General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training - long run before long bike, or long bike before long run? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-04-23 5:18 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Subject: Training - long run before long bike, or long bike before long run?

I'm going to be following the Friel power based IM plan this year.  In looking it over, it has the long run of the week on the day preceding the long ride - every week.  In the past, I've always had the bike precede the run because a) the plans called for it, b) it made sense as the run follows the bike in the race and c) that progression puts you on legs that got a good workout within the last 24 hours.  I've never trained the way that Friel's plan calls for, and am wondering what differences to expect in how I feel or approach it.  If I don't like the way it works out, is there any downside to switching days between run/ride?

2016-04-23 5:30 PM
in reply to: TTom

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Training - long run before long bike, or long bike before long run?
I don't think it matters. Because of the traffic situation here, I pretty much always do my long ride on Sunday and my long run on Saturday. I don't think it's impacted my training or racing. I think the one case where it would really matter is if you were a weak or very injury-prone runner. Then it might actually be better to do the long run on the first day. I do a brick workout pretty much every week when I'm training for an event, so it's not like I'm not getting any practice in running on legs that are already fatigued from the bike. My experience is that a hard or long run the day before tends to impact biking less than the other way around, but not sure if that's true for others--maybe it's just because that's what I'm used to.
2016-04-23 6:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Training - long run before long bike, or long bike before long run?
Here is one opinion from a guy who knows a thing or two

http://www.markallencoaching.com/long-bike-and-long-run-workouts/

2016-04-23 6:53 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
I put the long ride first. If it rains, I can always switch the run and ride and have a second chance at the ride.
2016-04-23 7:10 PM
in reply to: nickster

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by nickster

I put the long ride first. If it rains, I can always switch the run and ride and have a second chance at the ride.

x2 I let them float and decide based on the weather. I can run in anything, but my bike handling skills are not as great so I will hesitate in high wind or rain.
2016-04-24 10:11 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
For a triathlete it makes sense to put the run after the bike. For a duathlete, it truly doesn't matter as you'll have both situations anyways...

2016-04-24 11:03 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by marcag Here is one opinion from a guy who knows a thing or two http://www.markallencoaching.com/long-bike-and-long-run-workouts/

I'm with Mark Allen on this one: long bike first, long run the next day.  No huge bricks, but bricks with a moderate run (he says up to 50 minutes) are fine.

This is what I generally do, occasionally subject to change due to circumstances.

Edited by brucemorgan 2016-04-24 11:05 AM
2016-04-24 1:42 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Thanks for all the feedback.  I'm leaning toward switching and putting the runs following the bike, but may try the first few weeks to see how I like it.  On the other hand, I'm also a creature of habit so just may go with what I've found works for me.

2016-04-24 3:28 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by brucemorgan

Originally posted by marcag Here is one opinion from a guy who knows a thing or two http://www.markallencoaching.com/long-bike-and-long-run-workouts/

I'm with Mark Allen on this one: long bike first, long run the next day.  No huge bricks, but bricks with a moderate run (he says up to 50 minutes) are fine.

This is what I generally do, occasionally subject to change due to circumstances.

In this, he even extended the thought of not running so far to the long run when it's the day after a long bike. Not just bricks. "It is not important to cover a lot of ground on that long run, but rather to learn how to deal with fatigue and hold your overall form and keep it relaxed, to maintain a good cadence rate and to hold a midfoot strike."

2016-04-24 7:45 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by TTom

I'm going to be following the Friel power based IM plan this year.  In looking it over, it has the long run of the week on the day preceding the long ride - every week.  In the past, I've always had the bike precede the run because a) the plans called for it, b) it made sense as the run follows the bike in the race and c) that progression puts you on legs that got a good workout within the last 24 hours.  I've never trained the way that Friel's plan calls for, and am wondering what differences to expect in how I feel or approach it.  If I don't like the way it works out, is there any downside to switching days between run/ride?

It depends where you are in your triathlon career. How many IMs have you done int he past? How many marathons? Which is a relative weakness your run or your bike? Why are you trying Friel's plan now? What do you have to lose by trying his plan as written?

Too many triathletes don't try effective training methods out of fear..ie if I don't do it this way I won't be prepared.

