BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 98

2016-04-25 2:43 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux
Originally posted by jmkizer

Super far behind and trying to catch up

Adrienne - I’m glad that you recovered enough to run the Earth Day 5k (need to read the race report yet)

Mary - I’m glad that the vision therapy has started and I hope that you are noticing improvement

Ben - Riding outdid AND doing pull ups!  That’s a huge improvement!

Karen - I hope the Singapore Sprint was awesome and not the cluster that you feared.  It does sound like it was (perhaps) a decent tune up race for you leading into Vietnam.

TJ - Congrats on the new addition to the stable.  Does newbie have name yet?

Markus and Sean - That’s a whole lotta water.  Stay safe!

Jen - Good news on the reno.  I’m sure that you’ll be glad to have Darren back in town.  I hope the 10k went well!

Sean and Monica - I’m glad WTC finally posted a bike route for IMTX!

David - Good work in the Cycling Everyday Project!

Chris - Thanks for posting the racers list for me!  BT was down when I was at the computer to do it.  Loved the skydiving pics!

Laura - That’s pretty cool about the random resume call :-D  Sorry about your mom’s eye woes.  My dad has them as well.  Sucks.  Glad that he shoulder is improving at least.

Yanti - I hope that you are feeling more yourself as you read this.  We need to get you well!  Take care!

Connor - Belated Happy Birthday to you!  I’ve added you to the birthday list (anyone else who wants to be added, PM me) so now you need to stick around for another year! ;-)

Thanks for the recap - and Janyne I hope YOU had a great time in Boston!!

Mel - I feel your pain (literally). If you come to CT you can try my new Dash strike 9 if it might help So far **knockonwood** so good - although I have yet to take it outside.

2016-04-25 2:56 PM
in reply to: CRFTX2001

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by CRFTX2001 It's finally the weekend! I've been really busy with school projects and tests and homework all week. But it was all worth it because.....Today is my 15th birthday! To celebrate, I rode my bike for three hours . Here's the race report: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... Tonight I'm going to dinner with my family then coming home and opening gifts. Also, I applied to my first job yesterday! I want to work at a local bike shop that I go to for all of my cycling needs. I'm assuming they hire minors because one option on the application sheet section for education was a high school student. I'm hoping all goes well, but I won't be surprised if I'm turned down.

I did mean to say 'Happy Birthday!' earlier. I hope you had a great day! 

And best of luck on the job front. It's really good to get yourself out there. I think someone else said it but you'll never get it if you don't try. :D 

2016-04-25 2:56 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

While at the LBS this weekend I picked up what I thought would be a bag of coffee (packaged similarly). It was actually Infinit Mud. So. Good. Tried it this morning after my run. I meant to try it before to see how it would go with GI but forgot. It has coffee and chocolate. Does a nutrition supplement get any better than that?!

2016-04-25 2:59 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

So, like, I ran a 10k yesterday. And it went WAY better than I expected. I think I said on here that i thought i might be able to work my butt off and get 55 mins. Well, yesterday I felt really good and conditions were with us and I managed to come in at 50:26 ... so, my best for this race (not exactly the same course) was last year at 50:04 - and i have some nagging doubts because my garmin measured the course pretty short at 9.7 but i am going to accept it and that the course was certified and that is actually what I did! :D 

Even better is that I caught up to my DH and my official time is 4 seconds slower than him. He didn't realize I was behind him until our friend who did the 5k cheered for us and i said 'I'm right behind you' - he sped up a bit - i didn't, i've nearly barfed on this course a couple of times because the finish is just slightly uphill. 

Anyway, i am pretty pleased with this result. Maybe a little consistency and i could do even better

2016-04-25 3:00 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by rrrunner

While at the LBS this weekend I picked up what I thought would be a bag of coffee (packaged similarly). It was actually Infinit Mud. So. Good. Tried it this morning after my run. I meant to try it before to see how it would go with GI but forgot. It has coffee and chocolate. Does a nutrition supplement get any better than that?!

I read that and was looking at it online - so it is good?  

2016-04-25 3:04 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by juniperjen

Originally posted by rrrunner

I read that and was looking at it online - so it is good?  

If you like mocha coffee drinks you'll like it. When used as directed, one scoop for 8 oz milk, it's not a thick drink. About the consistency of a latte.

