General Discussion Triathlon Talk » racing 3 weekends in a row? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-04-18 11:14 PM

Subject: racing 3 weekends in a row?
Anyone here stack races one weekend after the other? Bad idea?

Background: wifey (fast) and I (not as fast) have a HIM mid August. Wife also has a sprint (400y/12mi/3mi)in a series that she wants to compete in as part of an overall points comp (5 races) in on July 31. There is also a race I want to do (because it usually has big surf on the swim) on the weekend between the two (500yds/18mi/3mi). That would mean back to back sprints on the weekends leading up to our HIM....

So, bad idea or no? I personally think it won't hurt us as we (and me particularily since my wife seems to get fast with no training) are training really hard for the half and I figure I can just treat the sprints as a really short high intensity workout, but figure I would bounce it off the community and see if it's a bad idea..

Thoughts? Yes? No?

2016-04-19 4:51 AM
in reply to: davejustdave

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: RE: racing 3 weekends in a row?
IF --- You could be counted on to take it easy on the sprints, I'd say you'd be OK.

IF -- You don't possess that kind of self-control, I'd say it's a bad idea.

I raced a sprint, last weekend. I did NOT take it easy. They take more out of me than I like to give them credit for (I'm 51). I have an OLY this coming weekend, and I'm hoping I feel better as the days lead up. I felt fine, Sunday. Yesterday, I was drained. I typically do 3X (more) the workout of a sprint, every Saturday. I do NOT do it at the intensity I exerted Saturday, though. If you can keep your intensity down, I'd say go for it. I don't have it in me to hold back (purposely go slower than I could for that distance) in a race, though.
2016-04-19 6:31 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by davejustdave

Anyone here stack races one weekend after the other? Bad idea?

The first thing that comes to mind is which race is your 'A' race?  I have an athlete I am working with that has a HIM on the schedule that we consider a 'C' race so there will be no taper and we will be training right through the race with little change in the training schedule.  In that case, having Sprints the two weekends before would likely pose no problem.

On the other hand, if the HIM is you or your wife's 'A' race, you will likely be beginning your taper the week after the first Sprint, so that first one wouldn't necessarily be a problem.  Competing in the middle Sprint however may be contrary to your goals for a successful 'A' race.  A taper is about allowing your body to shed residual fatigue, or stated another way, it is about your freshness.  It isn't about your fitness, you aren't trying to get faster two weeks out.  You are attempting to rest and recovery to maximize your race day performance.

General guidelines for a taper are:

• volume gradually reduces
  • intensity remains the same
  • frequency remains the same or may slightly increase

As you see, the general taper guidelines don't include a race half-way through the taper, nor do they include raising intensity to a race level.

The short answer to your question is, "Yes, you could do the middle Sprint."  However, remember it WILL have an impact on your HIM.  Only you can answer how important the Sprint is in relation maximal performance on race day for the HIM.

(Edited because I can't spell "it.")

Edited by k9car363 2016-04-19 6:35 AM
2016-04-19 6:37 AM
in reply to: davejustdave

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

I'd say that it all depends on you and how you react to and recover from those kinds of efforts.

Back at the height of my racing, I would often string week-to-week races, sometimes doing two in a single weekend. Mind you, this was all Oly and below distances, but it was just what we did. Kind of led into my bike racing days as well, hitting the start line 3-4 days a week... Anywho... If those kinds of efforts don't dig too far into your recovery well, and you aren't risking injury, I'd have no problem with it. Train up the distance for the HIM, and have fun with the sprints.

2016-04-19 9:27 PM
in reply to: briderdt

Racing is a great way to get faster, it forces you outside your comfort zone and makes you dig deeper than you would in training. So yes, I'll race multiple weeks in a row. That said, if a HIM is your main objective, does a sprint 3 weeks out put you in a better position? Maybe,. maybe not. I'd be more concerned about getting those final volume numbers in and would probably go into that race with fairly heavy legs.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » racing 3 weekends in a row? Rss Feed