General Discussion Triathlon Talk » About using a spare wheel for the bike trainer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-04-11 10:22 PM

Subject: About using a spare wheel for the bike trainer
Hi all, I am new here but I found this to great community and I hope to learn a lot, and share what I learned with other members afterwards.

I have a kurt kinetic rm, and with my old bike I had a training rear wheel with a conti hometrainer and the same tiagra 10 spd 12-30 cassette I had on my road wheel, so whenever I wanted to ride indoor I would just change wheels. But wheels not being the same caused gears to jump, so I just kept using few gears on which the rear derailleur were aligned to the sprocket.

I assume using it like that would wear particular sprockets faster, and chain will wear out faster than both cassettes, but is there any other specific issue? How to work around this compatibility situation? My guess is that I should fine tune the barrel adjuster and maybe even the limiter, but quite demanding doing that every time.

Now I bought a nicer bike with a SRAM PC-1170, 11 spd 11-28. Can I still use the same 10 spd rear wheel from before? If so, how? Also adjusting the barrel and limiter every time I switch wheels?

Thanks a lot guys. I believe a bike trainer is a very powerful tool, and I am still wondering how to use it without wearing out my good wheel, cassette and tire

2016-04-12 7:49 AM
in reply to: filipe

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: About using a spare wheel for the bike trainer
If you're new bike is 11 speed, then no, you can't use your old 10 speed wheel (unless it's actually an 11 speed free hub with a spacer behind it to accommodate the 10 speed cassette). If the wheel has a replaceable free hub body, then you can change that to a Campy body and use an 11 speed Campy cassette. The spacing is near identical and you can ride it on a Shimano/SRAM 11 speed just fine.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » About using a spare wheel for the bike trainer Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

spare joe 2 bike rack - installation/use

Started by MarlaS
Views: 517 Posts: 1

2010-05-26 5:49 PM MarlaS

Hitch Bike Rack with Spare Tire?

Started by lvthgme
Views: 584 Posts: 3

2010-04-30 1:47 PM lvthgme

Spare Wheel for Trainer Use?

Started by Shaved_Wookie
Views: 716 Posts: 4

2006-08-23 9:29 AM Rocket Man

Looking for used Cyclops, or good fluid bike trainer

Started by gr8brindle
Views: 807 Posts: 11

2006-07-27 4:25 PM trigirl74

spare tire bike rack for rav4?

Started by lisazapato
Views: 1107 Posts: 4

2005-05-14 9:44 PM max
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Keeping your bike from being damaged on the trainer

date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.
date : October 27, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Hint: It's not a one-person job

date : August 7, 2009
author : Coach AJ
Looking to rent or try-before-you-buy race wheels for your next triathlon? Coach AJ checks out the service at RaceDay Wheels.
date : December 28, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 1
Tired of your bike trainer already? Here are two indoor bike trainer workouts that you can use to keep things interesting while keeping your cycling fitness up.

date : December 3, 2008
author : dexter
comments : 15
What are rollers? How can rollers help your bike training? Learn how to use your first set of rollers without doing too much bodily harm to yourself.
date : January 1, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
comments : 2
We will take a peek into the lowly saddlebag to see what needs to be in there in case of emergency. Much of this may be common sense, some might surprise you, and some are simply just my opinion.

date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.