2016-04-25 3:06 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

So, like, I ran a 10k yesterday. And it went WAY better than I expected. I think I said on here that i thought i might be able to work my butt off and get 55 mins. Well, yesterday I felt really good and conditions were with us and I managed to come in at 50:26 ... so, my best for this race (not exactly the same course) was last year at 50:04 - and i have some nagging doubts because my garmin measured the course pretty short at 9.7 but i am going to accept it and that the course was certified and that is actually what I did! :D 

Even better is that I caught up to my DH and my official time is 4 seconds slower than him. He didn't realize I was behind him until our friend who did the 5k cheered for us and i said 'I'm right behind you' - he sped up a bit - i didn't, i've nearly barfed on this course a couple of times because the finish is just slightly uphill. 

Anyway, i am pretty pleased with this result. Maybe a little consistency and i could do even better

Great job for a) not puking b) getting a course PR and c) catching your DH. Sounds like a great day.

2016-04-25 3:29 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Whooop whoooop!!  Nice job!

2016-04-25 4:05 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Woo hoo!  You killed it! 

2016-04-25 5:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Great job Jen!
2016-04-25 5:54 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Seattle

A teammate won his AG at Nationals at a spry 60 years old running a 36:24. From what I hear it wasn't exactly a pancake flat scorcher of a course either. Love seeing people running and competing like this! 

2016-04-25 9:34 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Jet Black

Originally posted by tomsimper

I am struggling to get my HR up on the bike and wanted to know if this is due to the way I am riding as had no issue on the turbo trainer? I go in a gear where I can feel enough resistance when peddling but cadence isn't probably that high but can certainly feel it in my legs. Should I be looking at dropping a few gears so I can spin the pedals quicker to make it more efficient. Also what is the best way to get quicker on the bike, a friend who rides a lot says head for the hills, which is ok as I have plenty near me or as I am new to riding is it better to just get miles in the legs?

This is most likely rule #5 at play here, but also your bike fitness probably just isn't there. Heading for the hills is a good idea because you can't make them easy.

Building up heart rate and fitness on the bike are closely related. It takes longer to build up strength on the bike than it does for running. I wouldn't sweat it, stay consistent and it will come. I use Maffetone method for heart rate and it took me over a year to build up the bike strength to hold my heart rate at my maximum aerobic function.
2016-04-26 2:08 AM

User image

Nice one and well done!
2016-04-26 2:10 AM

User image

thank you for the responses and it looks like I will be hitting the hills to try and get better fitness on the bike. Have a great day everybody!
2016-04-26 3:22 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Ok Manatees Im in a quandary.

So I have been having trouble with my feet in the model of Brooks shoes that I have been using for a while. I went to the shoe store a couple of weeks ago and got new shoes (Asics). I would say my feet are 95% happier than they were in the Brooks but it has only been 2 weeks (and about 40km).

So today I got an email from a sports store that I am a member of saying that they have a 20% off sale on Asics foot ware. So now what to do? 20% off will save me $50 (shoes are expensive here). But...
1. I'm not sure that I am ready to totally commit to these shoes, or if there still might be something better for me out there; and
2. I set a new pair of shoes as a reward for getting to a certain town on my "run to Esperance" and this town is still 100km away. Based on my plan I will not get there for another 3-4 weeks.

But seeing as I cant run in my Brooks at all anymore I am down to one pair of running shoes and it is fairly wet here now so if my shoes get wet then I don't have a second pair to use while they dry out.

I know total first world unimportant problems hey. What would you do?

Oh and the on sale shoes are a much cooler colour than the ones I have and I could give them to K to hold onto until I have "earned" them.

Edited by StaceyK 2016-04-26 3:47 AM

(asics.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
asics.JPG (23KB - 3 downloads)
2016-04-26 6:44 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK Ok Manatees Im in a quandary. So I have been having trouble with my feet in the model of Brooks shoes that I have been using for a while. I went to the shoe store a couple of weeks ago and got new shoes (Asics). I would say my feet are 95% happier than they were in the Brooks but it has only been 2 weeks (and about 40km). So today I got an email from a sports store that I am a member of saying that they have a 20% off sale on Asics foot ware. So now what to do? 20% off will save me $50 (shoes are expensive here). But... 1. I'm not sure that I am ready to totally commit to these shoes, or if there still might be something better for me out there; and 2. I set a new pair of shoes as a reward for getting to a certain town on my "run to Esperance" and this town is still 100km away. Based on my plan I will not get there for another 3-4 weeks. But seeing as I cant run in my Brooks at all anymore I am down to one pair of running shoes and it is fairly wet here now so if my shoes get wet then I don't have a second pair to use while they dry out. I know total first world unimportant problems hey. What would you do? Oh and the on sale shoes are a much cooler colour than the ones I have and I could give them to K to hold onto until I have "earned" them.

Get one pair.  Give to K.  She will hold until you finish your target event.

