General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wearing race number under wetsuit Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-04-04 10:40 PM

Subject: Wearing race number under wetsuit
I want to try and podium in a sprint this weekend. I did the same course in December and was 12/65 in my AG with 1.12. To podium I need to knock about 4 mins off my time, so I'm just looking at all the different legs and where I can improve time. I had quite a slow T1, fiddling with my Kask Bambino visor (not wearing it now) putting race belt on and a few other things. I'm probably only talking 10s, but can I wear my race belt under my wetsuit? Need to have number on for bike leg. Can't say I've ever seen anyone do this. Also any other tips on knocking time off? Especially for transition, mine are slow. 4th out the water, T1 I was 17th..

Fitness wise there is no reason why I can't podium, but I never seem to get everything right on the day. Good ride & run, but bad swim, good swim, but bad ride. So yeah appreciate any tips!

Edited by zedzded 2016-04-04 10:47 PM

2016-04-05 2:53 AM
in reply to: zedzded

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: RE: Wearing race number under wetsuit
Unless you HAVE to wear it on the bike.......put it on in T2. I see people fiddling with those things a lot. I just grab mine (left under my shoes) and go. I pull it over my head exiting T2 (I don't un-hook the belt).

Good luck.
2016-04-05 3:11 AM
in reply to: nc452010

Originally posted by nc452010

Unless you HAVE to wear it on the bike.......put it on in T2. I see people fiddling with those things a lot. I just grab mine (left under my shoes) and go. I pull it over my head exiting T2 (I don't un-hook the belt).

Good luck.

Yeah we have to. They are a bit anal about it and send you back from the mounting point if u don't have it.
2016-04-05 6:32 AM

User image

IDK how comfortable it will be but you can do it. I've seen it from time to time but have never done it. Some people wear them in non wetsuit swims, tucked into their shorts.
2016-04-05 7:14 AM

User image

I can see the race number/belt getting tangled under the wetsuit when you try to take it off and causing problems. If you want to save time in T1, this is just a sprint, so is it a sprint in warm water with a 200m swim, or is it a sprint in cold water with a 1000m swim? Do you even need a wetsuit, or will taking it off cost more time that it saves?

It sounds like you need to practice transitions. Are you using speed laces? Are you fiddling with a watch? One I see a lot is the towel placement. People put their towels under their shoes, then they disrupt their shoes to get the towel and dry off and have to sort out their shoes and socks again. The towel should go on the top tube of your bike for easy access, and you don't need to dry anything but your feet unless it is really cold. Do you put baby powder in your socks (or shoes if you don't wear socks) so they slide on easily. Are you jogging through transition or strolling? Are your helmet and sunglasses positioned on your handlebars for easy access? Do you have a lot of excess equipment that you have to sort through to get to the stuff you need?

Just a few things to consider. FWIW, my transitions are usually some of the fastest in any race I do.
2016-04-05 8:02 AM

User image

Exton, PA
I would not, it takes less than 5 seconds to put that race belt on. If it's uncomfortable in the water or gets tangled in your wetsuit somehow you could easily lose much more time.

4 minutes may not sound like much but that 5% faster of a race for you. You need to make most of that up on the swim, bike, or run. If you practice T1 and 2 you might be able to gain a 1 minute there depending on how bad you were before.

2016-04-05 8:37 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I've seen it, but i would definitely try it in training first.  All kind of things get caught up/tangled in the suit, especially when you're wet.  A race belt is so easy to put on later.

I would also be curious to see your routine.  Put everything on the bike that you want to take with you, such as sunglasses, nutrition, fluids, shoes.  That should all be tucked away and ready to go.  The only thing you should be putting on after the swim is helmet (and apparently race belt, that is a bummer)..  EVERYTHING else happens while you're riding.   Your wetsuit should be at your waist or totally off, goggles and cap in hand, by the time your reach  your bike.  

Have you ever watched an ITU triathlon on TV?  They focus on the pros and you can see how they transition. It's super fast.  You could possibly find this on YouTube.

ETA: Same advice for T2.  Take off helmet and put on shoes, but everything else happens while running (I put on my visor, racebelt and maybe tuck a gel in my pocket.)  T2 shouldn't take more than 10 secs longer than the amount of time it takes you to traverse the distance from bike in, your spot, run out.

