General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Swimmer: Can't swim a 50 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-04-20 12:13 PM

Subject: New Swimmer: Can't swim a 50
This is a note I would've written to myself about a year ago. If you find yourself in the same situation as the post title, please read on....

You've registered for several events (sprint-tri, swim & run) to keep yourself accountable and to set a timeline and goal. This is good. However, as you hit the pool you realize you really don't know how to swim freestyle. You have recently completed a Spartan race, participate in MMA classes, but cannot swim a 50 without gasping for air. You are comfortable in the water, having participated in waters sports most of your life so beginning adult swim classes about overcoming fear aren't a help. You leave the pool irritated that others who are in poorer physical condition are swimming laps effortlessly.

What is going on? What are the next steps? Is there one thing to focus on?

What is going on?
You have no technique. Most likely you are swimming at a near 45 degree angle dragging your legs and feet. This is why you are exhausted. It's like swimming against a river current. You are also probably lifting your head to breathe rather than rotating your head/torso.

What are the next steps?
Get a coach or sign up for a class on tri swimming. I would recommend going to several classes with different coaches. After the classes, practice the techniques they teach and think critically as well about what they say. I don't mean to second-guess their methods as they are more experienced and probably have more natural ability, but everyone has their own style. Example: one coach taught minimal torso rotation to get a breath while another had us turning completely on our sides. Also, one focused a lot on breathing technique while the other almost brushed it off as something you would just do (what??). I've taken points from each.

Is there one thing to focus on?
If you are just trying to get proficient, yes. Focus on keeping your eyes pointed toward the bottom of the pool. It will keep your body in-line at the surface and remove the drag/exhaustion your legs are causing. When you need a breath, rotate your head to the side. I have found this to be the single most important thing. Practice this by holding onto the side of the pool and breathing out through your nose, then rotating your head and torso to inhale through your mouth.
The next thing would be to extend fully out in front of you when you take a stroke. You've probably heard someone say "get long".

I kept asking myself "Is there one thing I can do to just be proficient?", and that was the answer.

There is a lot of good information on this site to help us progress further.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

I also look at the "SwimLabs" and "GoSwim" channels on YouTube for help.

Cheers.

2016-04-21 1:29 PM
in reply to: atx7953

Subject: RE: New Swimmer: Can't swim a 50
Good post. Thanks.
I was that guy a year ago. I'm still that guy at 200 yards. For me, the most important thing is breathing correctly, which of course is connected to everything you said. What I have learned (not to overstate the obvious) is that swimming takes a lot of time and patience. I'm a loner when it comes to any kind of training. Just the way I am. But, after a year of reading and watching videos, I'm finally going to sign up with a coach and take the plunge. (a pun!) My goal at 57 is simple, I just want to be able to swim a half mile in a triathlon in a way that does not cook me for the rest of the race. I can already do this in a wetsuit, but not close without, aka the need for a coach.
2016-04-21 6:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Burchib

Good post. Thanks.

I was that guy a year ago. I'm still that guy at 200 yards. For me, the most important thing is breathing correctly, which of course is connected to everything you said. What I have learned (not to overstate the obvious) is that swimming takes a lot of time and patience. I'm a loner when it comes to any kind of training. Just the way I am. But, after a year of reading and watching videos, I'm finally going to sign up with a coach and take the plunge. (a pun!) My goal at 57 is simple, I just want to be able to swim a half mile in a triathlon in a way that does not cook me for the rest of the race. I can already do this in a wetsuit, but not close without, aka the need for a coach.

Hey Barry,

Glad to see you are back!

You may or may not be breathing properly; but that likely isn't the problem or at least not the root of the problem.  Here is what often happens.  A "struggling" swimmer gets in the water, they have excessive drag because they have poor position in the water, in addition to balance in the water they have multiple technique flaws.  As they swim, they aren't very smooth and tend to thrash about, attempting to beat the water into submission through sheer force.  Using that method they are quickly anaerobic with their heart rate rapidly climbing into high zone 5.  On top of that, the very act of swimming, even for an elite swimmer, reduces available oxygen significantly over what is available on the bike or while running, because you can't breathe in underwater.

You're "cooked" for the rest of the race following the swim because you came out of the water anaerobic.  There is a saying, "You can't win a triathlon in the water . . . but you can lose it there."  Unless or until you are a proficient swimmer, becoming anaerobic in the water is a sure fire way to sabotage your race day.

The "fix" is improving stroke technique, including breathing technique, and staying aerobic.  Eyes on deck with a coach/instructor is the best method.  It will be the best couple hundred dollars you have spent on your triathlon journey.

