Other Resources The Political Joe » Renaming buildings to be PC Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-04-25 2:12 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Subject: Renaming buildings to be PC

The debate over building names, statutes, and dedications has grown over the years.  A recent example is the push to rename Robert E. Lee Elementary

While Robert E. Lee did have some ties to Texas, he certainly did not make a name for himself or do anything particularly heroic while here.  There is little argument that his name on buildings in the South has everything to do with leading the Confederate Army.  After the shootings in Charleston, the Austin School Board decided it was going to change the name of the school and asked for nominations.  It is pretty clear from the nominations, that the hoards of people pushing for the name change did not have a coherent plan for a new name (and the group of concerned residents wasn't that large).  Here is the list of nominations:

Top 10 renaming recommendations — sorted by most nominated:

1. Donald J. Trump Elementary: 45 nominations
  2. Robert E. Lee Elementary: 34 nominations
  3. Russell Lee Elementary: 32 nominations
  4. Harper Lee Elementary: 30 nominations
  5. Elisabet Ney Elementary: 15 nominations
  6. Lee Elementary: 13 nominations
  7. Adolf Hitler School for Friendship and Tolerance: 8 nominations
  8. Waller Creek Elementary: 8 nominations
  9. Dr. Frances J. Nesmith Elementary School: 7 nominations
  10. Guy Bizzell Elementary: 6 nominations

Some of the more notable, but less voted names include:

Adam Lanza’s School of Fun, Bee Movie, Bleeding Heart Liberal Elementary, Boaty McBoatface Elementary School, Forgetting the Past Dooms You to Repeat It Elementary, Garfunkel, Hypothetical Perfect Person Memorial Elementary School, John Cena Elementary and Schooly McSchoolerson.

Trump, Hitler among the nominations to rename Robert E. Lee Elementary

Edited by Hook'em 2016-04-25 2:14 PM

2016-04-25 2:22 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Renaming buildings to be PC
Funny! Easy for me - it is right on Waller Creek, so be it named!
2016-04-25 3:39 PM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Pro

Originally posted by ejshowers Funny! Easy for me - it is right on Waller Creek, so be it named!

There were probably some Wallers who owned slaves, or had an abortion, or were gay, or hated gays, or who had criminal records......that ain't gonna work.

Try again.

2016-04-25 4:14 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by ejshowers Funny! Easy for me - it is right on Waller Creek, so be it named!

There were probably some Wallers who owned slaves, or had an abortion, or were gay, or hated gays, or who had criminal records......that ain't gonna work.

Try again.

If I remember my Texas history, Edwin Waller was both a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence from Mexico and the Secession Declaration during the Civil War. 

My nomination:  My Dear Watson Elementary 

2016-04-25 5:11 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

My personal favorite:
Hypothetical Perfect Person Memorial Elementary School

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Renaming buildings to be PC Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Love this Guy! I am voting for him!

Started by jford2309
Views: 540 Posts: 2

2016-02-18 4:33 PM ChineseDemocracy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 30, 2016
author : Endorphin Hub
comments : 0
It's five months until race season; how will I survive?!

date : October 31, 2012
author : TINKARRA
Most of the races are flat here, but I live in the area where I could do hilly rides with 1500-2000m of climbing. Is there much benefit with that if I am racing flat?
date : December 22, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
This month, the focus will be on building your aerobic base while improving or maintaining stroke technique.

date : October 22, 2008
author : Curt Chesney
What training do you do during your off season? Any advice on what to aim for? Should I focus on building a better base?
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
This part of the program is the conditioning phase using several bodyweight exercises including pushups, pullups, dips, squats and situps.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.