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2016-04-05 8:40 AM
2016-04-05 8:59 AM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Veteran
Are there any other reasons your T1 may be slow? I am also slow in T1, but 98% of that is because I put on socks to ride with and haven't really perfected a technique to put them onto wet feet. Additionally, I haven't practiced starting with the shoes already on my bike. That could save me 20 seconds or so. You may already be doing these things, but thought I'd throw them out there as alternatives.
2016-04-05 9:07 AM
in reply to: happyscientist

Originally posted by happyscientist

I can see the race number/belt getting tangled under the wetsuit when you try to take it off and causing problems. If you want to save time in T1, this is just a sprint, so is it a sprint in warm water with a 200m swim, or is it a sprint in cold water with a 1000m swim? Do you even need a wetsuit, or will taking it off cost more time that it saves?

It sounds like you need to practice transitions. Are you using speed laces? Are you fiddling with a watch? One I see a lot is the towel placement. People put their towels under their shoes, then they disrupt their shoes to get the towel and dry off and have to sort out their shoes and socks again. The towel should go on the top tube of your bike for easy access, and you don't need to dry anything but your feet unless it is really cold. Do you put baby powder in your socks (or shoes if you don't wear socks) so they slide on easily. Are you jogging through transition or strolling? Are your helmet and sunglasses positioned on your handlebars for easy access? Do you have a lot of excess equipment that you have to sort through to get to the stuff you need?

Just a few things to consider. FWIW, my transitions are usually some of the fastest in any race I do.

OP did not mention a towel/drying off but just in case; don't do it. No need to use a towel or dry off. Air dry on the bike. Wetsuit off, helmet & bike shoes on & in this case race bib & off you go. As someone else mentioned, do not stroll through transition. This is a race & you want to podium. Run.
2016-04-05 9:19 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by 5stones
Originally posted by happyscientist I can see the race number/belt getting tangled under the wetsuit when you try to take it off and causing problems. If you want to save time in T1, this is just a sprint, so is it a sprint in warm water with a 200m swim, or is it a sprint in cold water with a 1000m swim? Do you even need a wetsuit, or will taking it off cost more time that it saves? It sounds like you need to practice transitions. Are you using speed laces? Are you fiddling with a watch? One I see a lot is the towel placement. People put their towels under their shoes, then they disrupt their shoes to get the towel and dry off and have to sort out their shoes and socks again. The towel should go on the top tube of your bike for easy access, and you don't need to dry anything but your feet unless it is really cold. Do you put baby powder in your socks (or shoes if you don't wear socks) so they slide on easily. Are you jogging through transition or strolling? Are your helmet and sunglasses positioned on your handlebars for easy access? Do you have a lot of excess equipment that you have to sort through to get to the stuff you need? Just a few things to consider. FWIW, my transitions are usually some of the fastest in any race I do.
OP did not mention a towel/drying off but just in case; don't do it. No need to use a towel or dry off. Air dry on the bike. Wetsuit off, helmet & bike shoes on & in this case race bib & off you go. As someone else mentioned, do not stroll through transition. This is a race & you want to podium. Run.

^^^This^^^  Don't use a towel in transition for anything other than sitting your things on, and wiping your feet before putting on socks (assuming you're not going sockless, and doing flying mounts & dismounts from the bike.  Fast transitions require keeping things as simple as possible.  Nothing extra.

Here's a picture of what a good set up looks like for someone wearing socks.  For the guy who said he struggles with getting socks on, notice that they're rolled up and stuck in the bike shoes, so all you need to do is slip your toes into them, and unroll them onto your feet.

Answering the OP, practice it in training, but you should be fine wearing your race belt and number under your wetsuit.  I've done it personally, and have had athletes who've done it without any issues.

ETA: By the way, if you're doing a race like most, that doesn't require your race number on the bike, clip your race belt through the back strap on your running hat, and put both the hat and belt on as you're running out of transition.  Don't take the time to do it at your transition spot.

Edited by TriMyBest 2016-04-05 9:22 AM
2016-04-05 9:31 AM

User image

Oakville

I've worn my race belt under my wetsuit for years and have never had a problem.

The race number is facing forward on your stomach and flipped up as you pull up the wetsuit.

Unless you have to have the race number on your back on the bike, I'd leave it facing forward.  

