United States
24F / -4C
Precipitation
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 1119/2426
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 106/455
Pre-race routine:

Traveled to Pottsville Friday night with Cuda and LT, my usual partners in crime for this event. Cuda and I have done the race ever since it began, this being our 4th running of it.

We went straight to packet pick-up, then directly to Vito's, our traditional restaurant stop! They have coal fire stone hearth pizzas which are excellent, plus their other food is good, too. After a yummy meal of pizzas and a peach strawberry sangria, we headed to our little cheapo hotel spot for the night.

Cuda was VERY concerned about the weather - there were reports for 3-5 inches of snow, temps in the 20s, windy with gusts over 30 mph. Thankfully when we awoke race morning, it wasn't as windy as predicted and the snow was just starting. The cold was exactly as forecast.

Since we had done packet pick-up the night before, we just hung out in the car until around 8:20, then went down to hit the porta-johns, then returned to the car until 8:40 or so.

We get 2 stubs for free beer at the end, but I saw they were serving before the start of the race. I was momentarily tempted to 'pre-game', but didn't think that would work out so well and didn't.
Event warmup:

I chose not to do a run warm-up as I had chosen to just enjoy the day for what it was and not be all super-serious with my time. I did stretch, though, and do some dynamic stuff to warm my legs up and stay warm in general. It appeared the weather kept a fair amount of folks at home.
Run
  • 34m 38s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 56s  min/km
Comments:

For whatever reason I decided to not 'race' this race but just enjoy being out there and able to be running and having fun with friends. I intended to run the whole way, just not hard. I just recently started feeling better on runs after a period of not doing much running, so today was just celebrate being able and being alive.

The snow was falling very steadily but not accumulating on the roads, just making them wet. I kept a steady, albeit slowish pace all the first uphill mile, weaving in and out of walkers, sometimes in groups 4-5 wide. This is always a frustration, but with self-seeding it's what happens. Anyway, I (shockingly) turned down both alternative beverage stops in the first mile, the mimosa stand and the beer stand, both put on by residents getting in fun and festiveness of the day.

Throughout there seemed to be more neighborhood support than usual, which was fun. I saw a man and his 2 dogs up on a balcony, the dogs peering over the railing with their paws up. There were groups of people just standing around drinking, watching the crazies running in the snow and cold.

On the first steep uphill my right knee began protesting my running-like motion, so I ended up walking just a bit until I got to the top when I resumed running. This section was into the wind and the snow was really whipping into our faces. Cruised the next section until the next steep uphill, which I was able to 'run' (read: not walk). From there it is truly downhill, gradual at first, so I let myself go but stayed comfortable, pushing more than I had previously. I passed a lot of people here and also turned down yet another alternative beverage stop (more beer).

Once I got to the steep downhill, I slowed 'er down; I didn't want to go azz over tin cups on the wet road, especially in front of all the spectators! After successfully descending, I made the turn onto the street that is again a gradual downhill to the finish (same hill we went up at the start). Passed some more folks here, but didn't turn it up the whole way, just kept moving steadily fast.

Here comes the finish mats, don't trip, don't slip! OK, whew! Success! Found LT talking to someone she knew, then we both headed back up the hill to watch for Cuda, then ran her in to the finish.

Edited to add: I forgot to mention the interesting cast of characters I spotted this year. Every year there are many people in costume, and this year the weather didn't keep folks from dressing up. The creepiest was a guy who made a vest and cowboy hat from Yuengling beer cases, but that wasn't the creepy part. The creepy part was he found 'jeggings' (jean leggings), I think they are referred as, to use as pants. It was minorly disturbing.

