General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aerobars and road bikes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-03-17 8:52 AM

Subject: Aerobars and road bikes
I'm new to triathlon. I ran my first tri last year, Cedar Point Challenge 70.3. I had a great time, and I am looking to do more this year. I'm planning on doing a couple of sprints and an Olympic, at least, this season and IM Chattanooga in 2017.

I have a roadbike that I enjoy riding. I don't have any near future plans to purchase a tri bike.

Is there a benefit to mounting aero bars on a road bike?

Thanks.

Dave

2016-03-17 11:59 AM
in reply to: Georgerd

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Aerobars and road bikes

Aerodynamically, yes, there is huge benefit to be had. However I'll caution you about altering your saddle position on the road bike radically to try to optimize the position to that of a tri bike -- the handling can go south quickly.

2016-03-17 12:39 PM
in reply to: briderdt

Thanks!
2016-03-17 12:44 PM
in reply to: Georgerd

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by Georgerd

I'm new to triathlon. I ran my first tri last year, Cedar Point Challenge 70.3. I had a great time, and I am looking to do more this year. I'm planning on doing a couple of sprints and an Olympic, at least, this season and IM Chattanooga in 2017.

I have a roadbike that I enjoy riding. I don't have any near future plans to purchase a tri bike.

Thanks.

Dave

Yes there is a benefit. An even bigger benefit if you get fit along with it. It's a compromise when doing this on a road bike.

I did this a few years back but I not only got aerobars I got a new seatpost (Fast Forward) and a new stem. This is because I got a Retul fit and didn't have the $$ for the Tri bike. I did well on the roadie, over 21 mph average on 70.3 bike split and over 23 mph in olympic races.

For group rides I would simply remove the aerobars but leave on the seatpost. It wasn't the optimum road position but my focus was triathlons.

So if your focus will be triathlons you might consider doing the same. But if you simply slap on the bars without a good fit I couldn't tell you what kind of gains you would see. I saw big gains with my setup but that' because I was dialed in really close to my Retul fit dimensions.
2016-03-17 4:19 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Originally posted by reecealan

Originally posted by Georgerd

Thanks.

Dave

Yes there is a benefit. An even bigger benefit if you get fit along with it. It's a compromise when doing this on a road bike.

I did this a few years back but I not only got aerobars I got a new seatpost (Fast Forward) and a new stem. This is because I got a Retul fit and didn't have the $$ for the Tri bike. I did well on the roadie, over 21 mph average on 70.3 bike split and over 23 mph in olympic races.

For group rides I would simply remove the aerobars but leave on the seatpost. It wasn't the optimum road position but my focus was triathlons.

So if your focus will be triathlons you might consider doing the same. But if you simply slap on the bars without a good fit I couldn't tell you what kind of gains you would see. I saw big gains with my setup but that' because I was dialed in really close to my Retul fit dimensions.

Just curious why you need to remove them for group rides. I understand the reasoning for not using them in group rides...

2016-03-18 12:06 PM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by triosaurus

Just curious why you need to remove them for group rides. I understand the reasoning for not using them in group rides...

This. It isn't the fact that they are present that's a n issue, it's whether they're used.

That said many roadies will frown upon you if you have them, either assuming you'll use them, or as a triathlete that you can't handle the bike well enough to ride in a peleton or paceline.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aerobars and road bikes Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Right aerobars for road bike

Started by serega72
Views: 2714 Posts: 9

2010-02-12 3:54 PM bostonredsox

Aerobars for Road Bike - Is this the right kind?

Started by atlrunnergirl
Views: 924 Posts: 8

2008-03-07 8:27 AM tri-chic

Aerobars on Road Bike

Started by stumfossil
Views: 772 Posts: 8

2006-05-25 1:25 PM stumfossil

Aerobars for road bike

Started by sauna66
Views: 719 Posts: 5

2006-03-17 10:05 AM Stone

Best Aerobars for a Road Bike Geometry

Started by JGFTri
Views: 1872 Posts: 12

2004-11-26 1:46 PM yentroc2501
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 26, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are a person who feels safer on the trails rather than the road, but you still want to race, this article will help you better train.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : March 24, 2011
What should I consider when adding aero bars? What are good brands? Are there pitfalls to be aware of? How can I adjust them to fit me?

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : October 8, 2008
comments : 2
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?

date : December 5, 2007
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
What makes a triathlon bike a triathlon bike? Learn about angles, seating, position, aerobars, and the importance of a proper bike fit.
date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
comments : 0
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.

date : January 29, 2007
author : sportfactory
When first going aero, your shop should begin by putting you in the least aggressive position. This means the aerobar pads will be almost level or just below the saddle.