General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do I Drop IMTX now or roll the dice? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2016-05-02 6:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Do I Drop IMTX now or roll the dice?

Originally posted by jareed58 I am toying with the idea of bringing my trainer with me, and jumping on it after I finish the marathon. Would I still have the "140.6" bragging rights, if I finished 18 miles on the trainer?

Talk to us at mile 26.3 of the run......  

Edited by ChrisM 2016-05-02 6:50 PM

2016-05-02 7:11 PM
in reply to: jareed58

User image

Originally posted by jareed58 I am toying with the idea of bringing my trainer with me, and jumping on it after I finish the marathon. Would I still have the "140.6" bragging rights, if I finished 18 miles on the trainer?

You would need a rear wheel speed sensor to record distance on the trainer, so if that's the case you're better off just turning your bike upside down in T2, then hand spinning the cranks in your fastest gear until your speed sensor records 112 miles.

2016-05-03 6:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Yeah... that's never going to happen.

2016-05-03 9:22 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by ChrisM

Or just ask him at mile 80 of the bike if he would still want to tie another 32...
2016-05-03 12:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by bcagle25
Originally posted by ChrisM

Or just ask him at mile 80 of the bike if he would still want to tie another 32...

Yes, wonder how many race reports we'll read saying "I was at 90 and thank goodness only 4 more to go!!!!!"

It is pretty amazing in a 140.6, you get to mile 90 on the bike, which is a significant distance IMO, and you feel like you should be close to done, and you still have 22 MILES TO GO, over an hour for most.

Edited by ChrisM 2016-05-03 12:51 PM
2016-05-03 3:43 PM

User image

Well. now you can pull the pin and switch to another open IM.

2016-05-03 4:28 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I live in TX and train in the heat and humidity....and I'd be glad to be getting off the bike 18 miles early (even if it was my first IM).  I highly doubt any of the whiners would be at mile 94 thinking, "I really wish I could stay on this bike for another hour!"

Good on WTC for allowing transfers.  I'd bet not too many people take the option....I'd also bet that there will still be a number of people whining (pre-race) about the 94 mile bike course simply for the sake of whining or cursing WTC.  Can't please 'em all....but WTC sure seems to be trying.  Kudos to them!

2016-05-04 7:07 AM
in reply to: #5174548

ironic how many whiners are whining about whiners.
2016-05-04 7:39 AM
in reply to: #5180202

If the only reason one is competing in IM TX is to do one ironman to brag about what you did, put a 140.6 sticker on your car so others know you did it (and never do another IM, ever), that's missing the point of triathlon altogether IMO. The slowtwitch thread is ridiculous to me. I haven't read the whole thing but I was happy to see the person who created it get ridiculed. The money is not a valid argument or even close to one. Read the fine print when you register.

Like others have said, the race is the race. To those who complete it, it will be a monumental accomplishment that all can be proud of. I wish i was doing it! Didnt IM FL have to cancel the whole swim a few years ago on race eve or morning because of rough water? This is part of what we all sign up for in a race of any distance. It's not like they reduced the bike course to 40 miles.

If a non triathlete calls you out for doing an ironman with a 94 bike instead of 112, tell them to go out and do a 2.4 mile swim, 94 bike, and marathon and then talk to you about it not being a legitimate accomplishment. And if you the triathlete can't be proud of your accomplishment, that's unfortunate IMO.
2016-05-04 8:25 AM
in reply to: PBT_2009

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by PBT_2009 If the only reason one is competing in IM TX is to do one ironman to brag about what you did, put a 140.6 sticker on your car so others know you did it (and never do another IM, ever), that's missing the point of triathlon altogether IMO. The slowtwitch thread is ridiculous to me. I haven't read the whole thing but I was happy to see the person who created it get ridiculed. The money is not a valid argument or even close to one. Read the fine print when you register. Like others have said, the race is the race. To those who complete it, it will be a monumental accomplishment that all can be proud of. I wish i was doing it! Didnt IM FL have to cancel the whole swim a few years ago on race eve or morning because of rough water? This is part of what we all sign up for in a race of any distance. It's not like they reduced the bike course to 40 miles. If a non triathlete calls you out for doing an ironman with a 94 bike instead of 112, tell them to go out and do a 2.4 mile swim, 94 bike, and marathon and then talk to you about it not being a legitimate accomplishment. And if you the triathlete can't be proud of your accomplishment, that's unfortunate IMO.

