General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cannondale Slice great offer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-04-14 6:24 PM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Subject: Cannondale Slice great offer
Though I have discussed tri bikes in other threads, wanted to ask experienced opinion here with the new 2016 model of the Slice. I got offered a deal on the 2016 Ultegra model at my LBS for $2400. I am sprint focused but do see Oly work and some periodic time trials down the road for myself. This tri bike purchase will be financed, it wasn't in the plans for 2016, but 2017 might be a tougher year to buy, especially since I am starting to crave tri/tt bike geometry and ride position vs. my clip ons on my Giant.

What do you think?

2016-04-15 7:40 AM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Cannondale Slice great offer
If it fits you, then it's a great bike. If it doesn't, it's a complete waste of money.
2016-04-15 7:57 AM

User image

Temperance, Michigan
I got the 2015 Slice 5 105 last year, not quite the Ultegra but has been a great bike. I am sprint focused also and I have no complaints so far. If it fits I say go for it!
2016-04-15 7:34 PM
in reply to: Bocrunning

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Subject: RE: Cannondale Slice offer (new question
The LBS originally did my roadie fit and I've been pleased ever since. The Slice and Shiv seem to be good fits for me, but the deal on the Slice is way better as they deal a lot with Cannondale. I am not thrilled with fussing with a hydration system and the shiv has brought up some minor issues.

I was discussing some other options with them as well. I currently race on my Giant with clip-ons and 55mm Giant Aero Wheelsystem. I was considering trying to persuade them to adding an 80mm deep rear clincher to my package so I can leave the 11 speed cassette on the 80 rear wheel and just swap the front 55mm wheel between my roadie and the Slice depending on my rides. Thoughts?

Also of consideration is my Powerbeam. I have a wheel with a 10 speed cassette to train on using my Giant road bike. Do you think I am going to end up preferring to get on the powerbeam with the Slice instead? Do you suggest that instead ? and Therefore I'd need another 11 speed cassette to put on that trainer wheel

Should I just not go broke and keep the 55mm wheelset on the Slice and use the Mavic Askiums (that come with the Slice) on my road bike and deal with the aero loss difference?

Hope you follow all this, trying to work on a sensible budget and worth investment. New speedplay pedals and Conti's obviously added to this bill.
2016-04-15 8:44 PM

User image

As already stated above and many times before, having the bike fit is important.  $2400 is a pretty sweet deal for that bike, but is it a single bike in a specific size they are trying to sell you?  Or is it 35% off any slice?  Or any ultegra slice in the size you choose?  I just want to make sure that you are not being persuaded into a specific bike/size because it's the only one that the deal applies to...then forcing your fit on it when maybe another size might be better...but the discount wouldn't apply.  The temptation of a good deal sometimes clouds our judgement a bit...so just make sure you're thinking all your options clearly.

I took a look at the comparison between the Ultegra and the 105 models.  There is not a lot of performance differences between the two, despite the 105 version MSRP for over $1000 less.  105 is still plenty good for racing so I don't think the jump in cost is worth it all else being equal.  So would your LBS give you a similar discount on the 105 version?  That kind of savings can open up a lot of options for other goodies that can make an impact to performance such as a power meter, well fitting suit, wheels, tires, etc. 

Ok...so assuming you can get a good fit, the "is it worth it" is still totally up to you.  You're likely to be faster on a TT bike compared to a roadie with clip ons, but hard to quantify without knowing the starting and ending aerodynamic profile.  I also don't know how much $2400 means to you.  Over a sprint distance...maybe a couple of minutes?  Or maybe 45 seconds?

For the rear wheel issue, I would just plan on buying a wheel cover for the existing rear wheel.  The Ultegra comes with Mavic Aksium wheels which should be capable...the 105 version comes with Shimano wheels which may not be compatible to a wheel cover.  I'm taking a good guess that there isn't a race you want to do where a disc cover wouldn't be ideal.

For the trainer, I guess it depends how much of your saddle time is on the trainer vs. outdoors.  Even during TT season for me, I do most of my riding on my road bike, then just do one TT specific ride on the TT bike once a week for a few weeks leading in.  That's good enough for me as far as getting comfortable.  So I wouldn't opt for a 11 speed trainer specific wheel just to ride the TT bike on the trainer and just leave the old Giant on there and let your sweat pour all over the old bike.    Now if you're the type that does 95% of their rides on the trainer, and only races and a handful of rides outdoors, you probably need to rethink that.

