Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Lost in thought... The long run. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2016-04-11 9:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Subject: Lost in thought... The long run.

Out on those long runs, I know I like many others have my mind start to wander to some strange places.  I thought it could be a fun thread to post some of those internal discussions we have all had with ourselves.  I know I have thought of some life changing questions out on those runs!  I had a 20 miler on Saturday and made me thing of starting this thread.

- I shave every day, and I am one of those people who get a 5 o'clock shadow (just a bit of stubble, nothing to much).  I am wondering, during ultramarathons does facial hair grow at the same rate?

- Why is one of the most common pieces of litter on the side of the road I see are those little dental picks?

- Is there anything better then peanut butter?  I was thinking of the movie zombie land and the guy with the Twinkies.  In the end of the world scenario I would do some terrible terrible things for a jar of peanut butter.

- That six pack of paper tape was one of my best investments, it was a cold run. 

- Instead of using salt tabs (I don't) why don't people just lick themselves?  Or am I the only one that just gets that salty?

I have a good story about that last one.  A few summers ago I went for a 157 mile bike ride.  I got back to my house and kind of stumbled onto my front lawn and laid there.  My then roommate at the time had a 6 month old puppy.  I was completely covered in salt, my shorts looked white.  She came up to me and started licking at all of it, and I was so exhausted I couldn't even move.

I then went out to a local festival called Corn on the Curb and proceeded to eat and drink way to much.  Oh your 20's.

2016-04-11 11:08 AM
in reply to: Justin86

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Subject: RE: Lost in thought... The long run.
I'm guilty of skimming the majority of your post, then came to the end thinking your roommate licked you at the end of a long run. Clearly I need a pick me up!
2016-04-11 11:31 AM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Firstly: Yes peanut butter is the best thing in the world. Secondly: Yes I've licked myself while running and thought the same thing.

Someone asked me once what I think about on my long training runs and I said "well I guess I visualize myself running in my next race and what it will be like" to which she said "So while you're running, you're just thinking about running... somewhere else....?"

I guess she had a point. We're nuts.

2016-04-11 11:40 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I think about what title I will give my run on Strava

2016-04-11 12:02 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I think about donuts. Caramel covered donuts fresh out of the oven.

2016-04-11 8:22 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by rrrunner

^^^^ This, although I usually end up with whatever is last on my playlist.

Except, my current long run is about 3 miles, so I guess I don't qualify for this thread 

2016-04-11 10:17 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

(oreos.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
oreos.jpg (822KB - 4 downloads)
2016-04-12 2:37 AM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yep, totally nuts. I basically have one running loop here (everything is just variations of it; other than just doing loops of our school sports fields, there's just nowhere else that's traffic-free enough to run) so I do a lot of day-dreaming. My favorite game is to think of the best place in the world to do the present workout. I've run in a lot of places, so I have a lot to choose from. Lately it's been in the 90's even early morning, so I'm visualizing a lot of cool trails in Oregon.

Plus things like wondering if all the people taking wedding photos in our neighborhood (no idea why, but everyone in Saigon seems to do it on my street or a nearby bridge) are actually getting married and, if so, what will happen to the birthrate. Today, I went for a 40-minute run at 5:40 AM on a Tuesday, not a holiday (we just have spring break) and must have come upon four couples getting their wedding photos taken. On a 2-hour weekend run it will be well into the double digits. Crazy.

And reading "decorative English" on T-shirts and the like. Today's gem was, "Dreamy you make me excite." My personal favorite, a bumper sticker that promised, "Child on car."
2016-04-12 10:24 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Originally posted by cdban66

^^^^ This, although I usually end up with whatever is last on my playlist.

Except, my current long run is about 3 miles, so I guess I don't qualify for this thread 

It's all a matter of perspective, everyone is welcome here

2016-04-12 1:23 PM

User image

I used to have "deep thoughts by Jack Handy" during long runs and swims.  Lately on long runs I've been trying to just stay awake.  Not kidding, I almost feel asleep during a long easy run the other day.  Then I started daring myself to see if I could fall asleep and keep running.  Fortunately I didn't fall for it and try. 

I see those disgusting tooth picks a lot and can't figure it our either!

2016-04-13 10:19 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I am constantly doing math in my head.  Every time a split comes up on my watch I start thinking - well if I keep this pace then I will get to x.x distance by the time I finish (my run will be to run a certain amount of time).  Then I start calculating that when I get to a particular intersection will I head from home from there or continue on and go another way to get the right distance.  Basically my goal is to arrive back at my house as close to the time as possible without having to run past because I HATE doing that.

Oh and I'd pick a good crunchy almond butter over peanut butter any day! 

My dogs lick the salt off me all the time.  

