General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycle training and periodic time trials Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-04-26 8:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: Cycle training and periodic time trials

With my cycle training I performed a 20' TT early on to establish my max power and based workouts around the max power number. My "max power" number is the average watt output from an all out, absolutely no gas left in the tank. 20' session.  Over the subsequent weeks, I've done other TT sessions to update for growth and re-establish the max power number.  These subsequent TT sessions were an 8' interval and so the basis for my question is ... is an 8' TT adequate to re-establish ones power number or should I do another 20' TT instead or something else?

Could an 8' duration result in an inflated new max power number, due to the fact that I could hang on for 8' - but not at the same power level for 20'?  If so, doesn't this result in a higher workload with the workouts?  My feeling is the difference between an 8' and 20' TT may be around 5%.  Could an inflated max power increment result in over training, and also falsely inflate my sweet spot is for long rides ... my sweet spot being somewhere between 70%-80% of max power and the zone wherein I feel I can ride for a looong time.

Might be making much about nothing, but I'd appreciate feedback and comments.

2016-04-26 9:02 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Cycle training and periodic time trials
pick one, test that way exclusively and use that to adjust.

I suggest people never assume they can do a longer interval at x% until they actually do it. It's a LOT easier to "hold on" for 8 minutes than it is for 20, or for 20 than it is for an hour, etc. Doesn't mean you can't... just means I wouldn't assume it for a race.

*You miss a whole range of emotions and soul searching doing the shorter tests.

Looking at your clock and seeing that you are 5 minutes in feels a whole lot different in an 8' test than it does in an hour test

Edited by Leegoocrap 2016-04-26 9:21 AM
2016-04-26 9:17 AM
in reply to: Dorm57

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Cycle training and periodic time trials
Originally posted by Dorm57

With my cycle training I performed a 20' TT early on to establish my max power and based workouts around the max power number. My "max power" number is the average watt output from an all out, absolutely no gas left in the tank. 20' session.  Over the subsequent weeks, I've done other TT sessions to update for growth and re-establish the max power number.  These subsequent TT sessions were an 8' interval and so the basis for my question is ... is an 8' TT adequate to re-establish ones power number or should I do another 20' TT instead or something else?

Could an 8' duration result in an inflated new max power number, due to the fact that I could hang on for 8' - but not at the same power level for 20'?  If so, doesn't this result in a higher workload with the workouts?  My feeling is the difference between an 8' and 20' TT may be around 5%.  Could an inflated max power increment result in over training, and also falsely inflate my sweet spot is for long rides ... my sweet spot being somewhere between 70%-80% of max power and the zone wherein I feel I can ride for a looong time.

Might be making much about nothing, but I'd appreciate feedback and comments.

To determine FTP,
An 8' test is less accurate than a 20
a 20 is less accurate than a 5and20
a 5and20 is less accurate than a 60m

there are other tests with more or less degrees of accuracy depending what you are looking for.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycle training and periodic time trials Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cool YouTube of our team training for the Team Time Trial

Started by Tom Demerly.
Views: 1191 Posts: 9

2012-10-26 9:12 AM goran007

need training plan advice for time trial

Started by vrljc
Views: 924 Posts: 3

2009-08-11 12:47 PM Donto

Time Trial - Cycling - Tell me what to expect

Started by sdanaher
Views: 1197 Posts: 14

2009-03-11 10:38 PM NeilsWheel

Periodic Checkups

Started by PhatNLazy
Views: 1221 Posts: 10

2008-05-16 2:00 PM McFuzz

How to train for Time Trial

Started by kpar
Views: 1178 Posts: 10

2007-06-28 5:10 PM jeng
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 18, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 3
How to get faster and still keep your job and family

date : March 20, 2009
author : mikericci
comments : 0
This month's fun and fast training will help you improve performance and raise your metabolism so that you are feeling a bit hungry all the time and really burning up those calories.
date : February 16, 2009
Start getting fit and losing weight in the New Year with our beginner cycling program. For month two, we are increasing the intensity and duration of the workouts.

date : January 18, 2009
comments : 2
Start getting fit and losing weight in the New Year with our beginner cycling program. This program can get you fit and ready to then start any of our sprint or olympic triathlon training programs.
date : October 8, 2008
author : FitWerx
How do you determine VO2 max for cycling? I have my HR zones from a time trial, but don't know how to get VO2 max out of that.

date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.
date : May 1, 2006
author : AMSSM
This month I upped my bike time a lot but at relatively low intensity and I started experiencing pain on the outside lower part of my knee. It did not affect anything other than cycling.

date : March 5, 2006
The optimal number of times you should weight train is dependant on the time of year, how close you are to your A race, and which training cycle you are in.