Whatever you do...don't sell the road bike!!!

2016-04-15 9:44 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Thanks for responding so quickly. The deal is on any size, they're honest there like that. They're obsessed with proper fit and I appreciate that. I have an Ultegra setup on my Giant (which no way would I be selling, I love that stiff n nimble thing), I was cautious about a drop down in the groupset to 105. I am excited about the benefits of the crank on the Slice Ultegra setup. You're referring to wheelbuilder for the disc cover set up? The trainer going to be a conundrum, because I am loving and reaping the benefits of power meter training. 2400$? I am getting divorced, I'm trying to squeeze a tri bike in before alimony kicks in

2016-04-15 10:48 PM

User image

I would say that the difference between 105 and Ultegra is mostly looks, a little bit of weight, a little bit of durability, and a tiny bit of performance.  For a TT bike, those differences matter even less as you typically aren't as demanding on your components as far as quick shifting, or shifting under load.  I would also say that the 5800 stuff has come a long way.  I had 5600 on my very first road bike and this new 5800 stuff blows it away.  I have it on my CX bike and it actually shifts better than the 6600 Ultegra on my TT bike and the 10 speed Force on my current road bike.  It is a bit bulky in the brifters...but on a TT bike you don't need to worry about that.

The Hollowgram crank is pretty sweet...but to be honest likely won't deliver any performance benefits.

Wheelbuilder is the most common source for covers, but there are other companies out there now.  Can't think of them off the top of my head, but sure you could fine some in a google search that have done good work.

2016-04-16 7:21 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Heading over to them in a few hrs. Going to see what they can put together in the way of Slice 105 with the Fizik saddle instead of what comes with the 105 edition; and a set of wheels; they have a deal going with some 60mm sets (Mavics I think). I could use them on training rides, but have to check and see if I can put a cover on that particular wheel for races. Or try to go with a 60/90 combo and call it a day if they offer the whole package at good price. I'd be thrilled if I could get all that for under $2700

*Still sticking with clincher right? No tubular for me?
*Should I go with the 60/60 deal ride with that and try to squeeze the power tap through instead?
*Stretching every dollar here

Edited by TJHammer 2016-04-16 7:26 AM
2016-04-16 7:58 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
60/60 would be very versatile combination and if you're not super comfortable with gluing your own tubular (and the 3 days it takes to do it right....), then stick with clinchers. I've actually switched back to tubulars on my bikes due to the road feel, just super pliable and feels like they grip forever. Long term, you may want to add a disc, so the 90 rear may not offer that much of an advantage...

Personal opinion, if you can stretch and get a bike with Ultegra over 105, I definitely would. It's nothing wrong with 105 per se, but you will notice the difference in shifting. Ultegra shifts just as well as Dura-Ace (although doesn't look as polished).
2016-04-16 8:02 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by audiojan

60/60 would be very versatile combination and if you're not super comfortable with gluing your own tubular (and the 3 days it takes to do it right....), then stick with clinchers. I've actually switched back to tubulars on my bikes due to the road feel, just super pliable and feels like they grip forever. Long term, you may want to add a disc, so the 90 rear may not offer that much of an advantage...

Personal opinion, if you can stretch and get a bike with Ultegra over 105, I definitely would. It's nothing wrong with 105 per se, but you will notice the difference in shifting. Ultegra shifts just as well as Dura-Ace (although doesn't look as polished).

That's the debate that seems split down the middle the new 105 vs. Ultegra. I've gotten in contact with a few people outside of here as well and have said it's such a minute difference in feel for a non road race bike. I've only ridden Ultegra, a mash up of parts on my first bike and the Ultegra on my current Giant. I mean, am I going to get out there on my first ride on the Slice 105 and be SI$%^$^ I miss Ultegra already? (honest question lol)
2016-04-16 8:06 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Well, first of all, I only ride Campy on all my bikes, but I do wrench bikes for lots of friends and Ultegra is nicer than 105... and it rides nicer as well (I do ride the bikes that I can reasonably fit on to test everything out, so this is first hand experience).

