General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM, really that bad? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-04-29 9:34 PM

Subject: HIM, really that bad?
I am one week out from my first HIM. I've been training consistently and feel pretty good, except for the first time jitters. The problem is, everyone I talk to about the race tells me that it's awful, not fun, hardest thing ever, a death march, among other gems. All of this plays into my jitters increasing every day! Please tell me that someone out there at least semi-enjoys the distance. Is it really that bad?!?

2016-04-29 9:58 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: HIM, really that bad?
It really all depends on your preparation, and how well you execute the race. It's too late to talk about preparation now--it's either there or it's not--and all you can do now is try to stay healthy. Regardless of how well you've prepared, I think the most important thing is to not overcook the bike (pace too ambitiously) or get behind on nutrition/hydration on that leg, or it will come back to haunt you in spades you on the run. Especially if it is your first HIM, and especially if preparation wasn't ideal, or running's not your forte, or conditions are tough (hills, wind, heat, etc.) it always pays to err on the side of caution in pacing the bike leg and early stages of the run.

As for death march, not necessarily. I have done three HIM with a best of 5:32. Planning on my fourth next week as well. For my first and third, I paced well on the bike, kept on top of nutrition/hydration, and had a good run, with no issues other than some minor cramping (toward the end on the first race, coming out of transition on the third). It was not at all like those videos you see of people wobbling and crawling in the final miles of full IM. I finished the run at a strong pace and, while I was tired by the end, and it required some focused effort to keep a strong pace, at no point did it feel like a death march. Then again, endurance (not speed) is my forte and in general, the run is one of my strengths. (The bike is not, so maybe I'm less likely to overdo it for that reason!) People say these things about marathons, too, and I only recall one out of the dozen or so I have run that really felt like a death march, and it was the same deal--I was underprepared, and had paced the first 20 miles too ambitiously. (I was 14, so perhaps that's forgivable!) I also knew zilch about race nutrition and I think had taken in maybe only a few hundred calories in the form of Gatorade!

As for "enjoy", I'll admit to liking the HIM distance more than shorter stuff, even though I'm probably better at the latter as the bike is a smaller portion of it and the swim matters more. Pretty much every sprint tri I've ever done has resulted in feeling like I'm going to puke by about halfway through the run, and sometimes as long a half a day afterwards. I think it depends on your body, but for some people the more steady-state effort of HIM or IM is more natural and enjoyable.

The one time a HIM became a death march was my second HIM. The basic issue was that I was quite sick to begin with. I got the flu three days before the race and by race day still had a low fever, sinus and chest congestion. I also have asthma, and the flu made it worse. Actually had an okay swim and bike but fell apart on the run. It did not help that it was 95 at the start and 105 at the end, with high humidity. That was, in my book, a death march. But it really mattered to me to finish that race for a number of reasons and I did, with very conservative pacing, lots of fluids, walking through aid stations. It was quite horrible and I wouldn't ever do that again. If you are sick with anything beyond a light cold, don't start an iron-distance race.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-04-29 10:00 PM
2016-04-29 10:04 PM
in reply to: Nolabuckeye

It's not that bad. Really. It sounds so long and scary, but it's at such an aerobic intensity that you'll probably feel pretty comfortable until the last hour, and then it's up to you how hard you want to push it. Plus, the diversity of swim/bike/run keeps things interesting (as compared to, for example, deathmarching  the last 6 miles of a marathon - standalone marathons are wayyy harder on the body than HIM.)

2016-04-29 11:27 PM

I had the same jitters for my first HIM a few weeks ago. It was definitely not as bad as I built it up to be, though not an easy race either.

Have Fun and trust your training!
2016-04-30 9:01 AM
in reply to: #5179580

User image

Don't go too hard on the bike.
2016-04-30 9:02 AM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Originally posted by jennifer_runs

Don't go too hard on the bike.

+1 Too hard on the bike makes it a "death march" on the run.

Edited by tedjohn 2016-04-30 9:02 AM

2016-04-30 9:51 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by Nolabuckeye

I am one week out from my first HIM. I've been training consistently and feel pretty good, except for the first time jitters. The problem is, everyone I talk to about the race tells me that it's awful, not fun, hardest thing ever, a death march, among other gems. All of this plays into my jitters increasing every day! Please tell me that someone out there at least semi-enjoys the distance. Is it really that bad?!?

HIM is probably the most fun distance........ Long enough to be 'epic' but not so long that it destroys you for weeks afterwards. Plus, if you are doing it right, you aren't racing at redline, you can actually look around and enjoy it a bit.

Yes, it will get very hard at some point in the run (again, if you are doing it right). You will get tired and want to stop and your body will be "talking to you" a little bit. One of the most fun things is to force your mind to rule your body and to push through even when your body doesn't want to. You will feel great when you are done if you can do that.

