General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you ride in rush hour traffic ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2016-04-25 5:49 PM

User image

Subject: Do you ride in rush hour traffic ?
I live outside Philadelphia so there's a lot of old roads. Designed 1700's early 1800's which means no shoulders. A lot of places it's one lane each way and if anything a gutter. They weren't really planned for cars and definitely not the level of traffic on them. Every time I see people riding during rush hour I think to myself, why increase the odds!

2016-04-25 6:58 PM
in reply to: #5178864

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Do you ride in rush hour traffic ?
I personally don't do it. I'm fortunate enough to be able to typically plan my rides for a decent traffic time and when I can't I ride zwift.
2016-04-25 7:18 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

No, but during the week I am on the Computrainer anyway

2016-04-25 8:20 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
It's always rush hour here, so yes. I ride outdoors a max of once a week, usually more like 2-3 times/month, aside from racing. Most of it is in a pretty traffic-controlled area (an industrial park that's closed to outside traffic) but I have to access it with 5 km there and back on a heavily traveled parkway. Even starting at first light (just before 6 AM) on a Sunday morning, it is busy by US standards; by the time I finish a 3+ hour ride it is full-on third-world chaos. There are signals but no one follows them. People do left turns, right turns, U-turns without stopping. Cars go into the motorbike lane. There is no bike lane in the whole country. And one always has to keep an eye out for what we call "wrong way Charlies"--people riding against traffic because they're too lazy to go to the end of the median and then loop back. I just assume everyone on the road is trying to kill me, and ride defensively. I also lower my seat and change into running shoes. The industrial park is the only place that I will ride clipped in or in aero.

I have to balance the dangers of riding in these conditions with the dangers of racing at 20+ mph in aero with no practice in bike handling skills at all.
2016-04-25 8:41 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Originally posted by Hot Runner I have to balance the dangers of riding in these conditions with the dangers of racing at 20+ mph in aero with no practice in bike handling skills at all.
I get this part. Sometimes I just wonder if people are aware of the extra risk they are taking on.
2016-04-25 8:54 PM

This time of year it's hard to ride after work and before it gets dark and not have to deal with the lingering traffic. You just got to pick your spots and know which roads to take and the level of risk you're wiling to accept. Some folks are able to ride comfortably on roads others will not venture down. If you don't live in an area that has good roads I feel for you, I'd move if it's important enough to you.

2016-04-25 9:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Yes... on occasion. City of 1.2 million. Still alive.
2016-04-25 9:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Works in Europe. Pretty sure the UK has some narrow roads.
2016-04-25 9:14 PM
in reply to: Lupy

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

I try to avoid it, but occasionally one of my weekday morning rides will overlap with rush hour times.  I try to keep to non-main roads.  There's always some risk.  I find that commuters are on the more aggressive side of the driving scale, but that's not always the case, and neither is the inverse.

2016-04-25 9:39 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Originally posted by ziggie204 I'd move if it's important enough to you.
I bought a trainer. It was a cheaper option!
2016-04-26 7:01 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

I live outside Philadelphia so there's a lot of old roads. Designed 1700's early 1800's which means no shoulders. A lot of places it's one lane each way and if anything a gutter. They weren't really planned for cars and definitely not the level of traffic on them. Every time I see people riding during rush hour I think to myself, why increase the odds!

Yes, I live about 20 miles from you. I actually try to commute to work (12 mile one way) as much as I can. I probably have more back roads in my area than you do, and spent a lot of time figuring out a good bike route to work. There are some sections where I have no choice but to be on a highly traveled 2 lane roads. On the down hills into flats I pedal my a$$ off to hold the speed limit; at times I move over blocking anyone from passing. I also have areas where I move off the road and let everyone pass. There are a lot of cyclists in my area, so most people are ok with us on the road as long as your not holding them up too long.

2016-04-26 8:03 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

I avoid it for training but do commute in fair weather. So yes, i do. Ride a route by one of the universities so there are tons of cyclists and drivers seem to generally be aware. that helps a lot! 