2016-04-05 8:17 PM

Originally posted by CycloneVM

Are there any other reasons your T1 may be slow? I am also slow in T1, but 98% of that is because I put on socks to ride with and haven't really perfected a technique to put them onto wet feet. Additionally, I haven't practiced starting with the shoes already on my bike. That could save me 20 seconds or so. You may already be doing these things, but thought I'd throw them out there as alternatives.

It's a 750m swim, water temp is OK, but will be wetsuit legal so might as well wear one. My T2s are OK. I have elastic laces, so slip shoes on, grab sunnies and go. I don't bother with a towel for T1, watch is already on, shoes clipped in. The 4 minutes I need, I figured out I can get another min of swim, by changing tactics. And 45s to 1 min off 5km run. I've found with the sprints, if I run the first 1km reasonably hard I can hold that pace, whereas if I start a bit slower and then try and speed it up, it feels quite tough. I can definitely ride faster than I normally do, so hoping to pick up time there too. I'd normally be in the top 3 out the water, then lose a couple places on bike then a couple more on the run. I'm planning on riding harder though, so will hope to maintain position on bike and if I can come into T1 in 3rd with a minute or so lead I should be able to hold the other guys off.

Edited by zedzded 2016-04-05 8:18 PM
2016-04-06 1:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by zedzded

It's a 750m swim, water temp is OK, but will be wetsuit legal so might as well wear one. My T2s are OK. I have elastic laces, so slip shoes on, grab sunnies and go. I don't bother with a towel for T1, watch is already on, shoes clipped in. The 4 minutes I need, I figured out I can get another min of swim, by changing tactics. And 45s to 1 min off 5km run. I've found with the sprints, if I run the first 1km reasonably hard I can hold that pace, whereas if I start a bit slower and then try and speed it up, it feels quite tough. I can definitely ride faster than I normally do, so hoping to pick up time there too. I'd normally be in the top 3 out the water, then lose a couple places on bike then a couple more on the run. I'm planning on riding harder though, so will hope to maintain position on bike and if I can come into T1 in 3rd with a minute or so lead I should be able to hold the other guys off.
I assume that because of our "torso covered" rule you wear a tri suit or top and shorts? If so can your pin you number on your top so that it doesn't get caught on your wetsuit? Not sure if this will comply with the rules though cause it will be on your front on the bike rather then the back.

Good Luck on Sunday - the weather is looking good and hopefully the stingers aren't out in force like they were in December and last year.
2016-04-06 2:51 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Some race bibs can disintegrate in the water - I've read that in a few of the "fine print" sections of race packets. 

I usually grab my race belt and put it on as I'm running out of transition. It's not a difficult multitask.

2016-04-07 1:35 AM
in reply to: lisac957

Originally posted by lisac957
  • It's not a difficult multitask.

• Sure, but when you consider that last sprint I came 10th and there was only a difference of 45s between 10th and 5th it's worth considering very small things like this.
    2016-04-07 3:13 AM

User image

Veteran
    Western Australia

Originally posted by lisac957
  • It's not a difficult multitask.

• Sure, but when you consider that last sprint I came 10th and there was only a difference of 45s between 10th and 5th it's worth considering very small things like this.
    and its hard to juggle your bike and putting on a race belt at the same time. The rule here (where zed is) is that you have to wear your number on the bike leg as well as the run leg.

2016-04-07 9:48 AM

, Vermont
    I don't know...it seems like a relatively minor hurdle to figure out. Maybe try to do a few more sprints in training and get faster to compensate?
    2016-04-07 10:01 AM
    in reply to: ninagski

User image

Pro

zed - 4 minutes is a lifetime in a sprint race.....you've got bigger fish to fry.  Practice putting your belt on and were to have it in transition for the fastest application, and move on.

2016-04-07 12:07 PM
    in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Unless there is a long run in/run out there is no reason you shouldn't be closer to two minutes in transition.  How often do you practice your transitions?  Very overlooked aspect.  One of the local tri clubs here sets up a few racks by the lake several times a year and folks repeat coming out of the water and onto their bikes.  Time well spent. 

2016-04-07 12:15 PM
    in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
    Toronto
    Bronze member

I done both - worn it under my wetsuit and put it on transition. 

When i did wear it under it was that plastic kind of material bib and it was on a race belt and wore it in front during the swim. Swims here are 99% of the time wetsuit legal so i wore one. I honestly didn't notice it and it was completely fine. Now i am not competitive, i just forget stuff in transition so it was one less thing to forget. But it's not something I need to do or i don't think it actually saves all that much time over hanging it on my bike bars and remembering to put it on in T1. I still wear socks on the bike ... 

