General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Taper week ahead of first HIM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-04-01 12:16 PM

Subject: Taper week ahead of first HIM
Hi All,

I am pretty behind on my training but have come to terms that this last week will not help in terms of fitness. My friend suggested doing a 9 mile run and 45 mile bike ride this weekend as my last workouts (HIM is on Saturday 4/9) but I am not sure if this is too much volume? I am definitely going to do some light workout and practice my transitions this last week.

Do you guys have any tips in terms of nutrition or things that you recommend me doing this last couple of days?

2016-04-01 2:06 PM
in reply to: ghettoflow21

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: RE: Taper week ahead of first HIM
I don't know that that would help you a week prior to your HIM. I would however continue to do workouts throughout the week keep yourself loose. I certainly wouldn't recommend taking five days off prior to your race.

A taper is intended to help your body catch up to residual fatigue. If you haven't been fatiguing your body, then there is nothing to catch up from. At this point though, you aren't going to gain anything from exercising either, so I'd just keep it in between. Keep yourself loose and moving this week.
2016-04-01 3:36 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Veteran
Agreed - stay mobile, stay healthy, go forth and conquer!
2016-04-01 5:10 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I wouldn't worry too much about doing a brick. Do one early and the other later, or split to two separate days, don't overdo it though as the delayed onset soreness can get you if your not use to it.  Since you can always walk parts of the run during the race, see if you can go the distance on the bike, keep the pace easy, play with the nutrition on the ride as that's important, ~250-300 cal per hour and hydrate as needed with the weather.  Just keep moving this week decreasing volume.

Not sure how much training you did up to this point.  But for my 1st HIM I had a bike crash in an Oly 6 weeks before that lost some skin on and kept me out of the pool for a month. I focused on running and riding once the deep knee wound allowed after about a week.  Then just under 2 weeks before the race wife and I developed a nasty chest infections, kids were little then and we seemed to catch everything from them!  I had a business trip the week of the race and was still recovering from the infection and got moving a bit again.  Race day came around I had a decent time, definitely slower than I wanted but I did it. 

2016-04-01 6:54 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
good points from the others.
Tapering techniques vary a lot, and depending on your fitness and goals, will have different strategies behind it.

On the last weekend,. I'd reduce volume what my prior weekend was by about 30-40%.
should still be a strong effort but shorter.

during the final week, keep the intensity but much shorter workouts. Nothing that will drive you into recovery/fatigue.

I usually rest a full day 2 days prior to race day, and have a "wake up" S/B/R day before or 15-15-15 mins (early in the day)

get your list of gear together, go over your plan, your transitions, and your nutrition/hydration.

gear check, bike check

look at the race courses, read the race info, and check the weather conditions.
2016-04-04 9:02 AM

User image

Nutrition tips. Hydrate throughout the week. It's not the kind of thing you can catch up on the day before the event. I personally ditch the veggies 2 days before my event and try to eat very simple and plain food.

I become a little bit of a nut the two days before the race I try to only eat things I've personally prepared. Nothing spicy, very few condiments, nothing fried, plenty of salt. But most people are more relaxed about this than I am to be honest.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Taper week ahead of first HIM Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

2 week vs. 3 week IM taper

Started by Climbinggonzo
Views: 1671 Posts: 7

2012-10-29 7:03 PM swiss tri

Last week before Taper Week!

Started by inspiration
Views: 956 Posts: 5

2011-03-22 9:51 PM inspiration

Just got my first blister two weeks before IM taper

Started by Jeepguy2358
Views: 879 Posts: 5

2010-07-30 6:43 AM Jeepguy2358

Spring Ahead Week 9 -- 04/09/2007

Started by ultramike
Views: 1419 Posts: 21

2007-04-11 4:47 PM pokerplayer

First Olympic coming up in 2+ weeks -- Taper??

Started by dutch
Views: 437 Posts: 1

2006-08-24 7:05 PM dutch
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 19, 2014
author : mikericci
comments : 0
There are a lot of flavors to an Iron distance taper plan. Do you reduce the volume, the frequency or both? This article will go over some tried-and-true taper plans.

date : May 16, 2012
author : suebum74
comments : 4
Why do triathletes need a recovery week and why do we feel so bad during it?
date : December 27, 2011
author : Amy Kuitse
You may find your taper plan changing from week to week, based on how your body responds to the actual taper.

date : July 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
I'm tapering this week for my first sprint triathlon. I'm thinking I may need to adjust my calorie intake for the decreased workout load? How do I make sure I am properly fueled for the race?
date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?

date : August 20, 2008
author : Coach AJ
I have my first tri coming up and I want to know how much I should train on race week and when do I stop completely?
date : February 7, 2008
author : AMSSM
The off season should be just that – a time to rest your body, to rehabilitate injury, and to plan ahead on how to improve performance and prevent injury in the season to come.

date : June 13, 2005
author : FishrCutB8
comments : 6
A little bit of everything from training, your equipment list, laying out a transition area and other pre-race preparations.