How will you know when it is or isn't working out (last question in your post). Will it just be instinct? Do you have a marker race planned? Will you track overall fatigue, or run improvement or bike improvement or... ???
2016-04-25 7:39 AM
in reply to: nickster

User image

Originally posted by nickster

Same here. If I am riding and it starts raining, I keep riding, but I hate to start a ride in the rain. I love to run in the rain though. However, I prefer to do the ride on the first day because I am trying to train my legs to run tired.

2016-04-25 8:17 AM
in reply to: #5178555

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Friel states if I remember right that he wanted your legs fresh so you got a more "quality" run in instead of running on tired legs the next day. I did his plan and not sure how I feel about it. I did a 3:52 marathon split in my IM, but there were other factors that played into that.

I think Mr. Allen has it right though.
2016-04-25 9:30 AM
in reply to: Bevie

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Running on tired legs is not a skill.  The only added training benefit of doing consecutive long bike/long run is mental.  Doing a small amount of it can make one more confident come race day.  But, in general, making the workout higher quality should be the primary focus most of the time.  Doing this could make you place the long run before or after the bike, depending which workout you need/want to be of higher quality.  Another option is to separate the long run and bike and not do them back-to-back at all.  My preferred long course training program puts a long run mid-week (earl am for me) and then two bikes on the weekend--with a brick run after at least one of them.  Unless forced, I never do them back-to-back in training.

2016-04-25 10:12 AM
in reply to: #5178686

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I'm with johnny Kay. I never place my athletes long run and ride back to back. Long ride sat so it can be moved to sun if needed. Long run tu, we'd, thu as their own schedule allows
2016-04-25 10:20 AM
in reply to: #5178720

I think a lot of folks do their long runs and rides on Saturday and Sunday (whatever the order) is because they don't have time to do one of them during the work week. I'd love to put some space between my long rides/runs, but work and family make this rough during the week.
2016-04-25 1:10 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by brucemorgan

In this, he even extended the thought of not running so far to the long run when it's the day after a long bike. Not just bricks. "It is not important to cover a lot of ground on that long run, but rather to learn how to deal with fatigue and hold your overall form and keep it relaxed, to maintain a good cadence rate and to hold a midfoot strike."

Lots of variables to who can get the most effective training from a long run the day after a long bike. But if you cannot hold a quality run gait from the start of your long run the day AFTER your long bike, then its best to switch it around, or think if running fatigued will make you a better runner. Will it make you run more effectively then high quality running? Probably not.

I would say that long run after a long bike is more or less earned then just given.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training - long run before long bike, or long bike before long run? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

How long is too long for long runs?

Started by Bevie
Views: 2562 Posts: 20

2013-06-11 11:16 PM brigby1

HIM training...how long for long bikes/runs??

Started by Kermat89
Views: 3319 Posts: 18

2013-08-05 1:48 PM svalenzuela

Long Bike/Long Run Same Weekend vs Alternating Weekends

Started by Lance26.2
Views: 1556 Posts: 15

2008-08-12 1:28 PM Plissken74

long run and long bike back to back?

Started by kellc09
Views: 1629 Posts: 10

2006-02-26 8:32 AM amiine

LONG BIKE / LONG RUN

Started by COP2TRI
Views: 1412 Posts: 9

2005-01-07 5:54 PM COgirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 12, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
On the long bike rides of 80+ miles I get very strong pain in my toes. I slow down my pace and I might recover, but when I hit the next hill it is back. Could this be some kind of circulation issue?

date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.
date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation

date : November 9, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
How long should the 1st long run of a new season be and how to determine volumes when beginning training for a specific event.
date : March 5, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion on tapering, treadmill workout, long run issues, insituting run/walk, surrounded by hills and knowing your LT.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.
date : October 2, 2005
author : acbadger
I recognize that my 45 minute jog Wednesday night does not really count as a ”long” run, but for me it was! Yesterday I felt fine…but man, today the legs are SORE.

date : April 17, 2005
My question is on nutrition in a long race. Most intake will occur on the bike, but I'm curious as to the details. I didn't do real well in this area last year and really need to improve.