Of course there were a few folks dressed up as beer bottles, a guy in ski goggles, a woman running with a sled-type object strapped to her back and she had ski clothing on. There were a few Vikings and also a guy dressed in a stars and stripes tank top and short shorts and a headband, which was a bit crazy considering the low temps!
What would you do differently?:

Push myself is the obvious answer, but as I stated that wasn't what I chose to do today.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some snacks and water from the finish area, then headed to the car to change as we were rapidly getting chilled. It felt ridiculous to be putting heavy winter jackets on and heavy sweats, but they sure felt good and kept us from getting wet in the snow as we stood around drinking our beer. Hey, the best part about the weather is we didn't need to worry about warm beer! Plus the lines were shorter so we didn't have to wait long, either.

I think the cap for this race is 3500, and there were only about 2500 finishers, kept away by the weather, I'd imagine. Of course the bad weather meant less people wanted to stick around and partake of the street party, too, which is bad for the vendors. The food trucks/stands seemed to be doing an OK business, but not as good as usual.

Checked out the gift shop, newly moved into the renovated creamery building across the street and used our 20% off coupons that were in our virtual goodie bag. Attempted to cash in two more beer tix some ladies had given us, but they wrapped up the beer gardens early since less folks were around to enjoy them.

Headed back to Vito's for some warm, yummy meals! Bonus: we met Vito and Cuda made a new friend, a guy who is attempting to run a marathon in every state east of the Mississippi.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I can't really say anything limited my ability except for my own decision not to 'race' the race. I know my abilities were below what I was at last year, so I chose to just enjoy the day. I was a touch over 4 minutes slower than last year, and that's OK. Next year is another year, and we'll be back, I hope!

Event comments:

This is always a very fun race and Yuengling makes a strong effort to draw in more vendors and entertainment for the post-race street party which is usually hopping, but this year dulled and cut short by the weather.

Last updated: 2015-11-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:34:38 | 05 kms | 06m 56s  min/km
Age Group: 0/455
Overall: 0/2426
Performance: Average
Course: First mile is a gradual uphill the entire mile. There is a slight downhill, then more slight uphill, then a steep uphill. Next part is semi-flat until the next steep uphill, then it's all downhill (gradual and steep) from there.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-04-11 4:07 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: Yuengling Light Lager Jogger 5K

2016-04-12 9:27 AM
in reply to: #5176610

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Yuengling Light Lager Jogger 5K

Well done!

Your decision to just have fun with the craptastic weather and celebrate being able to run is awesome!

2016-04-12 10:10 AM
in reply to: #5176610

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Way to go! Sounds like a really fun event, and the weather....phew, glad there were no spills.
2016-04-12 3:43 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Katy, Texas
I lol'd at "pre-game", you should have done it!! Nice run, and beer!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Yuengling Light Lager Jogger 5K Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Yuengling Oktoberfest 5K

Started by melbo55
Views: 1274 Posts: 6

2015-10-09 6:56 PM QueenZipp

Yuengling Light Lager Jogger 5K

Started by melbo55
Views: 1616 Posts: 10

2015-04-21 9:12 AM amd723

Yuengling Oktoberfest 5K

Started by melbo55
Views: 1631 Posts: 12

2014-10-30 1:02 PM rrrunner

Yuengling Lager Jogger 5K

Started by melbo55
Views: 1683 Posts: 6

2014-05-07 4:18 PM QueenZipp

Yuengling Light Lager Jogger 5K

Started by melbo55
Views: 1248 Posts: 6

2013-04-19 3:00 PM reecealan
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Incorporating strides to improving your cadence, be light on your feet and improve your run times.

date : February 4, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Marni will show you how to make your own delicious and nutritious wrap that is light on calories but high in protein and nutrients.
date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 0
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.

date : September 4, 2005
author : Michael
comments : 5
But just when I was beginning to think that life is consumed by only darkness, just out of my sight, there it was...A glimmer of light.
date : November 29, 2004
author : Akuma
comments : 3
A bike is NOT a piece of metal with a couple of wheels at either end and a steering thing to stop you running over old ladies. No! ... a bike is a space-age “weapon of mass confusion.”

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

comments : 2
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.