2016-04-26 6:49 AM
in reply to: CRFTX2001

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by CRFTX2001 It's finally the weekend! I've been really busy with school projects and tests and homework all week. But it was all worth it because.....Today is my 15th birthday! To celebrate, I rode my bike for three hours . Here's the race report: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... Tonight I'm going to dinner with my family then coming home and opening gifts. Also, I applied to my first job yesterday! I want to work at a local bike shop that I go to for all of my cycling needs. I'm assuming they hire minors because one option on the application sheet section for education was a high school student. I'm hoping all goes well, but I won't be surprised if I'm turned down.

Happy Birthday Connor, although I am a bit behind. Sorry for that.

I did a "try out" in a bike store for 3 days a looong time back.  If they balk at you working there, maybe you would be willing to offer up a couple of days of working for nothing, just so they can see your desire and ability. If at the end it doesn't work out, than at least you know you tried everything you could. Of course, in today's legal/work environment, this may not be an option.  

Worst/first job was summer camp counselor. The only good part was a pool lifeguard certification through the Red Cross. Take your pick of the cons: whiney kids, whiney parents, sun burn, heat exhaustion, etc. 

I have had a number of full days, with no end in sight. Today will include 3 hours worth of department meeting with management. They provide lunch. What they won't provide is pillows.  Today will be a unique sort of endurance challenge. 

Good to see things moving forward for many of us, and I'll simply say that Janyne said it all best and I agree with her wholeheartedly!

2016-04-26 6:52 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK Ok Manatees Im in a quandary. So I have been having trouble with my feet in the model of Brooks shoes that I have been using for a while. I went to the shoe store a couple of weeks ago and got new shoes (Asics). I would say my feet are 95% happier than they were in the Brooks but it has only been 2 weeks (and about 40km). So today I got an email from a sports store that I am a member of saying that they have a 20% off sale on Asics foot ware. So now what to do? 20% off will save me $50 (shoes are expensive here). But... 1. I'm not sure that I am ready to totally commit to these shoes, or if there still might be something better for me out there; and 2. I set a new pair of shoes as a reward for getting to a certain town on my "run to Esperance" and this town is still 100km away. Based on my plan I will not get there for another 3-4 weeks. But seeing as I cant run in my Brooks at all anymore I am down to one pair of running shoes and it is fairly wet here now so if my shoes get wet then I don't have a second pair to use while they dry out. I know total first world unimportant problems hey. What would you do? Oh and the on sale shoes are a much cooler colour than the ones I have and I could give them to K to hold onto until I have "earned" them.

Agreed. 

2016-04-26 7:48 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Adrienne,

Not sure if you are familiar with Singapore but if not, recommending a couple of running destinations. (I do much of my racing there and it's also my favorite shopping and sanity weekend escape!). If it's not an event or the event is at Sentosa, I usually stay in a hotel at Robertson Quay, near Ft. Canning.

*East Coast Park-A multi-use trail, sometimes separate trails/lanes for runners and bikes, goes all the way from Changi Village near the airport to Gardens by the Bay downtown. I recommend the stretch from East Coast Park toward Gardens by the Bay--it was about an 80-85 minute round trip for me at a leisurely pace--maybe 9-ish miles.

*Botanical Gardens is also very nice for running. Easily reachable by bus or taxi, maybe on foot, if you are staying on/near Orchard Road.

*Ft. Canning Park is small but nice for shorter runs. There's also an interesting circuit with log lifts and other upper-body stations. Close to Clarke Quay and Central MRT stations and the CBD.

Run early (or late, but darkness falls quickly in the tropics). It gets really, really hot!

And food--I think you can hardly go wrong in that city. Although there are some baffling local specialties, like "ice cream sandwiches" made with ice cream, and bread. Can't vouch for those! My personal favorites are seafood laksa and iced tea tarik. Sometimes I just order random stuff that sounds funny, like "Roti Papa Jon" and "Milo Dinosaur", just to see what will come. BTW: Food's cheap, beer's not. You are warned.

On other subjects:

Sabotage--It happens here. In the one adventure race I did in Vietnam, locals took out most of the cones used to mark the course. Total chaos with everyone going in different directions. A course official actually gave my teammate and I the wrong directions, causing us to run an extra three miles and lose the race. I have never done that particular event again--it was a big deal for me as unlike most teams, due to an injured partner, I was doing ALL the running for a 25 km partner race (most teams traded off run and bike) and in triple-digit heat, when you have to carry all your own fluids, 3 extra miles is a BIG deal. One reason I prefer to race in Singapore--you can say many things about the place, but people are very law-abiding!

