General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What size sneaker to get? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-03-31 5:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Subject: What size sneaker to get?
I wear a size 7.5 shoe but once had a salesperson tell me I needed a size 8.5 sneaker. I've been wearing an 8.5 for years. Got a wide foot and it's snug, but I do have a good 1/4 inch past my big toe. Bought a new pair and wonder what to get. No space in front of toes in an 8, but is the room in an 8.5 a problem? Trying a avoid any injurys.
Thanks,
Mitzi

2016-03-31 5:19 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: What size sneaker to get?
The folks at your local running store should be able to help best here. I haven't heard any rules of thumb saying to get a size up - that sounds pretty generic and not necessarily applicable to everyone. This is probably where you'll tell me that a running store rep gave you that advice in the first place

Is the 7.5 in more of a dress shoe? I guess there could be some differences there (dress vs. sneaker), but having it always be a size different seems odd. In any case, I would think one of the shoe makers has a model that has both the width you need and the appropriate length.
2016-03-31 5:35 PM
in reply to: #5174807

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
It was a salesperson at Dick's, not a real running store.
2016-04-01 8:05 AM
in reply to: #5174813

User image

Franklin, TN
Your feet will swell during longer runs. I wouldn't want to start out with them feeling too snug.
2016-04-01 8:10 AM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

Temperance, Michigan
Got to hit the local running store and they will hook you up!!!! Price a little higher than Dick's but well worth it to get solid advice.
2016-04-01 9:48 AM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Pennsylvania

I'll echo the "go to a real running store" advice, not just for a better salesperson, but for more/better options in shoes.  Just because a size 8 'fits' in an Asics, for instance, doesn't mean an 8 will feel the same in a Brooks or Nike, etc.  It's a very good idea to try on a variety of shoes and see what feels best for you and your feet. Not to mention most running stores will help find the right type of shoe for your running style and foot movement (pronation).  Good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What size sneaker to get? Rss Feed