General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Leg strength imbalance on bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-03-28 10:34 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Subject: Leg strength imbalance on bike

I was given a Garmin Vector S single pedal power system for an early Christmas present last year and was excited to be able to train with power on the bike.  After what was a really easy installation, I was a bit disappointed in my power numbers.  My previous exposure to power was on Trainer Road and I  had an FTP of 230W and with the Vector S I could only manage to get a 190W FTP during the test.  I put that off to being at a different point in my training, coming back after a long left leg hamstring rehab, and perhaps a bit of variation between the Vector and TR (TR claims it can be within a few percent of power meters). 

I then read a number of posts about single pedal systems and how they could potentially be showing an inaccurate power value due to leg strength imbalances.  Since it measures only the left leg and doubles that value, if the left leg is significantly weaker than the right leg, the power value on your computer is necessarily going to be low.  That got me thinking and wanting to upgrade to the dual pedal configuration.  I pulled the trigger and got the upgrade, installed it and went out for a few rides.  Guess what, power was up.  I was sustaining 180W for 90 minute rides at a comfortable/hard effort (HR level 1.7 - 2.4 depending on hill content) and found my left leg is definitely weaker than the right. Based on an albeit small sample size of rides, some flat and some with rollers and small hills, the numbers consistently come in at 43% left and 57% right.  It is not a big surprise that there's a difference and that the left leg is weaker since that is the leg that had the hamstring issue, and now I have to address it.  I have not done an FTP test since I got the dual system and I wanted to see what it would show me, but will be doing that in the next few weeks.

I'm looking for guidance on strengthening exercises and on-bike drills/guidance that will allow me to bring the R/L leg strengths to an even level.  I've got access to a gym with all the free weights and weight machines and have a trainer I can put the bike on to safely focus on the leg without having to worry about surrounding conditions.  Current training is still in base building for next season with my A race (Vineman Ironman) being at the end of July. 

Edited by TTom 2016-03-28 10:50 PM

2016-03-28 11:14 PM
in reply to: TTom

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RE: Leg strength imbalance on bike
In this study, one legged endurance training for 7 weeks had no impact on Vo2 max in two legged cycling. Suggesting that the limitation is central, not peripheral. Not sure it applies directly to your situation, but it's interesting none the less.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22059600/?i=13&from=one%20legged...

My suggestion would just be to continue riding, continue doing your rehab and not worrying too much about whether a weaker left leg is holding back your cyclign performance. Just keep working on your limiters as you already are.

The benefit of bringing the left leg's strength up to the right leg's may be somethign you see more of off the bike. (more balanced running or walking for example...or just more balanced living).
2016-03-29 7:00 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
if you have a watch/head unit that does Garmin cycling dynamics you might be able to see things such a difference in the pedal stroke.

Look for start and length of pedal stroke, how peak power is generated,torque effectiveness. You can measure how well you unload your pedals. It may give you nothing, it may provide insight into where the problem lies.

Make sure you do some tests at very high power levels. My balance is 47/53 at easy levels, but evens out at high % of FTP

I would have a physio confirm he sees strength imbalance.

Edited by marcag 2016-03-29 7:18 AM
2016-03-29 8:36 AM
in reply to: TTom

Master
Northern IL

On the bike at least, it'll be a fair amount of staying out of your own way. Pedal fast, pedal slow, ride hard, ride easy. Basically stuff you should be doing anyway. And in this watch out for trying to compensate as you tire. Throwing weight more to the one side, twisting hips or knees to the side slightly searching for more power. I've had the one leg start to claw a bit more than push and drive through but had a different issue than you. Sometimes analysis tools that have been mentioned can be helpful in figuring more of some of these things to do though be careful of trying to do too much just with feel.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Leg strength imbalance on bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tight back and leg muscles after bike leg (Help)

Started by cswartz
Views: 1621 Posts: 7

2012-07-04 12:27 PM cswartz

Bike Leg Cramps (inside of leg above knee)

Started by NewClydesdale
Views: 5548 Posts: 10

2012-04-02 5:13 PM tri808

Anyone else have an imbalance in leg strength?

Started by bkelly5
Views: 1312 Posts: 11

2008-08-13 9:00 AM JoshKaptur

Biking -- gaining leg strength?

Started by SSMinnow
Views: 1886 Posts: 19

2007-11-30 11:20 AM SSMinnow

Leg Strength

Started by Fikster
Views: 935 Posts: 8

2005-10-10 2:09 PM Fikster
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 3, 2012
author : leglube
comments : 0
Life and training are a lot easier without hair

date : May 5, 2008
author : marmadaddy
comments : 26
Men! Need to find out the best way to shave your legs? This video will compare 6 different leg shaving products to show male triathletes how to shave their legs.
date : October 8, 2007
author : AMSSM
There is a definite strength difference between the two legs. Is there anything I can do to balance the strength in both legs? Anything I should be concerned about?

date : June 27, 2006
author : Team BT
Leg Pull-In strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
Crunch - Legs on Bench strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

comments : 2
One Leg Squat-Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 21, 2006
Leg Extension-Machine strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Gareth
Flexibility, muscle imbalances relating to range of motion and how it affects your swimming technique.