General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to ride with small (5+ yo) kids? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-04-28 9:20 PM

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts
Subject: How to ride with small (5+ yo) kids?

For those with kids, how do you get around on medium or long rides with your young kids (5+ year old range)?

In past summers we've been able to put our daughter in a trailer and pull her around when we wanted to go on longer family rides, but she's five this year and doesn't really fit anymore. And while she's pretty capable on her bike (training wheels came off last year), I don't think she has the stamina or speed yet to keep up with mom & dad for anything other than cruising the neighborhood. I've looked into afterburner-style pull behind bikes, but they seem pricey, and I think she'd see through the fact that she doesn't actually steer or pedal pretty quickly.

Am I missing something, underestimating her abilities, or do parents just take a break from rides longer than around the block for a few years?

2016-04-28 9:51 PM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: How to ride with small (5+ yo) kids?

You ride at their speed and ability......and have the time of your life.

2016-04-29 8:20 AM

User image

Exton, PA
your crazy if you think your 5 year old is going to keep up with you on the bike. Take rides with the kids and enjoy it.

Set time aside to train without them. If your lucky your kids will get into sports as well, that means you will have less time to train as you will be running them around.

Enjoy it they are only young once.
2016-04-29 8:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Same response as the previous two - enjoy the kids while they are kids. Triathlon will be here when you get back.
2016-04-29 8:53 AM

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

I'm definitely not talking about training rides here, that's what lonely early morning are for. And I take it as a given that there will be lots of trips around the neighborhood where she sets the pace and I get to enjoy watching her improve. But in our house there's always been a third kind of ride where the whole family hits up a local rail trail or MUP to cruise along, enjoy the scenery, and see how far it takes us. When she was smaller, this is when she'd have gone in the trailer. Do people just shelve those kinds of lazy weekend rides until the kids can hack it on their own, or is there a way to still make it work? I can roll either way, I'm just curious if anyone else has figured it out.

2016-04-29 8:58 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

There's family rides, and there are training rides.  These are two different things entirely if the kids are operating their own bikes.  Younger kids are good for family rides, not training rides.  The challenge comes when going for a family ride after you've just put in four solid hours on the bike.  That's when caffeine comes in handy.   ;-)

Edit, since you were posting your clarification while I was writing this.  I see what you mean now.  My suggestion is find something she can do.  If it's too hard for her to push herself on the family ride you like, then switch to hiking or something like that until she's a little bigger and can power her own bike on the terrain you want to cover.

Edited by SevenZulu 2016-04-29 9:00 AM

2016-04-29 4:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Check craigslist for one of those tagalongs that hook to your bike.  That way you can see if she will like it and sell it if not.  There is one on my local craigslist for $50.

Edited by Hook'em 2016-04-29 4:22 PM
2016-04-29 5:05 PM
in reply to: #5179388

I have a Tagalong/afterburner with a 4.5yr old and she loves it. She knows she doesn't steer, but she still pedals when I do and coasts when I do...it's pretty funny. She likes seeing things better than from the burley too, easier to talk to her on rides, it's been nice. I'd suggest trying one out. And as someone noted, buy used if you can.
2016-05-02 9:32 AM

User image

Does mom run? Could you guys run while she rides?
2016-05-02 10:48 AM
in reply to: bigevilgrape

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll keep an eye on CL for a used tagalong (there aren't any currently listed that are drive-ably close). I really didn't want to drop any money on one without hearing of other positive experiences. And in the meantime I guess we'll just stick to shorter, slower rides set at her pace.

2016-05-02 10:52 AM

User image

Originally posted by Fourteenkittens

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll keep an eye on CL for a used tagalong (there aren't any currently listed that are drive-ably close). I really didn't want to drop any money on one without hearing of other positive experiences. And in the meantime I guess we'll just stick to shorter, slower rides set at her pace.

If you have an REI you can take advantage of their generous return policy if it doesn't workout. They also have their aniversary sale coming up.

2016-05-02 11:08 AM
in reply to: ilikepizza

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Have you considered a tandem bike? Though if you were concerned about the price of a tag-along, then these may not be a practical solution. I did find an inexpensive second-hand tandem some years ago, and still have it, so that might be an option for you.
2016-05-02 11:38 AM

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
I'm surprise noone has mentioned this... There's something out there called a "Tailgator" if memory serves. It's a bar that attaches to make a full kids bike attach like an afterburner.

That way she can ride as far as she can under her own power, then you can hook up for the rest of the way
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to ride with small (5+ yo) kids? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Riding in a small group

Started by lengthcroft
Views: 949 Posts: 7

2011-08-03 11:27 AM Rooney

Have been riding nearly a year without my smallest rear cog - doh

Started by agarose2000
Views: 1182 Posts: 14

2009-09-11 8:23 AM Detroit Dan

Smaller goggles for my small head...

Started by miami9296
Views: 697 Posts: 6

2006-08-17 10:29 PM danon

ride a size too small a frame?

Started by luv2flyjrn
Views: 742 Posts: 7

2006-05-03 12:13 PM runningfoo

Yo-Yo weight gain and loss..

Started by Novo
Views: 814 Posts: 2

2005-01-27 11:45 AM textridave
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 20, 2014
author : tri342
comments : 2
When I found out there was going to be a small sprint triathlon in a month, I signed up and I decided I would try to do my best.

date : August 31, 2011
author : Mandoline
comments : 6
The epic adventure of my first Olympic Tri at 13 years old.
date : July 9, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
How safe is it for children to participate in triathlons and other endurance events? Here are the opinions of several experts in the field.

date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : July 28, 2008
author : peteo
comments : 4
Honey, great news. I just spent our kids’ college fund on a new bike! The sales guy said it will shave at least 3 seconds off my 40K time. Umm, honey why do you have a knife in your hand???

date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.