2016-04-13 3:44 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Today I used an Eagles tune that I may just work my way through. Hopefully I have it finished by the middle of next month!

(Strava.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Strava.jpg (10KB - 3 downloads)
2016-04-14 2:11 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
When I am really bored or having a hard time, I imagine I am winning Kona, as Chrissy Wellington, Mirinda Carfare, or even an alternate version of myself. (Yes, it is wacky. But I do always wonder what I could have done if I'd taken up tri at a younger age.) I do the commentary (like the NBC Kona show) in my head. Not that I probably ever would actually do Kona, or maybe even want to do a full IM. But it makes the miles pass, and the heat in Vietnam makes the scenario feel more realistic.
2016-04-14 8:13 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
I started making "scribing" films at my last job. You know, the ones where there is a voice over various drawings on a white board. I'm an engineer, but have always had more interest in art, and a bit of flare for presentation. Also, I was never the brightest engineer, so I have to simplify everything down to its absolute basics for me to understand it. This then has the side effect that I can then explain it to just about anyone, regardless of complexity...because heck, if I can get it, you most certainly can. Anyway, I started making these films during IM training and did most of the writing in my head during long rides, and produced some really solid videos. When the IM was done, I had a lot of trouble putting them together to the point where higher ups at my company were pushing me to do another IM.
2016-04-14 9:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

I usually am analyzing my run as I go, but as I get closer to the end of the run my math skills deteriorate big time. 

Around mile 13 "Ok. I'm running at 8:00/mile, and there's 3 miles to go.  How much longer is that?....uh....screw it...just keep running".  

2016-04-14 11:28 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Hot Runner When I am really bored or having a hard time, I imagine I am winning Kona, as Chrissy Wellington, Mirinda Carfare, or even an alternate version of myself. (Yes, it is wacky. But I do always wonder what I could have done if I'd taken up tri at a younger age.) I do the commentary (like the NBC Kona show) in my head. Not that I probably ever would actually do Kona, or maybe even want to do a full IM. But it makes the miles pass, and the heat in Vietnam makes the scenario feel more realistic.

Ditto! Can't tell you how many times I've been doing intervals and in my head I'm headed into the olympic stadium for the final lap. I'm neck and neck with someone but pull ahead just in time for the win.

2016-04-15 9:17 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Originally posted by axteraa

I am constantly doing math in my head.  Every time a split comes up on my watch I start thinking - well if I keep this pace then I will get to x.x distance by the time I finish (my run will be to run a certain amount of time).  Then I start calculating that when I get to a particular intersection will I head from home from there or continue on and go another way to get the right distance.  Basically my goal is to arrive back at my house as close to the time as possible without having to run past because I HATE doing that.

They make crunchy almond butter?!?  I didn't know.  I have to try that!

I've done the math in my head too, I am a data junkie, both at work and outside of work. 

It's amazing how hard math can be at mile 24 during a marathon.  I've taken three semesters of calculus and I can hardly add towards the end.

2016-04-15 11:41 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by msteiner

I usually am analyzing my run as I go, but as I get closer to the end of the run my math skills deteriorate big time. 

Around mile 13 "Ok. I'm running at 8:00/mile, and there's 3 miles to go.  How much longer is that?....uh....screw it...just keep running".  

I'm glad I'm not the only one!  Not that I'm a math wiz, but I'm usually pretty decent with numbers until I start running, then very basic computations concerning time and/or mileage become quite difficult.  The good side of this is I spend waaaay more time than necessary calculating results, doubting my solution, then recalculating it (rinse, repeat) which tends to make the miles slip by before I know it!

When I'm not struggling with computations, I like pondering whatever weirdness pops into my head or simply taking in the sights/sounds around me.

2016-04-17 8:31 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Elite
the desert

I was thinking about this thread while doing my long run! Then my thoughts meandered to things that I just don't make sense to me, like radio edit songs. If a song is that 'edgy' then don't play it on your station. Who are they kidding? We all know and sing the right words anyway. Rant over

2016-04-18 1:40 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Veteran
Calgary
Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by msteiner

I'm glad I'm not the only one!  Not that I'm a math wiz, but I'm usually pretty decent with numbers until I start running, then very basic computations concerning time and/or mileage become quite difficult.  The good side of this is I spend waaaay more time than necessary calculating results, doubting my solution, then recalculating it (rinse, repeat) which tends to make the miles slip by before I know it!

When I'm not struggling with computations, I like pondering whatever weirdness pops into my head or simply taking in the sights/sounds around me.

I often start a run telling myself that I will take it easy and I won't worry about pace. Then about halfway through I abandon this idea and my start to go faster because with a little bit more effort I can make up some time and end up with an average pace of 5:00 min / km.

