General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Affordable Power Options Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-04-19 2:07 PM

User image

Subject: Affordable Power Options
Educate me on some affordable options to start training with power, please.

Background: I've done around 5 HIM and one IM all based on HR and perceived exertion. I do a decent of riding on the trainer. I would hope to stay in the $1,000-$1,200 range but could be talked into $1,500 if the cost/benefit was there. My wheelset is the stock wheels that came with my felt b16 with a disc cover.

There seem like there are so many options to choose from, just want to understand the pros/cons. Thanks in advance!!

2016-04-19 2:19 PM
in reply to: austiry

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Affordable Power Options

choices are mostly

- hub based, like the Powertap. Easy to use, accurate and reliable but not ideal if you have multiple wheels or plan to buy new wheels etc. I have a PT and really like it.

- crank based, like Quarq and Power2max. Easy to use, accurate, reliable but a little harder to move from bike to bike but takes less than a few minutes IF you have the same bottom bracket on different bikes. Reasonably priced. A stages is also crank based but single leg multiplied by 2. I personally would avoid. If you go the crank route consider if you want to move to compact/mid compact/shorter cranks at the same time. I have a Quarq and it's my goto PM.

- pedal based like Powertap pedals and Garmin Vectors. A bit more expensive. Some people claim the vectors are more finnicky. I have a pair and love them. Powertap pedals were really well received but I suspect you will now hear of growing pains. But I think they are very good devices. Very convenient to move from one bike to the other or travel.

$ wise the Power2max is probably a really good option right now.

Lots of other names out there like 4iiii but still have to prove themselves
2016-04-19 2:20 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

If I were buying today it would be a set of P1 pedals. If you time it right you can get in around $900 (backcountry coupon). i currently use a G3 hub on my training wheel that I cover for races. I also really like my PM and easy to switch between road and Tri bike, which is why I am sticking with it

Edited by ChrisM 2016-04-19 2:24 PM
2016-04-19 2:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ChrisM

If I were buying today it would be a set of garmin P1 pedals. If you time it right you can get in around $900 (backcountry coupon). i currently use a G3 hub on my training wheel that I cover for races.

that would be Powertap P1 pedals or Garmin Vector pedals but I think you meant the first.

FYI, there have been some occurences of P1s reading a little high amongst some of the pros over on ST. Most people rarely complain when their PM reads high :-)

Edited by marcag 2016-04-19 2:24 PM
2016-04-19 2:24 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by ChrisMIf I were buying today it would be a set of garmin P1 pedals. If you time it right you can get in around $900 (backcountry coupon). i currently use a G3 hub on my training wheel that I cover for races.
that would be Powertap P1 pedals or Garmin Vector pedals but I think you meant the first.
Duh, using a 920 head unit so was thinking of that, but yes Powertap
2016-04-19 6:15 PM

User image

With power meters growing in popularity, the used market is quite good now.  Used PT wheels (wireless) can probably be had for around $400.  Used Quarqs probably in the $500-700 range...cheaper if it's the older Cinco versions.

I started off with a powertap wheel when I first got into cycling and tris.  Used it all the time between my road bike and tri bike, with a disc cover for triathlon races.  As I got more involved in road racing though, I wanted a different rear wheel option while still having power, so I moved to a Quarq.  The powertap was completely hassle free and rock solid.  The Quarq (older cinco version) is pretty solid, but sometimes moisture or temperature swings mess with on rare occasions.  I think the newer stuff is much better at it though.

For most people, I would advise a used PT wheel with a disc cover for racing.  Cheap, reliable, easy to swap between bikes without having to worry about compatibility.  If you find out you want something else later, you probably still get most of your money back if you choose to sell it.  If you buy it used for $400...a year later it's still probably worth at least $300...and wouldn't be surprised if you get the full $400 back.  Used market for pedals is similar as you don't worry about compatibility issues.  With crank based, you have to sift through a bit more as you have variations in BCD size (standard or compact), bottom brackets, and crank arm lengths.

2016-04-19 6:22 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Katy, Texas
What about 4iiii? I haven't seen much on those.
2016-04-19 6:37 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by Jason N

With power meters growing in popularity, the used market is quite good now.  Used PT wheels (wireless) can probably be had for around $400.  Used Quarqs probably in the $500-700 range...cheaper if it's the older Cinco versions.

I started off with a powertap wheel when I first got into cycling and tris.  Used it all the time between my road bike and tri bike, with a disc cover for triathlon races.  As I got more involved in road racing though, I wanted a different rear wheel option while still having power, so I moved to a Quarq.  The powertap was completely hassle free and rock solid.  The Quarq (older cinco version) is pretty solid, but sometimes moisture or temperature swings mess with on rare occasions.  I think the newer stuff is much better at it though.

For most people, I would advise a used PT wheel with a disc cover for racing.  Cheap, reliable, easy to swap between bikes without having to worry about compatibility.  If you find out you want something else later, you probably still get most of your money back if you choose to sell it.  If you buy it used for $400...a year later it's still probably worth at least $300...and wouldn't be surprised if you get the full $400 back.  Used market for pedals is similar as you don't worry about compatibility issues.  With crank based, you have to sift through a bit more as you have variations in BCD size (standard or compact), bottom brackets, and crank arm lengths.

