General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IT Band Issues Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-04-07 5:53 PM

Subject: IT Band Issues
Hey all, so I have my first race coming up next weekend (sprint) and unfortunately I have been battling IT band issues in both knees for a couple months now, so I have not been able to run and bike as much as I would like. Been seeing a sports chiro to help with the issues and they are slowly getting better. My plan is to just grit it out, but was wondering if any of you have dealt with IT band issues going into races and during training and if you have done anything in particular to help alleviate the systems, particularly on race day. Right now I am stretching and foam rolling every night and doing some of the PT exercises I was given (banded monster walks and glute bridges).

I'll be honest I was a bit shocked this came up because I have never had this problem and it started at the end of January when I went out for a run. Got to about 2.5 miles and my left knee was just killing. Was getting treatment for that and then about three weeks ago I did a brick and during the run my left knee was feeling tight as it had been, but then around a mile my right knee just killed (although it eventually subsided). Now its primarily my right knee that has been bad. Really not enjoying this hahaha.

2016-04-07 8:22 PM
in reply to: cdoug55

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: IT Band Issues

You MUST do the exercises to build up your weak glutes.  Foam rolling, ice, manipulation, massage, etc. helps with the pain.....but the ONLY way to get rid of this problem is to do the exercises.  There is no quick fix.

2016-04-08 6:26 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by Left Brain

You MUST do the exercises to build up your weak glutes.  Foam rolling, ice, manipulation, massage, etc. helps with the pain.....but the ONLY way to get rid of this problem is to do the exercises.  There is no quick fix.

I can't agree with this more. I used to have ITBS problems but doing the appropriate ST program resolved it for me and it never returned.
2016-04-10 9:54 AM
in reply to: kloofyroland

User image

Go find the "IT rehab exercises" on youtube from Jason Fitzgerald, he is also has his own website, strengthrunning.com. I had serious issues flare up with my IT band in my fall marathon, reduced me to walking for almost the final ten miles. I have been doing those exercises and just ran a marathon yesterday without a single twinge from my knees.

The results are pretty quick. If I remember correctly it was less than two weeks before I started to see real improvement. There's nothing magical about Jason's exercises, they are the same ones you can find in a lot of places on the web. If you find any videos like that that involve pretty ladies instead of scrawny runner in short shorts please be sure to share
2016-04-12 12:03 PM
in reply to: Mtnwesttri

Thanks for the info. I looked it up and I have been doing some of those exercises, but I will just start doing all 7 as described. I will certainly let you know if I find any better videos hahahaha.
2016-09-22 2:53 PM

User image

New user

Ive had ITBand issues for years and foam rolling and PT does nothing. Like they said before you must do strengthening exercises to make a difference. I paid the price of just running through the pain and ending up having to take off 6 months from any running and still couldnt walk more than 100yards before the pain started in both legs. I ended up getting Z lengthening surgery on both knees last December. Im now up to 25 miles per week. Lots of stretching and Leg and glutes work has made the difference. Below are the two videos I used to stretch and work on strengthening my legs and hips. I also believe shoes are very important also. But it really comes down to strong hips and glutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x30rjVT-TLo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KwgKQMisGQ

2016-09-25 10:15 AM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England

I find foam rollering to be really effective as it is difficult to properly stretch the IB band with stretches alone. But, you need to use a roller that has lots of nobbles on to really work the IT band, not one of those smooth rollers.  They just don't go deep enough.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IT Band Issues Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Question about Race Day IT Band Issues

Started by mtnbrooke7
Views: 1955 Posts: 4

2014-06-29 10:58 PM trijamie

IT BAND issues 12 weeks til first half marathon HELP

Started by jschristian44
Views: 1502 Posts: 6

2013-01-06 11:54 AM jschristian44

IT band issue

Started by Maks Tri
Views: 1453 Posts: 5

2010-09-30 11:45 AM ballyard7

IT band issues from biking

Started by natebs
Views: 1998 Posts: 5

2010-07-26 11:37 AM ZealousVitality

IT Band issues

Started by bcball
Views: 850 Posts: 3

2007-10-19 9:13 PM LaurenSU02
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 19, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 5
I have this very annoying IT band pain in my left knee only. It comes and goes out of nowhere. Last year I had it and took three months off and now slowly started back up.

date : May 29, 2012
comments : 0
I have a tight IT band on my left leg, but my right knee's pain is in a slightly different area, more in the joint, on the outside of the knee. Is this still an IT band issue?
date : September 16, 2010
comments : 1
Everytime I up my run mileage I get injured. As I train I seem to inevitably get pulled calves, IT band syndrome then achilles issues. What can I do?

date : July 15, 2008
comments : 2
So lately when I run after about 3 miles I get a nasty pain on the outside of my knee area. I have been assuming it is IT band syndrome? What can I do to help this?
date : June 16, 2008
What are all these new funny-shaped saddles all about? Are they more comfortable than older designs? Will they keep me healthier so I can train on my bike longer? Should I change my saddle?

date : October 3, 2007
The symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, recovery and prevention of iliotibial band syndrome caused by excessive friction of the distal portion of the iliotibial band during activities like running.
date : January 16, 2007
I suspect your nutrition and training program may have more to do with your symptoms than your Clydesdale classification.

date : March 5, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion on tapering, treadmill workout, long run issues, insituting run/walk, surrounded by hills and knowing your LT.