I should be more rigorous in my pacing and training plans but at least using metric distances and aiming for 5 min per km makes for easy math. Every 100 metres takes 1/2 minute.

Don
2016-04-18 9:47 PM
in reply to: 0

Sarasota, Florida
This is funny. I have a technical job so usually use my workouts as a session to let my mind go and math is last on its journey but I still do a mental mark on the halfway and final. when I run I don't think a lot, just suffer, but I went on a long bike ride today and it went something like this:

** meditation focusing on breathing and listening to my body, **
I might need to bring my seat up a little,
** meditation **
yep sweat in the eyes still stings,
** meditation **
man this headwind is brutal
** long hard meditation with some prayer **,
whoa I'm flying in this tailwind!
I hate potholes! I nearly killed myself! Why don't they fix that thing!
why are all the cars coming out of the most exclusive neighborhood I know big pickup trucks covered in mud? I expected something opulent
this is probably why I'm not rich I should probably put my energy into something more constructive
I hate that random Florida sulfur smell
wow it's hard to hold your breath while exercising and sweat in the eyes still stings
I wish I rubber banded a straw to this water bottle, I should do that
** meditation **
this is weird I don't feel hungry but was hungry when I left
ahh, already over? Now I have to go back to work...
nope, I'm way too hungry, I must devour this entire chicken!

Edited by runtim23 2016-04-18 9:47 PM

2016-04-28 2:32 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by axteraa

This is totally me.  I cannot run without my Garmin to give me data points to project for the rest of my run.  Though this mental game started when I first started running 35 years ago.  I usually ran the same routes and had my "waypoints" all memorized and tried to hit them at goal pace for the workout.  I loved to run on the track and dial in my internal clock.    

2016-04-28 6:55 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Ugh--I am the exact opposite. I have a Garmin but run with it maybe a few times a year (if I want to measure a new route, maybe) and hate every minute of it. I just cannot enjoy a run with that thing. Finally told my coach I was just going to keep running without tech because it was making me hate running. I love my bike gadgets, and am always playing mental games with how long it will take me to finish a swim workout (total swim time; it's never constant for a given distance because I rarely repeat workouts), but there's just something about numbers and running that doesn't click for me. I think it may be mental--I know how fast I used to be able to run, no numbers I ever do running-wise are going to impress me (I always look at the pace and think, "That sucks!"), and it won't get any better as I get older. I don't have this issue training by RPE or heart rate, so that's what I do. A tempo run is a tempo run, no matter how old or slow one gets.
2016-05-04 12:14 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

So for part of my ultra I started to mentally sing 99 Bottles of Beer. I got bored of that song after about 30 bottles

2016-05-05 10:51 PM

User image

Master

I was thinking about this on my long run on Tuesday.  #longrunthoughts

Is it ironic that some of our nicest greenspaces are under power lines?

Oooh pretty flowers

Look a flock of seagulls.  Oh, man, that hair was fun.

Do other people think crazy stuff on their runs?

How many more minutes of this?  If i keep running this pace, I will be done in XX minutes

Sunrise!

My high school sure looks different now.  I should go in and laugh at my 80's hair.

I wonder what my dogs are doing right now.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Lost in thought... The long run. Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

I thought I was losing my mind

Started by jldicarlo
Views: 1166 Posts: 12

2011-05-15 8:02 PM the bear

I think I just lost my scooter mojo...

Started by cthoops
Views: 668 Posts: 8

2009-09-02 9:33 AM Pector55

I think I lost me wedding ring. Pages: 1 2

Started by graceful_dave
Views: 2008 Posts: 30

2009-05-12 8:39 PM Spanner

"Long" lost brother

Started by Kupe du Monde
Views: 551 Posts: 7

2007-03-15 10:20 PM surfwallace

What do you think of on long runs? Pages: 1 2

Started by runningwoof
Views: 2569 Posts: 50

2006-12-05 10:00 PM Det
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2014
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Why it’s so hard for us to talk about losing at a simple game? Sports are supposed to be about building positive character, supposed to be about fairness, equality, and striving for excellence.

date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
comments : 4
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?
date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.

date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation
date : September 3, 2006
author : AMSSM
Near the end of one of my long runs, I noticed my left hip aching. There was a slight pop with each step. The hip was sore for 2 days after the run.

date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 2
My main concern is obviously the running but my priority is weight loss. I really need any advice on how to get ready.
date : March 5, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion on tapering, treadmill workout, long run issues, insituting run/walk, surrounded by hills and knowing your LT.

date : October 2, 2005
author : acbadger
I recognize that my 45 minute jog Wednesday night does not really count as a ”long” run, but for me it was! Yesterday I felt fine…but man, today the legs are SORE.