General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Crank length Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-04-17 8:07 PM

Sarasota, Florida
Subject: Crank length
Bought my first road bike and have been on the same mountain bike for almost 10 years. I'm comfortable on the mtb and have a lot of the handling built into muscle memory. The immediate difference I noticed is crank length and muscle activation on the stroke. I don't have any specs on my cranks but the road bike must be shorter and I find it annoying. Even more annoying I scraped the pedals on the pavement because the clearance is worse than my mtb. I played with the seat but the cranks have to be different. I'm thinking about talking to the shop to lengthen them but just wanted to check on here to see if there is actually an advantage to having shorter cranks? I feel like I'm only using half my muscle now. Also, I don't have clips or clipless on either right now. I was fit for my mtb but I'm pretty sure the road bike is 2 sizes too big but still comfortable after dropping the seat and bars..

2016-04-18 7:21 AM
in reply to: runtim23

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: RE: Crank length
Originally posted by runtim23

Bought my first road bike and have been on the same mountain bike for almost 10 years. I'm comfortable on the mtb and have a lot of the handling built into muscle memory. The immediate difference I noticed is crank length and muscle activation on the stroke. I don't have any specs on my cranks but the road bike must be shorter and I find it annoying. Even more annoying I scraped the pedals on the pavement because the clearance is worse than my mtb. I played with the seat but the cranks have to be different. I'm thinking about talking to the shop to lengthen them but just wanted to check on here to see if there is actually an advantage to having shorter cranks? I feel like I'm only using half my muscle now. Also, I don't have clips or clipless on either right now. I was fit for my mtb but I'm pretty sure the road bike is 2 sizes too big but still comfortable after dropping the seat and bars..

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Here is a discussion on that subject from a couple weeks ago.

Yes there can be an advantage to shorter cranks, it's all about fit. I ride a MTB as well, most people riding a mountain bike like longer cranks on the MTB than on there road bike. I feel its an advantage when going over logs, and up steep rocky hills. You will get opinions all over the place on this.
2016-04-18 7:34 AM
in reply to: mike761

Master
Northern IL

Yeah, it's largely about fit. The road bike is going to be setup differently from the mountain bike and it's going to feel different too. Look into that to make sure you have it right. This can make a difference in how it feels. Also, the crank size for both is likely stamped into the cranks in small type down near the pedal connection. It's fairly small, easy to miss and is probably a number around 170-175mm. Could be on the inside or out.

2016-04-18 7:52 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Originally posted by runtim23  Even more annoying I scraped the pedals on the pavement because the clearance is worse than my mtb.

The cause is that you're pedaling through corners, not that the clearance is less (it is, but that's not the cause).

2016-04-18 8:00 AM
in reply to: briderdt

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by briderdt

Originally posted by runtim23  Even more annoying I scraped the pedals on the pavement because the clearance is worse than my mtb.

The cause is that you're pedaling through corners, not that the clearance is less (it is, but that's not the cause).

If the cranks are actually shorter then they would also help with this (slightly), not make it worse.

2016-04-18 4:41 PM

Sarasota, Florida
Thank you.
I'm surprised I missed that post and will review it.
I"ll probably do a few bricks before I make a decision.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Crank length Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Crank Length Differences?

Started by wstchstrTriathlete
Views: 3549 Posts: 12

2010-11-24 8:47 AM 1stTimeTri

proper crank length measurement

Started by funkyd04
Views: 1003 Posts: 13

2010-09-15 7:38 PM newbz

Crank length...how do you know?

Started by SpeedAgent
Views: 2065 Posts: 11

2010-07-29 9:07 PM kvn371

Crank Length and Knee Pain Advice Needed

Started by nickster
Views: 844 Posts: 4

2009-05-10 5:15 PM nickster

Crank length

Started by dodgersmom
Views: 1133 Posts: 11

2007-12-31 3:42 PM ADollar79
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 18, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 0
How important is it to decrease your stroke count?

date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
Is gear overlap from the big to small ring a consideration? Will the ratio increment of the compact setup be very beneficial to my riding?
date : May 30, 2008
author : FitWerx
Discussions on chain cleaning and degreasers, proper crank length, triathlon bike fit, lateral foot pain, foot numbness and tricep and shoulder pain.

date : January 16, 2008
comments : 4
This article outlines ways to increase your running cadence while also getting the benefits of reduced injury.
date : November 20, 2007
author : mrakes1
Depending on the length of your workout, there are several options to choose for a post-workout snack. Includes 3 smoothy recipes for workouts over 2-3 hours.

date : December 7, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 1
By becoming more aware of your pedal stroke, you can choose to manipulate where and how you activate your leg muscles as your foot traces the circular trajectory at the cranks.
date : October 30, 2005
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
The Quattro pedal is Crank Brothers’ formal offering for the road cycling set. The company has taken their simple but effective EggBeater design and added a low profile platform.

date : February 28, 2005
author : Don Magie
Whether your bike is new, new to you, or you have not been on the bike for a long time, you really should spend some time thinking about how your bike fits you.