2016-04-16 8:08 AM

User image

Brooklyn, New York

Well, first of all, I only ride Campy on all my bikes, but I do wrench bikes for lots of friends and Ultegra is nicer than 105... and it rides nicer as well (I do ride the bikes that I can reasonably fit on to test everything out, so this is first hand experience).

Maybe I plead with them to do the Ultegra with 60's and throw in the speedplay pedals and extra set of conti's I'll need for $3500. That'll freaking hurt the wallet, but if there's confidence this setup will satisfy racing forward in tougher races and trying on some tt's then I'll pull the trigger

If sense prevails (in that I don't have 3500) how torturous would it be to keep swapping cassettes on my 55mm wheels between the Giant and the Slice?

Edited by TJHammer 2016-04-16 8:26 AM
2016-04-16 9:12 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
As long as the Giant has an 11 speed hub, with a chain whip and a cassette tool, it takes less than 5 minutes to change cassette...
2016-04-16 10:01 AM

User image

Brooklyn, New York

As long as the Giant has an 11 speed hub, with a chain whip and a cassette tool, it takes less than 5 minutes to change cassette...

Excellent, the Giant P-SLR1 wheelset is 10/11 Shimano/SRAM. So I'll have to just swipe cassettes when needed. 5-10 minutes here and there to save me over a grand in extra wheels for the time being is good. It also didn't seem necessary to have two sets of wheels of virtually indifferent size 55--->60mm just to "have" 2 sets of wheels. I'll order up the Ultegra Slice and do as was mentioned with Jason: Run the P-SLR1 on training rides and races, and consider a disc cover for the Mavic Askiums that come with the Ultegra Slice model.

Thanks a million guys!

Edited by TJHammer 2016-04-16 10:03 AM
2016-04-16 10:36 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Just remember the rule, pictures or it didn't happen! :-)
2016-04-30 8:35 AM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Subject: RE: Cannondale Slice (UPDATE!)
Well, 75 miles on the Slice and my take: The bike is really light and actually handles road vibrations and minor bumps very well. The handling is secure and on the moderate hill descents I hit about 33mph and it wasn't twitchy at all. In fact, I'd be comfortable going even faster and steeper on decline. As far as climbing some rollers with it. It climbed no differently than my road bike, granted it wasn't heavy climbing, but out of the saddle felt just fine.

My fit time took a good hour plus as he really set aside time to dial me in. I'm in a very stretched and aggressive position and I LOVE the position forward and my quads and hips feel loose and free to put power into the pedals. I pr'd all my segments at 80% or sub 80% effort which is a great sign.
Pics don't do the bike much justice actually; I wasn't thrilled about the scheme but it's sexier in person and hums like a bird. Ultegra is CRISP and tight and I love the shifting smoothness!

ONLY CONCERN: (or not ......The Fizik saddle; granted I am NEW to the tt bike aero position and aggressive at that, but the snub nose and the subsequent "ridges" to the side of the center channel have a digging effect and after 40 miles I started to get awfully raw. I experience no numbness in the boys or my lower back or my hips or feet, so I like the position, I am just unsure at this point if the saddle has to change or I need to acclimate. I went back to my fitter and spent another 40 minutes playing around with the position only to decide it was best to leave my good position and lower the saddle 1/8" to possibly alleviate the "digging" I don't have time to get out and do long miles, so I will get on trainer this week.

Duathlon coming up on the 8th, so this saddle going to be used at least till then

Edited by TJHammer 2016-04-30 8:39 AM

(slice.jpg)

(slice n tim smaller.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
slice.jpg (3855KB - 11 downloads)
slice n tim smaller.jpg (185KB - 9 downloads)

2016-05-01 3:14 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
2016-05-12 3:34 PM
in reply to: #5177267

I'd like to bump this thread to get some more opinion on this bike.