Everyone races for different reasons.

I do agree that the complaints are pretty silly, though.  It seems that most of the people complaining the are first timers, who feel they're somehow facing less of a challenge.  The crazy thing about that is what I said in the discussion on ST - This race with a 94 mile bike actually presents a greater challenge compared to a 140.6 for anyone who wants to race their best time.  Ignorance is bliss.

2016-05-04 11:25 AM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by PBT_2009 If the only reason one is competing in IM TX is to do one ironman to brag about what you did, put a 140.6 sticker on your car so others know you did it (and never do another IM, ever), that's missing the point of triathlon altogether IMO. The slowtwitch thread is ridiculous to me. I haven't read the whole thing but I was happy to see the person who created it get ridiculed. The money is not a valid argument or even close to one. Read the fine print when you register. Like others have said, the race is the race. To those who complete it, it will be a monumental accomplishment that all can be proud of. I wish i was doing it! Didnt IM FL have to cancel the whole swim a few years ago on race eve or morning because of rough water? This is part of what we all sign up for in a race of any distance. It's not like they reduced the bike course to 40 miles. If a non triathlete calls you out for doing an ironman with a 94 bike instead of 112, tell them to go out and do a 2.4 mile swim, 94 bike, and marathon and then talk to you about it not being a legitimate accomplishment. And if you the triathlete can't be proud of your accomplishment, that's unfortunate IMO.

I don't think it's about bragging rights so much as it's about seeing what the time results would be. I'd want to know how I stacked up in a distance that's become so standardized, rather than some ambiguous distance. But don't get me wrong, it's exciting and worthwhile no matter how long it is.

2016-05-04 5:36 PM
in reply to: #5180209

Agreed. I always like to think how a certain race would've been if this or if that...if that was a flatter run course, I could've gone 20 sec/mi faster, if the water was calmer, etc etc.

Ironmans have enough participants to show good relative standing and eliminate outliers, not like a small locall race with 12 people per age group. One can extrapolate on how they stack up relative to others based on the results? And extrapolate from there if one wishes.
2016-05-04 6:31 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
I totally get why people would be upset. That's a REALLY long way to go, to not go all the way. Yeah, at mile 94, most people won't be at too much of a loss about getting off the bike, but the whole point of this journey is to go 112...that's why we all stayed on the bike past mile 94. We are testing ourselves to go 140.6 miles. That is the race. If the distance didn't matter, why not just do a half? Some people don't have the money or the time to do two, so they get this one shot to see if they can do a full Ironman. This may be it for a lot of folks. Let's not belittle it. Would I care if I was doing it? No. Because not only have I done one, but I plan to do more, so it wouldn't be an issue at all. But am I going to sit on my high horse and tell others that it's not a big deal? No. Because it is. It's a really big deal. When they look back and think about how grateful they were to get off that bike at mile 94, that voice in their head will inevitably lead to, "but could I have done 112?" When they get to the end of the marathon and they are totally spent, and have pushed themselves to the limit, that voice will be there..."could I have finished if I had to ride that extra 18 miles?" People devote a lot of time, sacrifice and money to see if they can do 140.6, and a lot of people can't do it twice. That, to me, sucks.

