General Discussion Race Reports! » Chattahoochee Challenge Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Chattahoochee Challenge Half Iron Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Columbus, Georgia
United States
TriColumbusGA
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 32m 4s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 10/28
Pre-race routine:

Got up 90 min before start, ate my oatmeal (too much, I think) and rode 1.5 miles to the start
Event warmup:

None, other than riding from the hotel to the start
Swim
  • 30m 28s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim went well. Used the new full suit, and it went well, I got a bit warm by the second loop. Never pushed, just tried to stay calm with the wave start of all men, and held steady. Navigated pretty well, rounded buoys very smoothly. Got out of the water at 29:45 on my watch. Pretty pleased.
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Transition 1
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

Went faiorly well. No problem getting suit off. Short 50yd run up fromthe beach to T1. As I was hopping on bike, though, I dropped my sunglasses. As I backed up to get them, chain came off. Probably cost me 60 sec overall, but still was 10/28 in AG in T1

not drop glasses or chain
Bike
  • 2h 56m 28s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.04 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike went OK. I was hoping for 2:50. Started off well getting out of park. Felt I was going into the win d all the way out. Nice short 4 mile stretch after turn was all downwind and I was flying. Turned back towards to park, expecting to have wind helping me, but it felt even more into me than anything else. Pushed through it, got to the turnaround just befroe the park and did it all over again. I could tell it was more of a cross wind going out on the second loop. Stayed strong going out, the downhill section stillfelt good. I kept it farily steady back to the trunaround point, thoguh. Signage in the park coming back was not great. And it was a different part of the park. Lots of twists and turns, so I could never settle in or get in aero position for long. Also, I was full from breakfast and never felt like eating or dinking much. I did manage a 1/2 clif bar at ~40 min, a gel at 1:15, another 1/2 clif bar at 2 hrs, a bottle of water over the first 75 min, and 1/2 bottle of gatorade over the rest of the ride. Not enough, but I was feeling queasy.

eaet less breakfast, and more consistent intake on the bike. I still broke 3 hours wihich was the ultimate goal, but I was hoping to be closer to 2:50.
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

This went very smoothly. 3/28 in AG. Didn't rush it, just no problems

nothign
Run
  • 2h 02m 34s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

I thought I was feeling pretty good coming out of T2 and was planning on running sub 1:55, and hopefully below 1:50. I stopped and peed during the first mile and I never felt that I could really stretch the legs out. Didn't feel really bad until mile 11 or so, but I never felt good either. Hit the 7 mile mark in1:03 exactly, right at 9:00 pace, but was hoping to run 8:30s at the worst. I managed to run the entire way except at the water stops except for 1 30yd walk break in the last mile.

better nutrition before the run
Post race
Warm down:

none, jumped in the lake to cool off, ate a piece of pizza, and drove to ATL

What limited your ability to perform faster:

heat, poor nutrition

Event comments:

Only ~160 racers, but being a Toughman event, I expected a bit more. Nice hoodie, but that was the ONLY swag. Swim course was very confusing, they had to go over it in pre-race instructions about 4 times. Bike course was good, until the last 6 miles in the park when there were multiple turns and noone there to point you in the right direction. There were small signs so I didn't get lost, but there was lots of potential to miss a turn. Run was good with plenty of stops. Post-race was lacking.

Last updated: 2016-02-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:28 | 2112 yards | 01m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/28
Overall: 10/
Performance: Good
Suit: Y
Course: 2 loop trianlge
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:38
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:56:28 | 56 miles | 19.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/28
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: 4 miles out of park, 2 23 mile trianlgle loops, and 6 miles back thru park to T2
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:02:34 | 13.1 miles | 09m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/28
Overall: 30/
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loop course through Callaway Gardens. Mostly flat and shady. Started about 70 deg and warmed up to miud 70s by the end
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2016-04-24 8:29 PM

Subject: Chattahoochee Challenge Half Iron Triathlon

2016-04-26 5:23 PM
in reply to: #5178647

User image

Subject: RE: Chattahoochee Challenge Half Iron Triathlon
I was there for my first half distance race. I agree with all your comments. I was expecting a much bigger production being a Toughman branded event. I was unable to get any information before the race on the number or entrants overall or in age groups, but that was no big deal. I really enjoyed the race though, mainly because of the venue. Couldn't beat the weather and that run in the shade. I was lucky and didn't miss any turns on the bike, but I was worried a couple of times coming back into the park that I had missed something. Also once or twice on the run, but I was pretty far back in the field so the racers had thinned out a lot by the time I was coming through. Volunteers did a good job I thought and support was good on food and drink. I will go back if they have it there at the Gardens again. I like that venue that much. Congratulations on a good race to you.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chattahoochee Challenge Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Chattahoochee Challenge Half Iron Triathlon

Started by auburn365
Views: 831 Posts: 1

2015-02-10 7:46 PM auburn365

Started by jenbmosley
Views: 1188 Posts: 4

2014-05-05 3:10 PM strikyr

Started by auburn365
Views: 794 Posts: 2

2013-05-08 4:42 PM Manatee Express

Started by macmosher
Views: 720 Posts: 1

2013-04-27 10:51 AM macmosher

Started by m1hw
Views: 1502 Posts: 1

2012-04-23 3:33 PM m1hw
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : May 20, 2014
author : leighdodd
comments : 0
My issue is that I am currently deployed and training outside is proving difficult, especially on the bike. I have found a safe 10km running loop but I am struggling with the bike training.
date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.