General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rookie Mistake....or maybe just a dumb mistake Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-04-21 1:43 PM

Subject: Rookie Mistake....or maybe just a dumb mistake
Hey all new the the forums, posted a couple times. I had my first triathlon this past weekend (pool sprint) and definitely had a blast. It was definitely a good learning experience, particularly, I learned that I seeded myself with too slow of a swim time and I ended up getting caught up with a lot of people who overestimated their abilities. I had to pass numerous people and often there would be two people side by side blocking the lane because they were staying right. So unfortunately I took last in my age group and the reason I took last in my age group...because I biked an extra loop!!!! Not really sure what happened but when I got my splits I was like my bike time is way too long for a 6mile bike. Then as I replayed it in my head (and ultimately checked my data on garmin connect) I realized I bike an extra loop. Absolutely disappointing to screw up that bad. Regardless it was a great first experience and I am psyched to move forward. My summer is pretty much done because my wife and I are expecting a little one in June, so it might be difficult to get more races in, but I am definitely going to be preparing for next season and my goal is to race a few sprints and maybe an oly distance by end of next summer.

So I have a few general questions:

1. I plan to join a masters program closer to next season when I have more time, but for now what kinds of pool workouts should I focus on to help with my endurance. I feel like I have hit a wall recently with how far I can go before I need a break (right around 250m).

2. What is the best way to get started with OWS? And if anyone is from the NYC area Im open to suggestions on where to go?

3. I need to work on my biking (I had some bad IT band issues going into this race and biking and running was limited), so are there any recommended sites for sample bike workouts?

Thanks for all the help in advance.

2016-04-21 2:39 PM
in reply to: cdoug55

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Rookie Mistake....or maybe just a dumb mistake

Welcome to BT!

I would suggest, rather than focus on any particular workouts, you try to find some coaching/instruction for your swim for the time being.  If you have trouble going 250m before taking a break, it is almost certainly your form, rather than your fitness, which is your biggest limiter.

Don't know where to go for OWS in/near NYC, but that should not be a major concern for you now.  Focus on the above first.  Then focus on more swimming.  Pool swimming will get you 90% of the way there in being ready for a tri.

There are many places, including this site, to get some ideas for bike workouts.  But there is no real secret.  Make sure your bike fits you and you are set up properly in it.  Then ride as much as you can and ride hard when you can.  Speed and endurance follow directly.

Obviously, there are many more details in all of the above.  But you can get pretty far by keeping it pretty simple.

2016-04-21 2:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Doug, there are Long Island Triathlon Clubs and Coney Island has an OWS group. I march to the beat of my own training schedule but have met up with some guys from time to time for some rides and *rarely* a swim.. I do most all my OWS in the Rockaways and Riis Park. It gets wavy, but it has made me a more resilient swimmer. Consider it. Coney Island water is a little calmer and like I said, there is a group there.

Was the race the MightyMiniMan in Eisenhower Park?

I plan to be taking my new tri bike out this Monday late morning in Prospect Park if you're interested. Get in touch. Welcome to BT, lot's of good folk here
Tim

Edited by TJHammer 2016-04-21 3:01 PM
2016-04-21 4:26 PM

User image

Chicago, Colorado
Welcome!

No dumb mistakes! Now, your next race will be a personal best!

Former collegiate swimmer, so I can give some tips on building endurance in the pool. Besides the obvious "swim more," I would focus on nice easy swimming, trying to go as far as you can. Keeping it easy allows you to keep your form (hips up; head mid-line, not too far up, not tucked to your chest; nice steady kick, rolling onto each side to get maximum catch with arms). It might be a good idea to mix in some short sprints to tax your respiratory system as well as put muscle-building stress on your swim muscles, again keeping form top of mind.

Some good drills to work on technique:
6 kick and roll - this is a common early season drill in swimming. Lay on your right side, with your right arm out front (or "above your head") and left arm at your side, take six (or 3 or 9. No idea why it's always multiples of three...) then slowly and controlled, roll to the other side, pulling through with your right arm, and recover with your left, so that your left is out front and your right is by your side. 6 more kicks. Repeat. If that's confusing, I bet YouTube has some videos.

