Other Resources The Political Joe » Tennessee is officially out of problems...I guess. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-04-05 10:38 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: Tennessee is officially out of problems...I guess.
The State of Tennessee, after having already designated the Barrett .50cal as the Official State Gun, are now voting to declare the Bible to be the Official State Book.

I mean, it says right in the state constitution that "no preference shall ever be given, by law, to any religious establishment or mode of worship," but hey, no big deal, right?

It's nice to see that they've apparently solved all the big problems in the Volunteer State. I can't wait for the legislature to officially declare "Heterosexual" as the "Official State Sexual Preference" and "Whutever G-d Done Gave Ya" as the "Official Gender Identity".

( Side note, there's a bill working its way through the New York State legislature that's going to declare as the Official State Gun of New York, the .38 Special with Electrical Tape Wrapped Around the Grip and the Serial Number Filed Off. It's expected to pass with little resistance.

2016-04-05 12:05 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: Tennessee is officially out of problems...I guess.

Well, we still have the third most dangerous city (Memphis) with over 60 homicides this year...

2016-04-05 3:08 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
And yet, I bet not one of those homicides was committed with the Official State Gun. Do people have no civic pride?
2016-04-06 9:44 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn And yet, I bet not one of those homicides was committed with the Official State Gun. Do people have no civic pride?

TBH, I had no idea states had official books or guns!

2016-04-06 10:26 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by jford2309

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn And yet, I bet not one of those homicides was committed with the Official State Gun. Do people have no civic pride?

lol, yeah what exactly does it mean to be a "state book"  

2016-04-06 10:39 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

( Side note, there's a bill working its way through the New York State legislature that's going to declare as the Official State Gun of New York, the .38 Special with Electrical Tape Wrapped Around the Grip and the Serial Number Filed Off. It's expected to pass with little resistance.

I hear the zip gun is also a strong contender for state gun amongst the old school NYers.

2016-04-06 11:09 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

NY state gun:

2016-04-06 11:41 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

I don't think Tennessee understands the concept of "State ______". They literally have 10 different state songs.

Alabama has an official state bible. It's the actual bible that was used to swear in Jefferson Davis as president of the Confederate States. As an athiest, that doesn't bother me one bit. It's a historical artifact. What Tennessee is doing is beyond stupid, and (in my opinion) a clear violation of the 1st Amendment. The only thing Tennessee will accomplish here is to waste their taxpayers' money defending this dumb legislation in court.

2016-04-06 12:10 PM
in reply to: Bob Loblaw

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

The next issue we face is the "Transgender Bathroom Bill" that is coming up for vote. So, I can see there being problems with that no matter how it is voted on.

Whenever there is a vote, there will always be people that disagree with the outcome.

2016-04-06 1:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

The next issue we face is the "Transgender Bathroom Bill" that is coming up for vote. So, I can see there being problems with that no matter how it is voted on.

Whenever there is a vote, there will always be people that disagree with the outcome.

Did you happen to see the picture that Kroger's supermarket put up in one of their gender-neutral bathrooms? it was circulating on social media the other day.

I thought it explained the value of not having separate male/female bathrooms in a way that made it seem both obvious and inclusive, as opposed to it being about protecting gender identity rights and other things that make people uncomfortable or upset.

I read it and thought, "well that makes it sound simple, doesn't it?"

ETA:
Found it:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=krogers+bathroom+gender&view=de...

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2016-04-06 1:21 PM
2016-04-06 1:28 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

Did you happen to see the picture that Kroger's supermarket put up in one of their gender-neutral bathrooms? it was circulating on social media the other day. I thought it explained the value of not having separate male/female bathrooms in a way that made it seem both obvious and inclusive, as opposed to it being about protecting gender identity rights and other things that make people uncomfortable or upset. I read it and thought, "well that makes it sound simple, doesn't it?" ETA: Found it: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=krogers+bathroom+gender&vie...

I know plenty of retailer's that have unisex bathrooms but this bill (to my understanding) is talking about schools restrooms and locker rooms. It may encomplass more, but I know that is a huge issue I am hearing about.

2016-04-06 1:50 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

For the record, I fully support unisex bathrooms and locker rooms.  However, I don't think my wanting to hang out in the ladies locker room is the reason they're pushing for it...  

2016-04-06 2:40 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Originally posted by tuwood

For the record, I fully support unisex bathrooms and locker rooms.  However, I don't think my wanting to hang out in the ladies locker room is the reason they're pushing for it...  

Some of the European Ironman races have a shared changing room. My transition times would be horrible. 

2016-04-06 4:07 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

I'd never heard of official state books or guns either.  In Texas we have official state everything - large mammal, small mammal, flying mammal, food, native pepper, non-native pepper, grass, plant, flower, tree, fruit, cactus, reptile, saltwater fish, freshwater fish, sea shell, butterfly, bird, ship, fossil, gemstone, gemstone cut, hat, footwear, song, motto, pledge.  And those are just the things I remember off of the top of my head.

When the legislature is back in session come January, I'm sure official state book will be one of the first bills filed.  Luckily our legislature only meets every two years.

2016-04-06 4:11 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I had to look up Nebraska because I had no idea.  Our state fossil is better than your state fossil.  :-P 

http://nebraskaccess.ne.gov/statesymbols.asp

State Bird - Western Meadowlark 
(Sturnella neglecta)

western meadowlark

Copyright NEBRASKAland Magazine

State Flag

state flag

picture courtesy of Unicameral Information Office

State Flower - Goldenrod 
(Soldiago gigantea)

goldenrod

State Gem - Blue Chalcedoney

blue chalcedoney

State Grass - Little Bluestem 
(Andropogon scoparius)

Little Bluestem

State Seal

state seal

State Tree - Cottonwood 
(Populus deltoides marsh)

cottonwood

State Fossil - Mammoth

mammoth

State Rock - Prairie Agate

Prairie Agate

State Mammal - Whitetail Deer

whitetail dear

State Insect - Honeybee 
(Apis mellifica) 

honeybee

State Fish - Channel Catfish 
(Ictalurus punctatus) 

Channel Catfish

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Tennessee is officially out of problems...I guess. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Love this Guy! I am voting for him!

Started by jford2309
Views: 540 Posts: 2

2016-02-18 4:33 PM ChineseDemocracy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
comments : 0
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout