General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Power meter or smart trainer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-03-22 2:08 PM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Subject: Power meter or smart trainer
First I was all PM, then all smart trainer, but now I don't know, humor me here.

I've been into triathlon for about 5 years although last year was total year off due to kid #2 and work and house #2 so this winter I got back into cycling and love it and the indoor rides fit my schedule very well so I'm kind of sticking more to the bike for now. I'm doing 3-5 rides a week mainly on Zwift or just watching TV and doing intervals of certain levels at cadence/pace via my watch. I'm not aiming for any races in particular, just looking to get faster and enjoy riding. I like to see gains, it keeps me motivated and makes it enjoyable to me, so while there's no FTP of 3.0 W/kg goal or anything like that I'd just like to keep progressing. I'm not currently on a training plan besides riding when I can which right now is keeping my FTP on the rise which is great.

Once the weather permits I'll probably do 1-2 outdoor rides per week on the weekends when I have time and daylight and the other 2-3 rides will be indoors on the trainer. So, assuming both cost roughly the same (~$700) which one would you go with, a smart trainer or a power meter?

My reasoning for the smart trainer is to keep Zwifting/TR and get good power readings off that and to step up the intensity of those Zwift climbs and just get a more realistic experience. For the time being the indoor rides just work well for getting the kids to bed, working all hours, etc and obviously work well Nov-April.

The flip side being a straight up power meter for the bike. Could still use my non-smart trainer and get good power numbers and work with everything the same way and take it to the road. Like I said, I don't have any specific races I'm looking at so the rides off the trainer would be mostly group rides with people from work and trying to hammer local Strava segments like any self respecting person would do.

Right now kind of leaning Smart Trainer because of the more use I'd get out of it year round but with the warm weather coming a PM would force me to ride outside which is undoubtedly just a better all around experience. I guess I could throw in option 3 of working a couple extra hours, getting a PM now and a smart trainer once the weather turns south in the fall but not sure I want to drop that coin right now. Thanks for the input!

2016-03-22 5:16 PM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: Power meter or smart trainer

I'd say PM for sure.  Having the ability to use power both indoors and out is very valuable IMO and you can still use it with Zwift - you just lose the automatic resistance control.

2016-03-22 8:07 PM
in reply to: 0

I would get both.

Last fall I bought a Tacx Vortex from Germany. Prices are much better than here in the states. Shipping is $20, full smart trainer for under $350!

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/tacx-t2180-vortex-virtual-smart-...

Need a new C7 non-polarized power cable, minimum 2A. I didn't know what the amperage needed when I bought the unit, so I bought this 10A version before it arrived. It is also nice to have the 15ft length.

http://www.amazon.com/SF-Cable-15ft-1-15P-SPT-2/dp/B009KTDOSC?ie=UT...

Used Powertaps ant+ hubs can be bought for under $300 in a wheel. Recently bought a mavic open pro with powertap SL+ for my road bike for $250 to my door. Even G3 hubs in wheels can be bought for under $400 if your patient. Ask lots of questions and get good pictures.

So get both for your $700, if you can get both get a PM!

Edited by shoff14 2016-03-22 8:23 PM
2016-03-22 9:19 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Originally posted by axteraa

I'd say PM for sure.  Having the ability to use power both indoors and out is very valuable IMO and you can still use it with Zwift - you just lose the automatic resistance control.

x2
2016-03-23 2:22 PM

User image

Master
I love my Vortex Smart trainer even more than my computrainer. I also have a powermeter but I personally would get the smart trainer for Zwift first. I could live without my powermeter.
2016-03-23 8:40 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by axteraa

Yeah, the PM can work on the trainer a fair bit better than the smart trainer can work anyplace except that. I've been on a computrainer a few times. It's nice, but not giving up the use of power outdoors for the smart factor. 

2016-03-23 8:59 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Thanks for the responses all. I'm thinking I'll go with the PM soon, maybe a father's day present, and then a smart trainer once the weather turns in the fall. I see the upside of both and think I'd get a fair use of both.
2016-03-23 11:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
PM for sure; you can use it indoors and out!

When your ready for a trainer though contact me and I'll see if I can get you a deal! Sometimes can on the Kickr.
2016-03-25 8:43 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
We have both CompuTrainers and PM's (on most of our bikes) and as much as I love the CompuTrainer if I was forced to choose only one, it would be a PM. I can use a high quality fluid trainer and do power based intervals indoors, plus once you get outdoors, the PM is an invaluable training tool (if used correctly).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Power meter or smart trainer Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Indoor trainer with power meter

Started by midwesttrimom
Views: 2588 Posts: 20

2016-03-22 8:35 AM marcag

Question on Training with Power Meter on Indoor Trainer

Started by sikhstride
Views: 1349 Posts: 11

2016-03-03 2:13 PM msteiner

Smart Trainer vs Power Meter

Started by g_shotts
Views: 4465 Posts: 14

2015-12-22 9:32 AM magic

Power Meter or CycleOps Virtual Trainer

Started by Major BC
Views: 2433 Posts: 11

2013-02-02 8:39 AM AMayfield19

Value of a "trainer only" power meter?

Started by SAquavia
Views: 700 Posts: 2

2009-10-01 9:53 AM JorgeM
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
comments : 0
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.

date : June 24, 2011
author : jasongootman
In part three, the coach answers questions on power meter workouts, threshold calculations and how strength training affects power.
date : May 5, 2011
In part two, you will learn several power meter workouts from race intensity, to aerobic and anaerobic workouts.

date : March 18, 2011
In part one, you will learn the fundamentals of power training and the benefits of training with a power meter.
date : November 5, 2010
author : FitWerx
Do you struggle to hold your power output indoors versus outdoors? The keys to this problem are due to lack of cooling and the flywheel effect.

date : April 19, 2009
Learn how a power meter can serve a role as a race-reconnaissance tool and to help in pacing so you don't go out too hard. Race power analysis included.
date : October 21, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.

date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.