General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training wheel etiquette Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-04-21 10:22 AM

Plano, TX
Subject: Training wheel etiquette
Considering getting some new carbon wheels for my tri bike....partly for the speed they'll add over my stock wheels, but mostly for looks, admittedly. I was planning to have whatever new wheels I get on my bike full time.

I rarely ride/train with groups (I only own a tri bike anyway) and just as rarely ride with even just one other person. However, I do see lots of riders while I'm out, but almost entirely on road bikes.

Are there unwritten rules out there about what looks ridiculous on the road in a non-racing situation that I should be aware of? (I certainly would not be riding a disc while training - I know that's generally bad form). I see plenty of 45-ish depth wheels out there on the road bikes, but never see any 60-ish depth wheels. Are 60s a no-no for training from an appearances standpoint? Or they're just not used much on road bikes due to the premium on handling in groups? Should just stick with 45s since the time savings between the two doesn't appear to be that much?

I'm not worried about the handling in the wind standpoint, but is there any other factors I should be considering before pulling the trigger?

I think I like the look of either set, but I might as well go for the deeper option and even the slightest additional time savings all else being equal. Maybe I shouldn't worry what others think...I just want to avoid being "that guy" unintentionally!

Thanks for any input!

Justin

2016-04-21 10:38 AM
in reply to: jte463

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Subject: RE: Training wheel etiquette
If you ride alone, how will you ever know what other people think of you anyway?
2016-04-21 10:47 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
I keep mine on all the time. I only ride once a week outside, so it's not a ton of miles. I do it for the following reasons:

1. It looks cool and I like that. We are in this for the fun of it after all.
2. I do at least one ride a week outside specifically for bike handling reasons. Bikes handle a lot different with deep rims and discs/disc covers, so it only makes sense to me to keep them on.
3. I put my disc cover on over a year ago and it never rattled or came loose so I feel like if I take it off and put it back on it will never be on as solid. If it ain't broke...
4. Batman, that is all.

Personally, who gives a squat what people think.

(Capture.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Capture.JPG (39KB - 11 downloads)
2016-04-21 10:50 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

My normal wheels are 60/90 and I've logged thousands of miles on the road without giving it a second thought.  In fact, I'll put in a few short rides with my disc before a race to make sure that all is functioning properly.  I think that you are way overthinking this.

2016-04-21 10:51 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Justin,

I ride 808's on my Tri bike and 404's on my road bike during training all the time.
I've never worried what anybody thought and nobody has ever said anything to me.

I think the only think I have seen regarding tri training that I thought was a bit odd was an aero helmet.
I'm hoping the dude was just testing out a new helmet before race day and was not regularly riding with it.
But, even then, who cares!

2016-04-21 11:01 AM
in reply to: RockTractor

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
My only concern (why I don't run my race wheels all the time.....instead of most of the time) is tire wear.

I don't give a flip what anyone else thinks about how I look on the bike. I'm 51 and wearing spandex. I'm already "that guy".

2016-04-21 11:02 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Don't worry about it, buy, install, train, race! I ride with some roadies time to time, one rides a 5k bike with $2.5k worth of deep Zipp's, never races or anything.  Another guy has some 60mm HED and so forth.  I have a pair of FLO 60/90 and they're going to become my training & racing wheels.  Was on an older pair of Felt 40mm TTR2 but its a PITA to keep adjusting the brakes due to rim width diff so the FLO's are going on permanently.

Deeper may be faster but you need to know the conditions you may experience.  Will you ever see 10*, 15*, 20* yaw angles?  Even if you do it's probably not all that much, so the faster front wheel may be the one optimized for 0*-10* and again that depends on the tire used with the wheel.  Have you seen FLO's new wheel data and other aero info?  Good stuff, and if one believes the data they have, their fastest wheel in most prevalent conditions (0-10*) with their recommended tire would probably be the 60 front.

2016-04-21 11:21 AM

User image

Those who know what you are running are just as likely to think you have them out for a test or check out ride before a race if they even give it a second thought.  Those who have no idea what carbon wheels are will just think your bike looks pretty cool.

Bottom line the only thing most people will probably be thinking is "why do these people insist on being out in public wearing spandex."

2016-04-21 11:40 AM

Plano, TX
Ok, ok....point made, everyone . I won't worry what anyone else thinks. I just wanted to be sure before I made the investment. Thanks for everyone's permission to look however I want, though
2016-04-21 11:43 AM
in reply to: Donto

Plano, TX
I have seen their new data and new upcoming lineup. Pretty interesting stuff.
2016-04-21 11:56 AM

Just put a set of Flo 60/90s on and I will never change them out (aside from a trainer wheel on the rear for basement time). My justification (not that anyone needs one) was that they avoid a lot of hassle with brake alignment and that if I spend decent money on wheels I am going to ride those babies. Looks, yeah they look damn good too. Enjoy them.