2016-04-07 5:45 PM
    in reply to: StaceyK

Originally posted by StaceyK

I assume that because of our "torso covered" rule you wear a tri suit or top and shorts? If so can your pin you number on your top so that it doesn't get caught on your wetsuit? Not sure if this will comply with the rules though cause it will be on your front on the bike rather then the back.

Good Luck on Sunday - the weather is looking good and hopefully the stingers aren't out in force like they were in December and last year.

cheers. How has your season gone? Are you racing Busso?

2016-04-07 5:52 PM
    in reply to: popsracer

Originally posted by popsracer

Unless there is a long run in/run out there is no reason you shouldn't be closer to two minutes in transition.  How often do you practice your transitions?  Very overlooked aspect.  One of the local tri clubs here sets up a few racks by the lake several times a year and folks repeat coming out of the water and onto their bikes.  Time well spent. 

Yeah I should practise T1 more. My last helmet was a PITA to get on and I've now upgraded to a Kask Bambino great helmet, but also a bit of a PITA to put on. If you rush it the helmet strap can come off as it's only secured with velcro and the visor is only secured with magnets so that can also come flying off! Will practise a bit more with the helmet and will probably just put the bib on in T1. Another thing where I seem to struggle a little bit is finding my bike! Not an issue in the smaller sprints, but Busso 70.3 in May will have close to 2000 bikes, even if I remember the row, I always seem to run past it and have to run back. Sounds stupid, how can you run past your own bike, but I guess in the heat of the moment.. I'm actually planning on pouring a line of sand across the grass to signify where my bike is. Hopefully that's not a penalty offence of anything!
    2016-04-09 11:22 PM

Race went OK. Finished 8th which was alright. 3 mins off 3rd. Transitions were good, T1 I put race belt on rather than wear it for swim and I used gorilla tape to secure helmet strap, so no problems with helmet. I was 2nd out the water, but didn't have a great ride, it was windy and I felt like I was riding through treacle. Hit the run in 5th and was running 4.15/kms but slowed and lost a few more places. I need to work on my run. 21.40 whereas the other guys are all running 18s, 19s. So until I can start hitting these times in training I'm going to have to get used to 7th, 8th etc!
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wearing race number under wetsuit Rss Feed  
    RELATED POSTS

Wetsuit, TriSuit, bibs, bike shorts. I'm baffled

Started by sambewka
    Views: 1510 Posts: 7

2012-05-15 12:49 PM McFuzz

No wetsuit or not-wetsuit-legal races, what do you wear and how do you wear it?

Started by merlin2375
    Views: 1595 Posts: 7

2010-08-24 11:24 AM newbz

To wear a wetsuit or not to wear a wet suit, that is the question

Started by SChaeme1
    Views: 2815 Posts: 17

2010-05-19 12:55 PM drewbialk

Anybody wear a wetsuit in non-wetsuit races?

Started by ChiefBrody
    Views: 1321 Posts: 12

2009-05-20 3:16 PM tkd.teacher

what to wear under wetsuit

Started by Jody
    Views: 1042 Posts: 3

2003-09-04 10:40 AM swimbikerun
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : September 24, 2012
    comments : 1
    Your wetsuit is a substantial investment, and proper care will extend its life considerably.

date : October 19, 2010
    author : Amy Kuitse
    comments : 0
    Do you have your first triathlon coming up? This article will give you a few tips on what to wear for your triathlon.
    date : February 4, 2010
    author : Tri Swim Coach
    Learn about the different styles of triathlon wetsuits, how to choose one and why it is beneficial to have one.

date : November 17, 2008
    author : Ontherun
    In part 3 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the Neo Sport Sprint fullsuit for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.
    date : November 5, 2008
    author : FitWerx
    How often should you have a bike tune up and what should be included? Is it unreasonable to expect a refitting as part of the tune up?

date : September 3, 2008
    author : Ontherun
    The first video in this series will go through some wetsuit basics: what is a triathlon wetsuit, different styles, rules for racing with a wetsuit and wetsuit care and fit.
    date : August 20, 2008
    author : Tri Swim Coach
    I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?

date : July 7, 2008
    author : Ron
    This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.