General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimmer's Ear Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-03-23 11:06 AM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario
Subject: Swimmer's Ear

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has had repeat bouts of swimmer's ear and what has helped.  I use the Auro Dry eardrops and don't put anything in my ears that would damage the skin.  I also wear earplugs religiously when swimming.

I feel I am doing as much as I can to prevent this but am wondering if there is something else I am unaware of.  It is hard to get to see an ENT up here for advice.  It is annoying to have to stay off swimming for a week each time!!

Thanks
Jen

2016-03-25 1:20 PM
in reply to: keepitup

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
Subject: RE: Swimmer's Ear
When I was at my worse, I would use the Swimmer's ear drops, but there are some other things you can do.

If I swim at the gym pool, I run the hair dryer over my ear to get them thoroughly dry.

Also, at home, I make a point of laying down on the worse side, ear down to the pillow.
It is amaxing what a little gravity and extra heat in the ear will release.
2016-03-26 8:18 AM
in reply to: eabeam

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS

Is this issue caused by small amounts of water getting trapped in your ear canal? I'm not sure, but assuming so, when I get water stuck in my ear, I will actually flush it out in the shower afterwards. I just tilt my head to side and let the ear canal gently fill up with clean water, rolling my head around so I know that the fresh water has connected with the pool water and then tilt my head back to the other side and it all comes out at once. I think that the water molecules tend to stick together, and it almost always gets the pool water out. I've also used my water bottle to do this in races after a lake/river swim or OWS practice. It may not be the most hygienic thing ever, but then again, I'm sure it's much cleaner that what I was swimming in!

2016-04-11 11:06 AM
in reply to: keepitup

User image

New user
Philadelphia
Hey, I had the same issue. I wore the wax throw away ear plugs and always put the drops in after swims but still had infections. It was recommended I get some ear plugs made, it was not easy to find a place but I called around (this place made hearing aids) and found a place to make me a set. They take molds of your ears, similar to how impressions are made at the dentist. I have had them for years and no recurrent infections. I do make sure my ears are dried out after I swim or shower. With a qtip on the outside and lightly pass the hair dryer by a few times.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimmer's Ear Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swimmer's Ear?

Started by agrant3
Views: 3070 Posts: 11

2012-09-13 6:00 PM mcgilmartin

Swimmer's Ear

Started by TahoeSteve
Views: 989 Posts: 5

2007-04-24 7:22 AM TahoeSteve

Re: Swimmer's Ear

Started by dfygrvty16
Views: 1011 Posts: 7

2005-07-22 7:44 PM kmacbug15

Swimmer's ear

Started by cobannero
Views: 1368 Posts: 12

2005-04-15 4:45 PM cobannero

Swimmers' ear?

Started by CptnJackSparrow
Views: 1543 Posts: 15

2004-11-19 8:53 PM lifesgreat
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
The anatomy, diagnosis and treatment of swimmer's shoulder.

date : December 27, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 5
Are you a new swimmer starting your triathlon training? Here are some top answers to member questions as you begin your triathlon swim training.
date : April 1, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Discussions on common types of overuse injuries in endurance athletes including treatment guidelines and prevention. Injuries include swimmer's shoulder, achilles tendonitis and more.

date : October 2, 2007
author : sportfactory
comments : 9
Poor swim technique, overtraining, unilateral breathing, overuse of training equipment all can cause swimmer's shoulder. Read how to avoid injury and strengthen your muscles.
date : January 1, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You will need to practice a couple of things to get those hips to the surface of the water, where they should be. The two drills involve head position and balance.

date : December 5, 2006
author : Terese Luikens
As a novice swimmer I have listed a few things that may help you build your endurance as you approach the water with a sprint race in your future. It can be overwhelming if you are not a fish.
date : November 9, 2006
author : McFuzz
How to join lap swimmers without making a splash. A primer on the social graces applied to swimming laps.

date : April 3, 2006
author : gsmacleod
A three month program designed to help beginning swimmers improve technique for a sprint distance race.