Jobs--I think I had a paper route when I was a kid, but my first "real" job (in high school) was cleaning cabins and occasionally lodge rooms at a state park. It was hot, very physical work (no AC in the cabins, people really trashed them--mud and sand everywhere, beer bottles, etc.) and our boss inspected everything, literally, with white gloves. If you didn't meet standards, your pay was docked. Plus I was training in the morning before work. The worst was having to move the fridge to clean behind it. I was smaller in HS than now--maybe 5'5' or 5'6" and about 110 pounds--and I had to run at the fridge and tackle it like a football player to move it far enough to clean it! The only good part of the job was that you were allowed to eat/drink anything left in the fridge, at your own risk. Someone once left a nearly full box of ice cream sandwiches, which was a welcome treat.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-04-26 7:55 AM
2016-04-26 8:54 AM
in reply to: #5176537

User image

Master
Happy belated birthday Connor. And good luck on the job.
Great job to all the racers this past weekend.
Stacey I think getting the shoes and having K hold them is a great idea.
Adrienne, I CAN vouch for ice cream in bread and it is da bomb. In fact, I currently have a loaf of the the bread used for said delicacy in my freezer. My buddy went home to Singapore last year and it was the best he could do to bring back for me. Something about the ice cream melting or some other excuse.
The thing that amazed me about the place was the fact that they eat ALL the time. Like every hour of the day and night. You go to what I call the outdoor food court at 11pm and it is packed full of people. Too hot to eat earlier I guess. I loved the outdoor markets--stall upon stall of fruits, veggies and every typ of seafood you can imagine. And some you can't.

Hope you are all having a great week!
2016-04-26 9:10 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Originally posted by amd723

Agreed. 

Jumping in on the jobs thread, in high school I sold running shoes for New Balance then switched to another store that carried all brands. As much joy as my friends took in calling me Al Bundy, I learnt a lot about shoes and how important they are based on an individuals foot. We used to watch customers walk, run, squat, etc to make sure they were in the right last for their foot. My $0.02, I would find out what the store's return policy is and if you have the option of getting your $ back if you don't wear them, I'd get them. Asic's makes a great shoe and they've been around for a long time but you should know if it's the right shoe for you or not after 50km. I ran in Asics for years before switching to Hoka's about a year ago.

Completely unrelated but I finally got around to taking a picture of my new bike and figure I'd share!

(Bike 2.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Bike 2.JPG (38KB - 3 downloads)

2016-04-26 9:57 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Justin - that's a hawt bike!  I have the same pouch you have on the top tube and I love mine.

Chris - I am not envious of your plans this week!  Good luck staying awake and enjoy that free lunch!

Janyne - I'm lovin' the new avatar!

Oh yeah, my first semi-real job (other than babysitting or answering phones) was working during the summer at a fishing dock where charter boats went out of in DE. I had an assortment of jobs: working in the store selling food/souvies/tackle, cleaning/hauling fishing rods that the customers had rented, cleaning fish, and sometimes I helped the mates scrub the boats at the end of the day.  It was a great job, truly, and I made pretty sick money for a kid, all under the table.  Tips were good.  They let me go out on the head boat (unchartered trip, whoever pays can go) for free to fish.  Fish were plentiful, so we made big $$ cleaning them.

One of my favorite moments was one day after I had already been working there most of the summer the owners decided to ask me how old I was. The looks on their faces when I said "12" was priceless!  I was always tall for my age and was tall early.  I worked there during the summers until I was 15.  I miss those carefree days, although I suppose I don't miss smelling like fish.

Edited by melbo55 2016-04-26 10:05 AM
2016-04-26 9:59 AM
in reply to: tomsimper

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by tomsimper

Nice one and well done!

Thank you everyone. I did confirm with my hubby that he also got 9.7km for the route. So it was short but my pacing was still better than 55 mins. I call it a win no matter what. :D 

2016-04-26 10:18 AM

User image

Katy, Texas

Awesome!! Way to go!!
2016-04-26 10:24 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Katy, Texas
So, as if I wasn't starting to freak out enough about IMTX, now I just found out that I have to travel for work next week. And this isn't your usual travel, I've got to take a helicopter to a big construction vessel in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico. Most of these boats have gyms nowadays, but I've never been on this one so not sure. I'm hoping there's at least a treadmill. So yeah, I'm freaking out. Ugh.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  

of 98

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 21, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 3
The running aspect of an Ironman triathlon is a marathon. Most people take on a marathon as a single event and the training for this uses up a lot of their time. Here are some tips for the run.

date : December 9, 2013
author : Tre_bor
comments : 7
So you want to become an Ironman?! Are you sure...? It's not a light undertaking. I will attempt to help you make it through without making too many rookie mistakes.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.