Edited by k9car363 2016-04-21 6:56 PM
2016-04-21 10:33 PM

User image

Good topic, and many good points! I totally agree that body position is the number 1 thing to concentrate on, and a relatively easy way to fix it (mostly at least) is looking down at the bottom of the pool. And +1 to spending the money on swimming lessons when starting out being the best investment a new triathlete can make. I think it's still up there with the best investments even for relatively experienced triathletes with a decent swim technique, but who don't come from a swimming background. 

I'll add one more thing to think about that I find to be one of the more important ones - core activation and body tautness. What I mean by this is that you don't want to generate propulsion just by using your shoulder muscles, which happens easily for beginners. You also don't want your lower body to just be dragged along behind you, especially not snaking from side to side. Both of these issues can be solved by activating your core. Power for propulsion is then generated all the way from the hips through the stroke, and your body will stay nice and taut, which for beginners is probably the most important of these two things, since that has a major influence on your body position and reduces drag, making it easier to swim.

2016-04-27 7:41 AM
in reply to: #5178190

May have glanced over this if it was said...do you mix in different stroke types? For instance, if you're able to mix in breaststroke, it's good in that it let's you breathe easier and works some different muscles. In races I use it as a safety stroke to take a break and do some extra sighting since you can look around. My first 2 sprint races I did all breastsroke! And by no means am I talking a breastsroke that Michael Phelps would do. Just something where you can move forward a bit but keep your head up for sake of comfort and breathing, and do the frog-type kick gently. It's not fast, but it's comfortable. There's no rule in tri that says you must swim freestyle.

Over the course of 6 years I've taught myself to be a pretty good freestyle swimmer, but that's how I started - 25 breast, 25 free, etc etc. I could not swim 50m straight freestyle starting out.

I see others do backstroke or a modified side stroke as a break from freestyle as well. Just a thought - a safety stroke! If you continue to work and practice the form and feel will come along, but doing other strokes helps build confidence and general comfort in the water.
2016-04-27 1:28 PM
in reply to: PBT_2009

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
I'll let others give swimming advice, but wanted to let you know this forum and triathlon in general is littered with people who started where you are and have done well.

I was an adult non-swimmer, who couldn't swim at all. My first sprint tri swim was 400m, and I finished 201 out of 202 in a time of 16:04 using the strokethathasnoname. Finished Ironman Steelhead and Ironman Racine the past two years.

Ask questions, put in the time, you'll get there.

2016-04-28 11:32 AM
in reply to: Swimbikeron

User image

Extreme Veteran
very easy answer to swiming 50 yards. Swim SLOWER keep going slower and slower til you make the 50 yards. I know it makes no sense but I have gone through this with many people and this always works. Slow and comftable. Funny thing is as you slow yourself down you will go faster again makes
2016-04-28 11:45 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Anyone else think it's a bit peculiar that someone joins BT,. offers virtually no personal information about themselves, writes a long philosophical  post about how you should turn your head to breathe while swimming,  and then never logs in again?  

Mark

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Swimmer: Can't swim a 50 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Started by tridantri
Views: 1653 Posts: 11

2015-07-23 7:46 PM thor67

Swim Times for New Swimmers

Started by tehbry
Views: 2421 Posts: 24

2009-07-02 10:15 AM stefanier

Inviting swimmers to have a free trial of our new product, Swim Lap Counter

Started by suling
Views: 1470 Posts: 2

2005-10-31 2:05 AM suling

I can't swim and I can't afford a new bike

Started by armchairtriathlete
Views: 1517 Posts: 15

2005-01-24 9:51 AM adventuress

swimming for an old(ish) swimmer but a new tri'er

Started by ginger ninja
Views: 764 Posts: 3

2004-04-20 1:35 AM Tri Swim Coach
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 8, 2015
author : jbaha14
comments : 0
Can you remove 'Can't' from your vocabulary? Learn how to remove obstacles to clear your way to your goals.

date : August 13, 2012
author : tesselate331
comments : 26
Doing triathlons will help you re-energize your optimism about life and feel 30 again. I promise!
date : July 18, 2012
author : Khorwohock
comments : 14
I have always wanted to do a triathlon to keep myself fit, and now I had my chance.

date : March 18, 2012
author : garyhallsr
What should a new swimmer focus on? This article will discuss swimming frequency, intervals, breathing and drills.
date : December 1, 2011
author : garyhallsr
Olympic swimmer advises not spending too much time on swim training in the winter, depending on your ability

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : December 27, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 5
Are you a new swimmer starting your triathlon training? Here are some top answers to member questions as you begin your triathlon swim training.

date : February 11, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
I am still pretty weak in the water and have a pair of Zoomers that I use for drills. What do you think of wearing fins to swim in the pool until I build up endurance?