miles.

I had been staying in the top 6 positions the entire race, but knew I needed to for sure be in the top 5 as we made the right hander with 1.3 miles to go. I made the turn in 4th, and soon found myself 3rd wheel as we rolled single file. Jeff was burying himself to lead Will out who was second wheel...but I knew it was too far for him to tow us all...so something was going to give.

Jeff pulled off with about 700 meters to go and I knew Will was going to ease up so I came off his wheel and slightly along side him as not to get boxed in as we went from single file to more of a mob. The center line rule was in effect all the way to the finish, and we only had one 9 foot lane to operate in, so at most you can go is 3 wide. I saw Bill come up on my left and figured he was going to try and lead out the Outtabounds train, as they had 5 of the 11 guys left.

I didn't want to go from this far out, but I also couldn't afford getting boxed in either, so I jumped with about 300 meters left as we started the 2.5% grade up to the finish. Peaked out at 1165 watts early and got a gap. Will or Bill who were next to me couldn't respond, and Sal had gotten boxed in because of it. I must have created at least 10 meters within the first 8 seconds of my sprint, but I still had a long way to go. Sal had finally gotten through and Mike and Joe were trying to get on his wheel as they chased me down. Thankfully though Sal could never get in my draft, and I don't think Mike or Joe were close enough to Sal to slingshot off of him...because those last 10 seconds I was absolutely dying. Power was dropping to the 600-700 range and I felt super sloppy over my bike. I wanted to downshift so badly but I couldn't risk it. I must have looked back about three times, with the last time about 5 meters from the line and by then I knew I had it...by about 2-3 bike lengths.

Got a lot of congratulations from the other riders. I was pretty stoked to be able to pull off the back to back overall win.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Starting the sprint early was a big risk, but it worked out for the better as Sal, Mike, or Joe were not in position to get on my wheel. I wasn't the strongest rider there, but I played my cards right and I was lucky it worked out again.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

The answer is almost always "fatness." But I have to give myself a little credit this year as I have lost "some" weight. But still got a few more pounds to go before this isn't a limiter.

Event comments:

Great early season race.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2016-03-16 12:00 AM
Biking
00:35:16 | 11.1 miles | 18.88 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/20
Overall: 0/50
Performance: Good
HR - 162/194, Power - 230/294 for the whole race, 268/316 for the 26:09 where the race was "on."
Wind: Strong
Course: Start from Haleiwa Marketplace, rolling out neutral to the highway, then just one time up Pineapple Hill to the original road race finish.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 89
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2016-03-16 2:11 PM

User image

Subject: 2016 Pineapple Hill Sprint Road Race

2016-03-16 2:44 PM
in reply to: #5172354

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: 2016 Pineapple Hill Sprint Road Race
Sweet race Jason. I've been on a racing team this past year and it's easier to read your reports now because I "get" most of it. That's pretty awesome you were able to hang on at the end. Great example of beast mode!
2016-03-17 6:11 AM
in reply to: #5172354

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Awesome!

It's fortunate (at least for me!) that bike races aren't always dependent on who the strongest guy is, often just the smartest (or the ballsiest) which it looks like was you on the day! Not to take away from the effort, which sounded brutal!

great stuff, keep it up!
2016-03-17 11:48 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

I was certainly not the strongest in the field...not even close. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2016 Pineapple Hill Sprint Road Race Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

2015 Pineapple Hill Sprint Road Race

Started by Jason N
Views: 1668 Posts: 6

2015-03-19 9:58 AM msteiner

Pineapple Hill Road Race

Started by Jason N
Views: 1499 Posts: 5

2014-07-16 9:42 AM mcmanusclan5

2014 Pineapple Hill Sprint Road Race

Started by Jason N
Views: 1578 Posts: 3

2014-03-15 5:37 AM TankBoy

Pineapple Hill Road Race

Started by tri808
Views: 1533 Posts: 2

2012-08-15 5:03 AM powerman

Pineapple Hill Road Race

Started by tri808
Views: 1162 Posts: 1

2011-07-25 2:54 PM tri808
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 31, 2012
author : TINKARRA
comments : 0
Most of the races are flat here, but I live in the area where I could do hilly rides with 1500-2000m of climbing. Is there much benefit with that if I am racing flat?

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : December 27, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : July 29, 2008
author : Coach AJ
I'm not quite half way into my IM training. I just raced a sprint and on Monday I woke up and felt like I'd been drugged! Not sore, just incredibly fatigued.
date : December 20, 2007
I struggled on the bike while climbing the hill portions of the course. I do fine on long straight rides but really have a tough time while hill climbing. Any advice or training tips?

date : February 13, 2007
author : trixie
Can't run outside in the snow? Think again. I flew up the first hill with surprising ease and power. The Yaktrax gripped into the ice like racing spikes on a rubber track. Sweeeeet.
date : September 5, 2006
author : mikericci
If you haven’t done any bricks yet, this isn’t the time to start piling them on, but here are some examples you could do in the lead up to your race.

date : March 5, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
When we get ready to train or race, we have a pretty fixed set of thoughts. We are unaware of how they affect our racing.