2016-04-26 8:15 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

New user
madison, Wisconsin
As strange as it may sound, I actually prefer to ride in "the s#@t" (as I call it). Let me explain. When I'm in the city, my senses are on high alert. I am able to anticipate things before they happen and can react to them.
Conversely, when I'm out in the country and haven't seen a car in 30 minutes, I get pretty freaked out when they get painfully close whilst passing, etc. A friend of mine was out on the IronMan loop, which is very rural, and a guy just completely blew a stop sign. Hit him at 40mph. Pretty much ruined his whole day.
2016-04-26 8:39 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
nope. I see guys around me doing it and still I shake my head. I can respect the people who don't let it stop them, but I'll never think it's a good idea. Sure sure, you can wreck anywhere or get hit by a car on a back road... but man, I think some of these people really play the odds.
2016-04-26 8:41 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by mike761
Originally posted by Goggles PizzanoI live outside Philadelphia so there's a lot of old roads. Designed 1700's early 1800's which means no shoulders. A lot of places it's one lane each way and if anything a gutter. They weren't really planned for cars and definitely not the level of traffic on them. Every time I see people riding during rush hour I think to myself, why increase the odds!
Yes, I live about 20 miles from you. I actually try to commute to work (12 mile one way) as much as I can. I probably have more back roads in my area than you do, and spent a lot of time figuring out a good bike route to work. There are some sections where I have no choice but to be on a highly traveled 2 lane roads. On the down hills into flats I pedal my a$$ off to hold the speed limit; at times I move over blocking anyone from passing. I also have areas where I move off the road and let everyone pass. There are a lot of cyclists in my area, so most people are ok with us on the road as long as your not holding them up too long.
It has definitely gotten more friendly around here in recent years. The risk I think about watching people ride in rush hour is more distracted or aggressive end of the day stuff. On these two lane roads there's a lot of questionable moves with people trying to get around someone making a left turn or things like that. I avoid the main roads on my drive daily. That's probably why last night when I took an alternate route I got to thinking you're courageous when I saw someone riding.

Edited by Goggles Pizzano 2016-04-26 8:43 AM
2016-04-26 9:58 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Leegoocrap nope. I see guys around me doing it and still I shake my head. I can respect the people who don't let it stop them, but I'll never think it's a good idea. Sure sure, you can wreck anywhere or get hit by a car on a back road... but man, I think some of these people really play the odds.

I feel the same way.

For me, I've mapped out the least traveled roads to get from my house to farm land where I can ride with virtually no traffic. But even then, if I know there's a big event going on or a shift change at the factory that employs 10K people that I ride by, I'll alter my route accordingly. Sometimes I will put my bike in the car and drive out to a remote starting point.

2016-04-26 11:01 AM
in reply to: #5178864

User image

I ride most of the year in NJ on my indoor trainer..large library of virtual rides and Spinervals. I do ride in nice weather at the jersey shore...Sandy Hook or Island Beach State Park...otherwise traffic in central NJ is crazy
2016-04-26 12:09 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Originally posted by simpsonbo Yes... on occasion. City of 1.2 million. Still alive.

This for me too.

2016-04-26 1:50 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
I do often in the late Spring, Summer and early Fall mid-week, but almost all the roads I ride are out in suburbia with fairly nice, wide shoulders, so busier than normal, but still safe I feel.
2016-04-26 11:01 PM
in reply to: #5178988

Don't own a trainer (san diego weather makes them seem silly...), so 4 to 7 days a week, 2 to 6 hrs a day for the last 5 months. Still alive, but a few close calls.
2016-04-27 7:01 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Weird but true, the three times I have crashed my bike have been:

1. Crashing into a buddy's rear wheel in the industrial park with no traffic around. We were chatting, she swerved suddenly to avoid a tree branch that had just blown down on that lap (gusty conditions), and I didn't stop in time.

