General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New here, considering a triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-04-21 5:03 PM

User image

Subject: New here, considering a triathlon
Hi all,

I am 43 and overweight (working on it!), but I've always been very active in various ways. I did the California International Marathon in 2014 and had my sights set on a triathlon as my next goal, but a breast cancer diagnosis set me back for another year. So now I'm starting from less than zero, trying to get back to my former level of fitness and I have a long way to go. I also gained a LOT of weight during my illness, so I'm watching what I eat and have lost a few pounds so far. Sadly, it's a slow process.

I'm signed up for CIM for this year because I had signed up for 2015 and deferred it when I got sick. Whether I'm up for the task remains to be seen, but I've been working out 6 days/week and improving with each one so I'm optimistic. I just have to listen to my body and do what I can. Sometimes I think I'm going to go for a run and it tells me no.

Meanwhile, I still really want to do a tri. I have not been much of a bicyclist since I've been an adult, but I got a Novara Jaunt for Christmas and have been riding a couple of miles here and there when I can. I think that will be the hardest part. I've been a swimmer all my life, although I struggle with breathing in freestyle and generally just do breast stroke. I guess I have to get that worked out! Right now, the furthest I've swam is 550 yards, although I was doing double that with ease before cancer. And of course running is ok, although I'm slow. My longest run since I've been back was 3 miles, and I felt great, but right now I'm only doing 1:00 run/4:00 walk intervals.

So the question is...is it realistic to do a tri this year while I'm still recovering from chemo, a unilateral mastectomy, and 6 weeks of radiation? When I'm extremely overweight and lost all fitness? When I'm also training for a marathon?

2016-04-21 5:46 PM
in reply to: twnkltoz

User image

Subject: RE: New here, considering a triathlon

Welcome, and welcome to the world of triathlon!  Sorry can't say if you can do all of that as I don't know when the CIM or the tri is, but people have done a lot of amzing things here.

And, there's really only one way to find out for sure   

2016-04-21 10:03 PM

User image

Master

Welcome!  Sorry to hear about your breast cancer diagnosis, but sounds like you are kicking its butt!  Congrats on the weight loss so far; treat each pound lost as a success.

I don't know that anyone can tell you if you can do a tri and a marathon while recovering from all you are going through.  Listening to your body is really important as you said.  If you can already swim 550m and run/walk 3 miles, I think a sprint tri is very doable.  There are no rules that say that you have to swim freestyle; just be aware of not kicking anyone else.  There are no rules that say that you have to run the entire run leg either.  Try to get on your bike as much as you can. 

Just something to think about: triathlon is not going anywhere.  It will be here, even if you decide you can't do all you would like to this year.  Best of luck to you!

2016-04-22 3:02 AM
in reply to: #5178373

User image

Thank you both. I think what it will come down to is I'll train as much as I can, and if I feel like I can do it and the right event comes along, I'll go for it (don't have a particular one in mind). Otherwise, I'll wait until next year and really go for it. Meanwhile, I can read and learn all I can!

The marathon is December 4, BTW.
2016-05-09 12:27 PM

User image

, North Carolina
Congrats on the fight and kicking tail out there!

From reading your post I don't see any reason you couldn't swing a tri later in the summer... especially if it's a sprint or super sprint. You know what it takes to run a marathon and I think if you keep listening to your body and stay injury free then the endurance from your marathon training can really transfer over well to a tri. Also, having the bike and run training in there... especially in the early stages... will help you stay healthy and injury free as you start building up your run. By the time the tri is done you will totally be ready to focus on the Dec. Marathon and nail it!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New here, considering a triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Considering a new challenge

Started by dramaqueenjs
Views: 599 Posts: 2

2014-08-19 10:40 AM IndoIronYanti

I'm new to this and considering..

Started by rundadrun
Views: 862 Posts: 3

2009-12-27 12:17 PM 1stTimeTri

New to Board, not new to triathlon

Started by Daffodil
Views: 1051 Posts: 2

2009-09-06 7:49 AM kcassiday

new to Iowa and new to the world of triathlons

Started by doughboy66
Views: 747 Posts: 2

2009-02-18 6:41 AM Sprint_DA

Brand new to Triathlon, semi-new to exercise

Started by CherylAnn
Views: 1427 Posts: 16

2004-07-07 6:11 PM CherylAnn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 20, 2014
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Any athlete who is facing the potential for an ACL repair surgery should ask himself or herself what they are hoping to do in the future.

date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : December 27, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 5
Are you a new swimmer starting your triathlon training? Here are some top answers to member questions as you begin your triathlon swim training.
date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.