Swim easy laps with a pull buoy, focusing on having your arms and hands enter cleanly and controlled. Really focus on "catching" water from the surface of the water, all the way through your stroke. Some people have a tendency to let their hand drop a few inches before they really start pulling. A good roll (side to side with your arm strokes) will make catching earlier easier.

Catchup drill - can again use a pull buoy to make this a bit easier. Catch up drill involves touching hands out front before starting the next stroke. Leaving the left hand out front (or "above your head") pull through with the right, full recovery, placing right hand on top of left, before starting your left hand pull. Again, good roll side to side.

Don't be fooled, these drills can be difficult and build endurance, while at the same time teaching good technique.

Best of luck!
2016-04-21 10:48 PM

User image

Hey Doug, good to hear you had a great first experience regardless of any mishaps. 

1. Focus on technique, and especially body position. See this thread that was just brought up that would probably apply to you as well http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=540604&posts=4&page=1

2. Don't no anything about OWS in NYC, sorry, but the previous answer (btw, am I the only one that finds it frickin annoying that I can only see one single post that I reply to, and not all previous posts in the same thread??) about you being able to get 90% there in the pool is spot on.

3. If you had IT band issues I would either a) get a bike fit if it was caused by biking or b) see a physio if you don't know what caused it to make sure you can prevent it from happening in the future. Oh, and if you do b) you should still get a bike fit anyway unless you've already had one. Hard to tell you any specific workouts, it depends on the phase of the season, your baseline fitness, and so much more. Ideally you'd get a coach so the workouts fit into a schedule tailor-made for you. But if you just want to try a bunch of workouts, Triathlete magazine has a lot of generally pretty good 'One-hour workouts' here: http://triathlon.competitor.com/tag/one-hour-workout 

2016-04-22 8:50 AM

, Vermont
Hello fellow NYCites! Glad to see some of you on here!

I'm new to triathlon this season and swimming was definitely my limiting factor. I joined the Empire Tri Club beginner swim group this past winter and am now in the intermediate swim group. I love it! It's been a good stepping point before jumping into a master's group, which after some research, I determined swim way too far for me in the course of an hour to keep up - talking 2,000-3,000m. The great thing about the Empire groups is that there's instruction as well as workouts. I like that, because my technique is decent, but being a new swimmer, I'll take all the pointers I can get. (I signed up for the 6 week beginner group knowing how to swim and 100% comfortable in the water, just without any technique coaching since my YMCA swim classes when I was 6yo.) I feel so much better about my swimming competency and fitness already, and I've really only been working at it about 8 weeks. They also offer OWS clinics later in the summer at Coney Island.

My first ever triathlon is on 5/14 (https://www.equinox.com/indoortriathlon), followed by JerseyMan on 5/22, then HITS Hague olympic in June.

2016-04-24 8:11 AM

Can't comment about NYC but I can tell you a lot of master swimmer clubs around here help their swimmers achieve better technique. They typically put a larger emphasis on their newest members. If you have a technique problem, most club I went to would help you. It does not hurt to tell the coach/coaches you are open to suggestions for improvement. Also, the smaller the club, the more time they have for you...

For the endurance, most master club I know do larger distance then triathlon race distance. Besides, you also want to be able to sprint to be the first to reach the buoy or to be able to reach a faster swimmer for drafting.

I personally aim to improve my health in a general manner so I see the breaststroke, butterfly and backstroke you do in a master club as a more "complete" training. Some would see it as a less optimal/triathlon oriented training then say a triathlon club.

I am a big fan of clubs, both triathlon and master swimmers. They help me get outside my comfort zone by varying the training. Each session is different.
2016-04-24 8:25 AM
in reply to: ninagski

Originally posted by ninagski

• ..I determined swim way too far for me in the course of an hour to keep up - talking 2,000-3,000m...

