General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sodium/electrolytes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-04-17 10:54 AM

Subject: Sodium/electrolytes
Hi,

Bit of a newbie question, so apologies in advance!

I have high blood pressure which is well controlled by medication. I drink a lot of water every day, however, feel I may be "flushing" out too many electrolytes etc. I try to follow a low salt diet.

Any suggestions as to how to ensure I'm not losing too many electrolytes/minerals?

2016-04-17 2:14 PM
in reply to: Roscoemck

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Sodium/electrolytes

Originally posted by Roscoemck Hi, Bit of a newbie question, so apologies in advance! I have high blood pressure which is well controlled by medication. I drink a lot of water every day, however, feel I may be "flushing" out too many electrolytes etc. I try to follow a low salt diet. Any suggestions as to how to ensure I'm not losing too many electrolytes/minerals?

I wouldn't worry about it too much.  If you are worried, eat foods like bananas, pineapple, or other plant foods that are chock full of important salts like magnesium and manganese

2016-04-18 2:46 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

Subject: RE: Sodium/electrolytes
Thanks for the reply.

No problem there then considering how much fruit and veg I eat.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sodium/electrolytes Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Salt/Sodium/Electrolyte Tablets: Your Perspective Please. Pages: 1 2

Started by Tom Demerly.
Views: 4741 Posts: 36

2012-05-26 12:36 AM Hot Runner

Sodium Question.

Started by H13
Views: 750 Posts: 3

2006-04-11 11:53 PM skavoovie

Potassium vs. Sodium

Started by hangloose
Views: 1325 Posts: 15

2006-03-13 8:35 PM parrj

Sodium Intake

Started by maddog62
Views: 786 Posts: 4

2005-01-24 8:21 PM CindyK

Sodium and Training

Started by charlie
Views: 1016 Posts: 2

2004-06-03 2:22 PM iceit99
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 27, 2015
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
The benefits of beet juice, chocolate milk and caffeine in enhancing endurance activities. Are slow or fast carbs better? Also, what is the best way to stay strong?

date : May 21, 2010
comments : 1
If you are a fitness exerciser, you are unlikely to need extra electrolytes to replace those lost in sweat. If you exercise hard for more than four hours in the heat, replacment may be needed.
date : May 25, 2009
author : mrakes1
Do you consume too much salt in your diet? What are the ramifications for the endurance athlete?

date : May 6, 2009
While there is a time and a place for engineered sports foods, many athletes needlessly waste a lot of money misusing them. The purpose of this article is to help you become an informed consumer.
date : September 25, 2007
Are you a heavy sweater? Do you finish a race covered in white-streaks? Do you cramp during a race? Than this article is for you.

date : April 12, 2007
For athletes, the saying “Drink responsibly” holds true for all fluids. Don’t let dehydration—or overhydration—hurt your ability to enjoy exercise and perform at your best.
date : June 5, 2006
As hard as you try to avoid it, it calls for you each and every morning. You hate to do it, but for some uncontrollable reason, your feet find their way to the bathroom scale.

date : May 1, 2006
author : AMSSM
Exercise-related hyponatremia (low sodium in the blood) is a rare cause of death in endurance athletes. Symptoms include headache, nausea, vomiting, confusion, difficulty breathing and seizure.