I'm hoping to pull the trigger on a new ride in a month or two, and the slice 105 currently tops my wish list. The $1950 price is the main reason. The only other bike that seems to pack as much value into the 2k price point is the felt b14, but even that is 2200 so more than 2k. The slice meets all my needs and wants completely. It's aero but also light, I live in a hilly area so that's a plus...I like cannondale following the trend and spec'ing the bike with 165mm cranks for my size 54. ...the sub par saddle spec doesn't bug me I already have a specialized sitero saddle to replace stock since the 105 doesn't come with the fizik...the only thing that may need upgrading is the base bar or aero bars, I can live with that. Get myself an aerojacket and tell me it ain't a great low budget aero machine.

So, is this bike still treating you well? Any quirks or wrenching-related oddities that a prospective buyer might be interested in? Any other new model slice owners please chime in!
2016-12-12 10:09 PM

Any updates on how this bike is doing. Definitely considering this as my first full fledged tri bike for 2017.
Thanks for all the helpful posts.
2016-12-20 8:05 AM

Veteran
Indiana
Originally posted by Jason N

I would say that the difference between 105 and Ultegra is mostly looks, a little bit of weight, a little bit of durability, and a tiny bit of performance.  For a TT bike, those differences matter even less as you typically aren't as demanding on your components as far as quick shifting, or shifting under load.  I would also say that the 5800 stuff has come a long way.  I had 5600 on my very first road bike and this new 5800 stuff blows it away.  I have it on my CX bike and it actually shifts better than the 6600 Ultegra on my TT bike and the 10 speed Force on my current road bike.  It is a bit bulky in the brifters...but on a TT bike you don't need to worry about that.

The Hollowgram crank is pretty sweet...but to be honest likely won't deliver any performance benefits.

Wheelbuilder is the most common source for covers, but there are other companies out there now.  Can't think of them off the top of my head, but sure you could fine some in a google search that have done good work.

Totally agree.

I would never go into debt to finance the extremely marginal differences between 105 and Ultegra. Given the choice, I would rather have the $1k and get a power meter, really good trainer, race wheels, pay for entry fees, whatever.

Recently I had two of the same tri bike, one mostly 105 and the other mostly Ultegra.
I took all the Ultegra stuff off the bike I was keeping, and put it on the bike I was selling, because attracting buyers with "groupset bling" was more important to me than whatever barely-perceptible advantages of Ultegra over 105.

However, that is a freaking gorgeous bike and I can see how you fell in love with it ;-)
I am a believer that it's worth paying for gear that gets you excited.

Edited by alath 2016-12-20 8:07 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cannondale Slice great offer Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cannondale Slice HI MOD 5

Started by csharp1171
Views: 1555 Posts: 5

2009-04-01 7:15 AM csharp1171

Cannondale Slice 5

Started by trey800hj
Views: 996 Posts: 4

2008-10-29 6:23 AM Pashda

Anybody riding a Cannondale Slice?

Started by tasr
Views: 1080 Posts: 3

2008-08-07 9:04 AM tasr

2006 Cannondale Ironman Slice Aero

Started by GumballStyle
Views: 6340 Posts: 5

2008-03-25 12:50 PM run4yrlif

Cervelo P2SL or Cannondale Slice Ironman 4000?

Started by Plissken74
Views: 1400 Posts: 5

2007-11-07 10:23 PM bikingbruise
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 31, 2015
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Of all the major joints, the hip joint remains the most difficult to evaluate for most orthopedic and sports medicine clinicians.

date : October 21, 2014
Do you find your hip hurting after running or after running a long race? This article provides diagnosis and treatment for greater trochanteric pain syndrome.
date : June 12, 2012
comments : 2
Mark will reveal blow by blow what took him from six devastating setbacks in the Ironman World Championships in Kona to the first of his six World Championship victories on the Big Island.

date : July 23, 2009
All of my road rash has healed, but my right shoulder is still in a lot of pain. I have started swimming, but only really, really light workouts. Do you have any recommendations on stretches?
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : May 25, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
I'm not sure if one of these models is better, both are from 2009 aluminum/carbon combinations. I realize this is a difficult question but any thoughts as which bike is better for a woman?
date : October 4, 2006
author : trijesse
comments : 1
After years of waiting....its all about to change! This was my first triathlon and I have to say that the whole thing was amazing to me.

date : September 3, 2005
author : bflrich
You’re probably not going to get it just right immediately. Like always, just do the best you can and keep on keeping on. Don’t get upset if you don’t hit the target every time.