• Most club I did have place for both the beginners and the faster swimmer. But I must admit I had the same experience in a bigger/more serious club. I also had the opposite experience once, a master club which was way too slow.

The best is to try the club and have a chat with the coach to figure out if you fit or not.
    2016-04-25 4:50 PM

Thanks all!! Appreciate the advice. I won't be racing again this season due to time commitments with the family, so its going to be more prep for next season. For right now swimming might be taking a back seat here and there while I just enjoy the weather with running and biking this summer, but I will def work on those drills. Then next winter I plan to join a masters team which I have discussed a bit with the coach already. Those one hour workouts look great, I checked out a bunch already. My IT band issues are slowly resolving themselves and I am doing the PT exercises every other night, hopefully that and getting back to some strength workouts during the summer help permanently resolve it.

Thanks again everyone. Looking forward to posting more.
    2016-04-25 4:52 PM
    in reply to: TJHammer

TJ, yes it was Mini Mighty Man. I reviewed my garmin file after the race and I should have finished the bike in around 18 mins which would have put me middle of my age group. Really not sure what happened, but lesson learned hahaha
    2016-04-26 11:16 AM
    in reply to: #5178340

User image

My suggestion on an OWS is Sandy Hook in NJ. Close to NYC. From Mem Day to Labor Day you can swim past multiple life guard stations with lifeguards on duty. Plus a great place to ride and run. I've done many brick and full tri workouts there. Annual fee of $75 per car. I get the half price senior discount. In the summer I believe their is a regular ferry from lower Manhattan.

On the masters training, definitely work on technique rather than endurance. My first few years in masters swimming was about endurance/speed without paying too much attention to technique. I learned it is all about technique...I forced myself to slow down and use better technique. Watch the best distance swimmers in the pool and try to copy their form.

Enjoy the training!

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rookie Mistake....or maybe just a dumb mistake Rss Feed  
    RELATED POSTS

Rookie Mistake?

Started by se7930
    Views: 1725 Posts: 9

2011-04-28 4:22 PM kstater39

Huge rookie mistake (good for a laugh) Pages: 1 2

Started by goisles26
    Views: 3766 Posts: 39

2009-07-21 2:56 PM goisles26

Dumb rookie mistake

Started by Jeepguy2358
    Views: 981 Posts: 8

2009-02-25 9:52 AM breckview

Rookie Mistakes

Started by cctri
    Views: 1466 Posts: 7

2009-01-29 8:30 PM GordoByrn

Stupid Rookie Mistake

Started by mlaugustine
    Views: 820 Posts: 5

2005-03-21 11:03 PM TH3_FRB
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : April 27, 2012
    author : ytriguy
    comments : 0
    Some of the major mistakes I made over a 28-year career that I would do differently if I had it all to do over again.

date : March 4, 2009
    author : Coach AJ
    Discussions on wide feet, Ironman nutrition and it's importance, the use of fins in swimming, transition mistakes, special needs bags and running sockless.
    date : December 4, 2008
    author : Tri Swim Coach
    Discussion on how to properly kick, sculling, the 3/4 catch-up drill, hand entry mechanics and the utility of using fins, buoys, paddles and kick board. PLUS the top pool mistake.

date : July 9, 2008
    author : EndurancePlanet
    Trixie speaks of how she made her way into endurance sports and also gives some interesting insight on common runner's mistakes.
    date : February 21, 2008
    author : mrakes1
    Discussions on Ironman training and weightloss, multivitamins, whey protein, fish oil, nightime workouts and bedtime eating, long swim recovery nutrition, and the 3 top nutrition mistakes.

date : March 20, 2007
    author : Diane1961
    I ponder my training. Should I have trained differently? Should I have trained more? Should I have trained harder? Should I not be wearing a sail?
    date : March 7, 2007
    author : Tri Swim Coach
    Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.

date : July 31, 2005
    comments : 5
    Your self-image serves as the operating instructions of your subconscious computer. If you don’t change the operating system, you will be doomed to repeat your past mistakes.