What others have said, if you make any mistake, make it the mistake of going too easy on the bike. If you feel like a million bucks on the run then you will have a great day. But, don't go out too fast on the run either. You will feel so good to be off the bike that you might look down and see that you are going 30 seconds/mile faster than goal pace. Don't do that. Slow down. Race to your plan. If you get to mile nine or ten and you still feel amazing, pick it up and finish like a rock-star.

Edited by wannabefaster 2016-04-30 9:58 AM
2016-05-01 10:10 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
I've done two HIMs. Didn't think either was particularly difficult. I heard the same things before my first and held back, waiting for it to be as hard as everyone said. It never was and I realized that toward the end, running my fastest two miles to finish the race. I didn't really even train all that much either, so for someone who actually did some decent training it should not be any more difficult than a long training day.
2016-05-02 8:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
Just remember, the odds that you'll get your pacing and nutrition right in your first race are low. It really took me until my 5th before I figured it out well. So with that in mind, just be very conservative and you'll be fine. Your goals should be 1) finish, 2) enjoy yourself, and a distant 3) worry about your time. Look at this first race as a learning experience. I've done 9 HIMs but am only doing my first full IM this fall (I know, I'm an outlier at taking so long to jump to an IM). This is exactly how I am approaching it. A low stress learning experience.

And while everyone has hit on the two keys don't overdo the bike and stay on top of your nutrition, the thing that has turned my race into a death march has been coming out too fast on the run. I usually feel really fast during the first 3 miles. If I go with that pace I am toast by mile 8. I have to use will power to hold myself back for the first few miles of the run.
2016-05-02 8:52 AM
in reply to: smoom

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I've completed 4 HIM's and I still haven't figured it out. I overcooked the bike on the first one, had to walk after mile 7 of the run. My second one I actually did pace the bike well but it was a very hilly course (IM Branson 70.3, elevations gain over 5,000 feet). I actually had a decent run on that one because I actually paced the bike fairly well. My third HIM, again I overcooked the bike, had to walk late in the run. PR'd my swim split and bike split and PR'd my HIM race time by over 20 minutes. But still suffered a bit on the run. My 4th HIM was a "bust" because I flatted on the bike and it was extremely hot and humid so my run included lots of walking.

I don't regret doing any of these races.

Pace the bike well and you will have an enjoyable run.

I can overcook the bike on an Olympic and not have to walk on the run but that 13.1 does make a difference.

I you know a seasoned triathlete that has done well at the 70.3 distance, talk to them if you can. Most of what they tell you has been stated here.
2016-05-02 12:09 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
A HIM can be tough, but it doesn't have to be. Preparation is key but you're past that part now. Don't over train in the last few days. You want to move enough to stay loose but save your energy for the race. As others here are saying: watch your pacing and don't get behind on nutrition and hydration. Use sunscreen!

My first HIM took nearly 7 hours and I was in poor shape after. Subsequent HIM efforts got better, eventually sub 5:30, and didn't leave me wiped out either. Use the first one to learn. Enjoy what your body can do and smile at the finish line!

2016-05-02 1:02 PM

Agreed that pacing on bike is most important thing. I've done 2 HIMs. Rode too hard for first one, and the entire run hurt a lot. Finished 5:37. Second one rode in control and ran stronger, had fun passing lots of people on run, finished in 5:37. Though same time (almost to the second, it was creepy), I'd certainly say I raced thr 2nd one much, much better.

But it does depend on what your personal strengths and goals are. Everyone's different. Enjoy it!
2016-05-02 1:18 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Originally posted by reecealan

I've completed 4 HIM's and I still haven't figured it out. I overcooked the bike on the first one, had to walk after mile 7 of the run. My second one I actually did pace the bike well but it was a very hilly course (IM Branson 70.3, elevations gain over 5,000 feet). I actually had a decent run on that one because I actually paced the bike fairly well. My third HIM, again I overcooked the bike, had to walk late in the run. PR'd my swim split and bike split and PR'd my HIM race time by over 20 minutes. But still suffered a bit on the run. My 4th HIM was a "bust" because I flatted on the bike and it was extremely hot and humid so my run included lots of walking.

I don't regret doing any of these races.

Pace the bike well and you will have an enjoyable run.

I can overcook the bike on an Olympic and not have to walk on the run but that 13.1 does make a difference.

I you know a seasoned triathlete that has done well at the 70.3 distance, talk to them if you can. Most of what they tell you has been stated here.

You know, I have done three HIM and am still trying to get it down. The first had the best time. The bike was flat, and the run was hilly. It got hot by the run, and after seeing the second person collapse in a mile, I slowed way down. I was fine sacrificing my goal time to preserve my health.

My second one was Savageman. I had pre-ridden the course twice, but still made a couple tactical errors, including not eating nearly enough. I knew that course would kick my , and it did. I barely finished, but that is more than some people can say about that day.

The third one was yesterday. I felt great about my training last weekend. Then I got food poisoning. And the weather went to hell. Despite it being a flat course, instead of getting a PR, I was about 45 minutes slower than I had been aiming for.