2016-04-21 4:28 PM
in reply to: #5178303

User image

Durham, North Carolina
I ride pretty much full time on my nice wheelset the only exception is on the trainer and gravel grinding. IMO why spend all that money to not ride on them? If you can afford two sweet sets and dedicate one to racing awesome but for me I just ride the one I have. They were 60/90 but now are 60/60 since I sold the 1st set.
2016-04-24 10:09 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
If you can afford to replace the wheels if something would happen to them, then by all means ride them all the time. That's what I'm doing... Have a set of ENVE SES6.7's on my road bike and ZIPP 808's on my tri bike (I have a Super9 disc, but I only use that for racing, although I do a couple of short, fast training rides in the beginning of the season on it just to get the feel for it again).
2016-04-24 6:48 PM

I ride with plenty of roadies who ride their 60's on group rides. Ride whatever you want. Heck, i doubt anyone would care if someone showed up with a disc but that person would probably be the subject of a few jokes.
2016-04-25 1:49 PM

User image

I don't ride with my race wheels in training for the following reasons...

1.  I can't afford to be replacing race wheels if I trash them in training.
2.  I train a lot...and I have broken many spokes, cracked a few hubs, and bent a few brake tracks just in the last 5 years.  I have completely trashed 4 training wheels.
3.  I run fast tires and latex tubes on my race wheels.  I prefer not to swap them out each time I go between training and racing.
4.  I use a different cassette for training than I do racing...so another thing I prefer not to always have to swap.
5.  I bought race wheels with the intention of going fast during races.  I have no desire to use them in training unless I know I'm going to be riding with guys who are much faster than me and I need all the help I can get just to keep up.

2016-04-25 2:29 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
And here I thought this post was going to be about when it is appropriate to put on/take off training wheels on your kid's bike...

2016-04-25 2:33 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by Jason N

I don't ride with my race wheels in training for the following reasons...

1.  I can't afford to be replacing race wheels if I trash them in training.
2.  I train a lot...and I have broken many spokes, cracked a few hubs, and bent a few brake tracks just in the last 5 years.  I have completely trashed 4 training wheels.
3.  I run fast tires and latex tubes on my race wheels.  I prefer not to swap them out each time I go between training and racing.
4.  I use a different cassette for training than I do racing...so another thing I prefer not to always have to swap.
5.  I bought race wheels with the intention of going fast during races.  I have no desire to use them in training unless I know I'm going to be riding with guys who are much faster than me and I need all the help I can get just to keep up.

ditto !

the roads here are bad, if I ruin my $200 aluminum rims, no big deal...but my Zipp's are 10x more $ to replace.
2016-04-25 2:35 PM
in reply to: ejshowers

Been watching GCN (global cycling network) on you tube. Those guys are all about the Aero and are always using aero wheels and they're Roadies all the way. I think aero may be the new black in europe cycling circles?!?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training wheel etiquette Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Race wheels vs training wheels

Started by andreasjs
Views: 6229 Posts: 7

2011-05-18 12:48 PM Khyron

Bike Drafting Etiquette - Training Ride

Started by Goosedog
Views: 431 Posts: 1

2011-04-11 8:40 AM Goosedog

Race wheels or training wheels with PT

Started by Skeeter1
Views: 1320 Posts: 6

2009-03-28 9:48 PM Skeeter1

tri wheel questions - race v. training wheels

Started by ff27
Views: 2669 Posts: 17

2009-02-09 12:55 PM rc63413

Training & Race Etiquette!

Started by Whizzzzz
Views: 1196 Posts: 3

2007-10-24 4:02 PM 1stTimeTri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 27, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Hint: It's not a one-person job

date : August 7, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Looking to rent or try-before-you-buy race wheels for your next triathlon? Coach AJ checks out the service at RaceDay Wheels.
date : December 15, 2008
My back wheel needs to be trued up. It has a slight side-to-side wobble, and I feel at times like I'm going to lose control when I ride. Is this something that I should only trust to my LBS to do?

date : August 5, 2008
The wheels are my first area of concern and I have started to shop around. I find it nauseating to think of spending the same amount for wheels as my bike. Any help?
date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.

date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.
date : November 9, 2006
author : McFuzz
comments : 1
How to join lap swimmers without making a splash. A primer on the social graces applied to swimming laps.