2. Stopped at a red light and hit by two girls on a motorbike who crashed into my aerobars from the left. I was looking straight ahead/up waiting for the light to change. I was not in the intersection itself, and they didn't turn, so no idea how they came to ride into me. It may have been a botched robbery attempt (but for what??), or maybe they were just drunk/high. They laughed hysterically and rode on. Right at the entrance to the industrial park.

3. Stopped at a red light on a fairly quiet residential street while commuting in Portland, hit from behind by someone who had decided to just "roll" through the red light since only a few seconds were left on the timer. They didn't see me, and had veered into the bike lane. They were driving up a steep hill and due east just after sunrise; claimed the conditions impaired their vision. I had a flashing rear light on my bike, and was wearing a bright orange jacket with reflective striping. It was ruled their fault by the cops and insurance and they had to pay to have my MTB rebuilt. Luckily, no serious injury to me, but my bike was a mess.

Have to say that while traffic can be deadly, sometimes you are least safe when you have let down your guard because the light is in your favor, or the road is lightly trafficked, or you're riding in a familiar place with a buddy or group and not really focused on the road in front of you.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-04-27 7:07 AM

2016-04-27 7:50 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

, North Carolina
Nope. We have a pretty low pop density here and very rural. But, we are also the poorest, least healthy county in the state. So, not many on bikes and not many paying much attention when they drive.

I've come to prefer the trainer and Sunday Morning rides.
2016-04-27 8:00 AM
in reply to: Nick B

User image

New user
madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Nick B

Nope. We have a pretty low pop density here and very rural. But, we are also the poorest, least healthy county in the state. So, not many on bikes and not many paying much attention when they drive.

I've come to prefer the trainer and Sunday Morning rides.

This was pretty much my point before. I would much rather have close calls in the city where, theoretically, cars are paying a bit of attention, than to get slammed on a rural road by a car that blew a sign because he didn't feel the need to stop since he's never encountered cross traffic at that intersection. (That was actually the guy's excuse when my friend got hit)
2016-05-03 3:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

I try to avoid rush hour traffic but do hit it occasionally.  However I don't bike commute simply because I consider it too dangerous near my office..

I love cycling but I'm not willing to die for it... Having said that a buddy and I were talking about a cyclist who was killed on one of our regular routes last summer and as sad as it is to imagine, at least the guy's last experience in this realm was cycling...

Morbid I know and not trying to make light of cyclist deaths... 

2016-05-03 4:32 PM

Master
, California

I used to ride a long commute (~20mi), about 75% on paved bike trails and the remainder in downtown traffic -- some bike lanes, some not.  It was mostly pretty reasonable except for a couple things:

1) Bike lanes near parallel parked cars are always a risk of getting doored.  We do have a one-way street going into Seattle where the bike lane is on the left (weird) but it removes that problem.

2) Impatient commuters tailgate a LOT more and that includes you on your bike.  If I ever fell or even stopped too fast it would be pancake time.

On the plus side, traffic is usually moving very slowly on city roads at rush hour, so there's less reason for drivers to get irritated with you.

Edit: another option we have, at least here, is that we can throw our bikes on a city bus.  So if I really hated the city traffic I could've just ridden the trail and then hopped on a bus the rest of the way.

Edited by spudone 2016-05-03 4:34 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you ride in rush hour traffic ? Rss Feed  

of 1

RELATED POSTS

How to get comfortable riding with car traffic Pages: 1 2

Started by noelle1230
Views: 2642 Posts: 33

2012-07-12 11:21 AM noelle1230

nutrition-head rush hours after long hard ride

Started by dmdzti35
Views: 1565 Posts: 9

2010-03-22 10:56 PM Lockdown

Ironman 70.3 training - 5 hours bike ride vs 3 hours bike ride and 2 hours run

Started by Butcher
Views: 4801 Posts: 17

2009-07-27 11:25 AM jasonnance

Gold Rush Randonnee 750 mile bike ride (90 hours)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 690 Posts: 3

2009-07-08 10:08 PM Baowolf

Traffic ticket while riding bike??? Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by ryanm_james
Views: 3173 Posts: 81

2007-09-15 7:37 PM D.Z.