Indeed, I waited and waited and got my hands on a Powerbeam pro used in mint condition for $300!
2016-04-19 6:43 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Originally posted by 3mar

What about 4iiii? I haven't seen much on those.

I had 4iiii, but sold it because it wouldn't fit on my new frame. After that I bought a stages because it was slimmer and would fit on both of my frames. Overall I didn't notice a difference between the two power meters when riding and assuming they both fit I would go with the cheaper one. I also got my stages when it was a closeout though so the price difference wasn't much at all. Because I switch between two bikes often I chose to do stages so I could swap out my crank arms quickly and move on. I'm happy with my purchase overall. I do have power dropouts though, but I just got a new battery so hopefully it will fix it. I had that issue on both pm's and it seems to be quite common. I got my power meter for around $400 and I believe it was worth it. In the end I chose have a power meter (400) and a tacx vortex smart for enjoying zwift (300) for less than most people spend on just one of the items. For what I use them for I am very happy. That being said if you have the money to spend there are other options that are technically better.
2016-10-30 3:33 PM
in reply to: Lupy

User image

I will take some crap with my option. I have been an iBike user since training for 2007 IM Lake Placid. I have had several generations of their product, with legit results. I like the flexibility of using on both my road and tri bike. Currently I am using Garmin 920xt with their PowerPod. My numbers on Computrainer vs. PowerPod are right in line, as with the other iBike units I have owned. This gadget (PowerPod) is about $300 for their basic model, more with some of their wizardry (I have the PowerStroke option which "video's" pedaling stroke calculates wasted watts. Their software for analysis again serves the purpose as I realize I am never going to be a Pro and only want to continue to improve my cycling, I realize that there may be some variability in not using a DFPM, and for my budget and purposes PowerPod has been serving me very well.
2016-10-31 2:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I found a race wheel with a powertap hub, barely used, for 800 bucks, CANADIAN dollars, so even cheaper in USD.

Super happy with it, affordable, works.

2016-10-31 6:43 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Jason N

Just bought a used Powertap wheel (DT Swiss something or other) for $280 shipped on eBay.  I'm going to swap out the rim and spokes to a Flo 30 at some point and then get a disc cover. 

2016-10-31 8:08 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
For $1200, you're well above the cost of a brand new Power2Max crank for example... (starting at $650, but you'll get a Rotor 3D for $750 for example). A brand new Quarq starts at $780 (DZero Aluminum) with the DZero Carbon starting at $1100.

Used, expect to pay about $500-700 for Quarq. A used PowerTap rear wheel will be somewhere between $350 and 1000 depending on what wheel it's laced to.
2016-10-31 3:50 PM
in reply to: audiojan

I recently bought a stages PM brand new for like $370. They were blowing out some of their older models.
2016-11-01 1:00 PM

User image

With that kind of budget, there are few options that aren't open to you.

Powertap offers 3 "easy button" answers for you: C1 chain rings, P1 (or P1/S) pedals, or a pre-built wheel with a GS or G3 hub. You can be all in for anywhere between $600-$1200. All 3 options have "ease of install/uninstall" going for them, so you can take them with you to your next bike with a minimum of hassle. The wheel, and, to a lesser degree, the pedals, are portable enough that you could maybe share them between two bikes should you expand your stable to include a road bike.

That said, and assuming you see yourself keeping the Felt for a while, I'd really look at a crank-based system. With chain rings and installation, a Quarq Dzero Carbon probably comes close to your absolute budget cap, but it's a "two-for" upgrade. Not only are you getting a top-tier power meter, you're significantly upgrading your crankset to something that's (presumably) stiffer, and significantly lighter (366 grams, or over 8/10th of a pound) than the FSA Omega set that's the o.e. spec on a B16.

Edited by gary p 2016-11-01 1:02 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Affordable Power Options Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Power Options : Garmin Vector v. Power Tap

Started by swiss tri
Views: 2682 Posts: 17

2014-02-10 2:02 PM JohnnyKay

Power options

Started by louiskie
Views: 1423 Posts: 22

2011-03-05 12:42 AM YeaJackson

Buying a Power Meter....Options?

Started by 15step
Views: 2055 Posts: 18

2011-09-20 4:34 AM leftrunner

power tap wheel options Pages: 1 2

Started by trix
Views: 3357 Posts: 27

2010-05-07 10:30 PM trix

Power Tap wheel option

Started by KathyG
Views: 2280 Posts: 7

2009-05-21 7:53 AM lrobb
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 19, 2009
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
Learn how a power meter can serve a role as a race-reconnaissance tool and to help in pacing so you don't go out too hard. Race power analysis included.

date : March 4, 2009
In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : January 20, 2009
In this second part, we discuss indoor, outdoor and ramp functional threshold tests to determine your power training zones. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : December 3, 2008
What is power training? In this first part, learn the terms and definitions associated with power training. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : October 21, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.

date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.
date : March 17, 2008
author : CPT
In this third segment, Colorado Premier Training goes through several bike position tests to improve on rider efficiency. This was accomplished by varying the saddle height and aerobar width.

date : December 3, 2007
author : CPT
comments : 5
Colorado Premier Training goes over the basics of what bike power training is and how it relates to your optimal bike position.