I think WTC has done all that could be expected in this case, however, it's too late for most people. They have already devoted the time to training, the money to the trip, the sacrifice to their lives, and now when they finish, they will always have that nagging question.
2016-05-05 10:07 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by 3mar

I totally get why people would be upset. That's a REALLY long way to go, to not go all the way. Yeah, at mile 94, most people won't be at too much of a loss about getting off the bike, but the whole point of this journey is to go 112...that's why we all stayed on the bike past mile 94. We are testing ourselves to go 140.6 miles. That is the race. If the distance didn't matter, why not just do a half? Some people don't have the money or the time to do two, so they get this one shot to see if they can do a full Ironman. This may be it for a lot of folks. Let's not belittle it. Would I care if I was doing it? No. Because not only have I done one, but I plan to do more, so it wouldn't be an issue at all. But am I going to sit on my high horse and tell others that it's not a big deal? No. Because it is. It's a really big deal. When they look back and think about how grateful they were to get off that bike at mile 94, that voice in their head will inevitably lead to, "but could I have done 112?" When they get to the end of the marathon and they are totally spent, and have pushed themselves to the limit, that voice will be there..."could I have finished if I had to ride that extra 18 miles?" People devote a lot of time, sacrifice and money to see if they can do 140.6, and a lot of people can't do it twice. That, to me, sucks.

I think WTC has done all that could be expected in this case, however, it's too late for most people. They have already devoted the time to training, the money to the trip, the sacrifice to their lives, and now when they finish, they will always have that nagging question.

Great post, and I totally agree.
2016-05-05 1:30 PM
in reply to: Dutchcrush

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
If you have to ask, you know the answer.
2016-05-05 3:42 PM

Originally posted by 3mar

I am in no real position to discuss this as I am a total newbie, but I think that is really well said. I think someone on ST also said something along the lines of how can you fault first timers for thinking that way when the 140.6 has be thrown in people's faces for so long and Ironman's entire marketing is based on the 140.6 number.

2016-05-05 3:46 PM

User image

Originally posted by 3mar I totally get why people would be upset. That's a REALLY long way to go, to not go all the way. Yeah, at mile 94, most people won't be at too much of a loss about getting off the bike, but the whole point of this journey is to go 112...that's why we all stayed on the bike past mile 94. We are testing ourselves to go 140.6 miles. That is the race. If the distance didn't matter, why not just do a half? Some people don't have the money or the time to do two, so they get this one shot to see if they can do a full Ironman. This may be it for a lot of folks. Let's not belittle it. Would I care if I was doing it? No. Because not only have I done one, but I plan to do more, so it wouldn't be an issue at all. But am I going to sit on my high horse and tell others that it's not a big deal? No. Because it is. It's a really big deal. When they look back and think about how grateful they were to get off that bike at mile 94, that voice in their head will inevitably lead to, "but could I have done 112?" When they get to the end of the marathon and they are totally spent, and have pushed themselves to the limit, that voice will be there..."could I have finished if I had to ride that extra 18 miles?" People devote a lot of time, sacrifice and money to see if they can do 140.6, and a lot of people can't do it twice. That, to me, sucks. I think WTC has done all that could be expected in this case, however, it's too late for most people. They have already devoted the time to training, the money to the trip, the sacrifice to their lives, and now when they finish, they will always have that nagging question.

I get why someone might be upset as well, but that open letter on ST was so dramatically over the top as to cast aspersions on all the whiners!

First timers are actually getting a great lesson.  (IMO) IM is mostly about dealing with the sh*% that will get thrown at you during the race, and figuring out how to deal with it.  They're just getting the lesson a little earlier   

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do I Drop IMTX now or roll the dice? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Done and done

Started by skinnyterror
Views: 2096 Posts: 13

2013-07-11 4:55 PM TTom

IMTX 2012 --Are you in? Pages: 1 2

Started by papson14
Views: 6288 Posts: 39

2011-05-24 11:08 PM papson14

IMTX watching thread Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by dodgersmom
Views: 7491 Posts: 97

2011-05-23 10:45 PM tjfry

Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri

Started by pilotzs
Views: 1647 Posts: 5

2013-05-28 5:00 PM tacetman

dropping weight vs. dropping fat %

Started by tritank
Views: 1374 Posts: 15

2006-03-21 6:22 PM nuke_angel
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 5, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 0
After you have established the Ironman goal, the most important factor outside of the training is which race to choose? What is your best sort of course, hilly, rolling, flat?