Eh, I learn from each one. Eventually I will have a race where everything comes together. In the meantime, these races have made me really appreciate my health and what my body can do, and they have encouraged me to try other challenges as well.
2016-05-02 3:25 PM

Good thread. Thanks to all for thoughtful replies. I will be doing my first HIM (second triathlon ever) at the end of June in Coeur d'Alene, ID. I am a road warrior for work and therefore wish I could to train a little harder than I am able to. But I have another month to pour in some volume before the taper. I am an adult-onset triathlete.

I am really looking forward to the event. In no way do I think it will be a cake walk, but I am not looking at age 61 to get on the podium. I want to finish and I will be pissed if I don't after the work I've put in. You don't have to worry about me going to hard on the swim or the bike. And I realize that nutrition, hydration and salt (depending on race day temps) will make or break my success.

My only wish is that cooler temps prevail on race day. The end of June has seen 16 full Ironman events in Coeur d'Alene (this is the first year that a HIM has been added, taking the June time slot and pushing the FIM out to August). We have seen race temps ranging from upper 50s-low 60s to 106 at last year's FIM. I hate heat. That's one of the reasons I moved to Cd'A in the first place.

Wish me luck.

Edited by HaydenHunter 2016-05-02 3:28 PM
2016-05-02 4:27 PM

Wors distance ever, you are going to DIE!

Kidding. Sort of.

It really comes down to if you have done your training or not, if you follow your nutrition plan, and if you don't have some sort of issue out of your control with race day weather, getting sick, a crash or the like.

For the most part, if you have done the work, you will have fun. I've always felt sprints are over so quick that by the time you are just starting to settle into a leg, it's transition time. HIM plus distance you get to enjoy each leg
2016-05-03 8:45 AM
in reply to: #5179973

Thanks for all the words of encouragement and wisdom! I really appreciate the time you all took to respond. I have been looking over my training logs to remind myself of the hours and hours and miles and miles of training I've put in to this race, not to mention the nutrition education and injury management elements!
I do want to enjoy each leg of the race, especially since I don't have a pr in front of me! I've heard the water where I'll be swimming is beautiful with views of cool fish along the way.

2016-05-03 12:37 PM

User image

Lots of sage advice here already. I would just add that you should try to make sure and be relaxed at the start of the swim (too excited and your heart rate will creep up.) More importantly I just want to wish you a positive experience in your first. Soak it all in and enjoy that finish line!
2016-05-03 2:34 PM

If you've been training (and nothing goes wrong), you will enjoy it.

Of the sprint, more-than-a-sprint-less-than-an-Olympic, Olympic, HIM I've done....
It's my favorite length. As someone said, near enough "epic" and yet, you don't have to train for 7-10 hours on the weekend days and weekday training can be done before work without having to get up much before 6:00ish. You don't have to commit 90%? of your waking/non-work hours to it.

If you've trained, (save disaster), you will be fine and you will enjoy it. It won't be a death march unless you don't follow everything you learned in training. You'll love it if you let yourself. Thank a volunteer, get to know the person you play leapfrog with on the bike, find people who are willing to get moving again (or will get you moving again) on the run. Get a high five from a stranger. Don't sweat the swim. I've never experienced any of the horror stories that get tossed around.

I come from 300+ lbs. a few years ago, with ZERO fitness level. Got fit(ish) and followed a very simple training plan and felt great at the end of it. Drove home 4+ hours, no problem. Ate White Castle and drank an ice cold Coca Cola as a treat.

You're going to overthink stuff and fear disaster. Stuff can happen. Prepare as much as you can without flipping out. I do, but I try not to let it take away from the fun.

As many have said, don't go too hard on the bike. Or the swim, or the run. Follow your training and everything you learned. Same with nutrition, etc. You know what to do. All the same stuff everyone says. Don't change anything...food/gear/etc. Training wasn't just for muscles. It was for the whole race.

Here's another tip that never seems to come up. If it's a big race, and people are staying in hotels...hit the nearby grocery stores early if you didn't bring breakfast. The grocery store near the one I did was completely out of bagels. I had to make do with some other starchy options as all of the wristbanded bandits had already made off with all the bagels.
2016-05-03 6:41 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
On that note, if by any chance you are racing in a place where you can't drink the tap water.....same goes for drinking water. Last year at Vietnam 70.3, neither the organizers nor the hotel seemed to realize that several hundred people racing a HIM in temps that reached triple digits were going to need A LOT of potable water. We were basically told to go find it at a store, the only issue being that race HQ, the start, and most hotels where people were staying were on a beachside strip with pretty much just resorts and nothing else. Riding three or four miles down the road in blazing heat while already running a fever the day before the race, and toting several liters of water back, were not my fondest memories of the event.

Ditto for eating before the race. Unless there's a pre-race feed for athletes, expect all restaurants, especially those with Italian food, to be packed solid for hours. Especially true for those quaint little small-town races, or anywhere offering Western food at an overseas race. Have a plan B or develop a taste for something less traditional for your pre-race meal.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM, really that bad? Rss Feed