General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » BMI and weight loss Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-04-19 10:57 PM

Subject: BMI and weight loss
I need some advice about my weight loss plan. I am, 42 yo, 6'4" and weighed 235 lbs before I decided to change my diet. I completely quit alcohol and stopped eating carbs, sugar, etc. I only eat protein, fat, and good carbs like broccoli, asparagus, spinach, etc. Total carb count is under 20g/day. My exercise is: yard work, walking, and tennis. Its been 3 weeks and weight loss is slow. Only lost 4 lbs, but my scale says my BMI has gone from 31.5 to 24.1. I have done low carb before and the weight loss was fast, not the BMI. If the scale is accurate, that's a 20+ % BMI drop in just a few weeks. I can tell something drastic is happening, but usually the weight drops fast with Adkins/Low Carb. I do feel tired often, but that goes away. My goal is to weigh 185-190. The last time I did NO CARB I went from 215 lbs to 178 lbs before and never felt better in my life. Never tired, always hungry, slept less, ate less and less, better concentration, etc. My work made this diet difficult to follow due to always being away from home. I plan to stay with this until I reach my goal of 190-min. Any thoughts?

2016-04-20 6:48 AM
in reply to: StephenJay

User image

Subject: RE: BMI and weight loss
If you are looking to have energy for exercising as well, you need a healthy balance of carbs as well. I would recommend using My Fitness Pal, changing your macros to something like 40/30/30 (protein, carb, fat) and see how you feel. Ensure you are getting good fats as well though. If you can't read/pronounce all of the ingredients, don't put it in your body.

Lastly, are you hydrating enough? You should be drinking a minimum of a gallon of water a day (this can be broken down more specific as well, but that is a good rule of thumb).
2016-04-20 9:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Katy, Texas
You don't need to restrict your body like that to lose weight. Those gimmick diets are not healthy at all. If you want to lose weight the right way and not feel like poo while doing it, just cut out all processed foods (all calories are not created equal). Stick to whole foods (as in non-processed, not the grocery store chain) and limit your protein portions that have high fat content (red meats). Don't eat anything fried or breaded. Eat a ton of fruit. Eat a ton of veggies. Grilled chicken and fish. Don't eat anything enriched (white bread or white rice). In other words; keep everything you eat as close to its original state as possible. Watch your overall calorie intake, but concern yourself more with the type of calories you eat. For example; a banana has about 100 calories, and so does a packaged snack like a Crisp. The difference is the Crisp is processed, i.e. it has been ground up, mixed up, etc, which in essence has partially digested it for you. So your body can get more energy (which it will store as fat if not used) out of the 100 calorie Crisp than the 100 calorie banana, which it will have to work harder to get the glucose out of. Same thing with bread. A slice of white bread and wheat bread are about the same calories, but the white bread has been stripped down to basically be just sugar, whereas the wheat bread still has all the fiber and other nutrients. The calories from the white bread are much more readily available for your body, and your body will store them as fat if not used immediately.

If you want to lose weight, do it with a sustainable lifestyle change as opposed to a gimmicky diet that you can't live off of, that way it will be permanent.

Also, I believe you are referring to body fat, not BMI. BMI is a measure of your height vs weight. Body fat is the percentage of you body weight that is from fat.

PS...welcome to BT, this site is a great resource.

Edited by 3mar 2016-04-20 9:34 AM
2016-04-20 9:37 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Originally posted by 3mar
If you want to lose weight, do it with a sustainable lifestyle change as opposed to a gimmicky diet that you can't live off of, that way it will be permanent.

YES! YES! YES!
2016-04-21 8:37 AM
in reply to: RockTractor

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

First, I think you mean body fat percentage.  BMI is a calculation based on height and weight, so it simply cannot change that quickly when your weight doesn't go down very much.

If you're using a scale that "measures" body fat, it's probably heavily based on your hydration.  If you're on a low carb diet, that will skew the numbers entirely.  I would guess you are dehydrated.   In general, that number on the scale is to be taken with a grain of salt.   There are many more reliable methods for calculation body fat.

Keep on working on a maintainable healthy lifestyle (although I'd personally recommend more carbs..) and things will balance out. 

2016-04-21 12:10 PM
in reply to: StephenJay

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Kind of curious why a tennis player would join a triathlon site to ask for weight loss advice...

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » BMI and weight loss Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

100+ weight loss and life style change personal challenge

Started by Jeremywarren
Views: 844 Posts: 5

2012-10-14 10:05 PM jon-m

Weight Loss in Cycling

Started by aawillisccc
Views: 750 Posts: 3

2009-02-24 4:24 PM cooutdoors

Weight loss----> First Triathlon

Started by BBQer84
Views: 1122 Posts: 9

2008-09-07 8:57 PM kimmitri408

Just Wanted to Introduce Myself (cross-posted in weight loss forum)

Started by DBear
Views: 562 Posts: 4

2007-04-09 2:48 PM DBear

Body Fat & Weight Loss

Started by Dr. Larry
Views: 642 Posts: 5

2005-10-06 1:33 PM Dr. Larry
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 16, 2015
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Fuel sensibly and avoid undermining your fitness for weight loss

date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.
date : May 22, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 0
Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.

date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.
date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?

date : November 28, 2004
author : sekhmet
I challenge all BT readers who want to shed the pounds to stay committed to their training during the colder months. Share this commitment with others.
date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 2
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.

date : September 4, 2004
comments : 0
Thoughts on low carbohydrate diets in conjuntion with triathlon training.