General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Finishers, how sore the next day? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-01 6:36 PM

User image

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Subject: IM Finishers, how sore the next day?
I am curious how people feel the day after an Ironman. I am in my mid 20s and I am thinking about planning a trip around the Ironman in Cozumel, like Diving and other things around the island, but is that being wishful? Even if I train properly will I be so destroyed by fatigue and soreness the next few days that activity will be limited? Just curious how finishers have felt...

Edited by jckcrlln 2016-05-01 6:40 PM

2016-05-01 6:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: IM Finishers, how sore the next day?
Originally posted by jckcrllnI am curious how people feel the day after an Ironman. I am in my mid 20s and I am thinking about planning a trip around the Ironman in Cozumel, like Diving and other things around the island, but is that being wishful? If after training properly will I be so destroyed by fatigue and soreness the next few days that activity will be limited? Just curious how finishers have felt...
Sore but more fatigued really. You'll be limping for a while (at least I was ) but honestly not that bad. I am also currently thinking of doing Cozumel and will be staying 10 ish days after. Air and hotel is booked. I figure I'll plan on diving Tuesday. Have a friend who runs an op there and told me she had folks diving the day after. Cannot even imagine that.

Also......and I can't confirm this and I have my doubts although someone told me it was diagnosed..... A Facebook friend claims to have suffered "exercise induced DCS" after diving after (how long I don't know but I think there was at least a day between). Again, I have my doubts. Although you will likely be pretty dehydrated after the race so I plan on really working on that aspect

Edited by ChrisM 2016-05-01 6:43 PM

2016-05-01 7:11 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

If it's your first, you'll likely be sore. I've had quicker recoveries with each of the IMs that I did, and at the end of the last one I did I had a 50lb backpack on to do some touring around, albeit slowly.. I think after 1 day, 2 max you'll be fine. I've never heard of this DCS thing that Chris mentioned, (just reading about it now and found one source that says waiting 4 hours after strenuous exercise is good, 6 hours is better, so do your homework), but if it were me, yea I'd go diving. Hell, you'll be there on vacation, take advantage of it!

Edited by trijamie 2016-05-01 7:16 PM
2016-05-01 11:06 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Originally posted by trijamie

If it's your first, you'll likely be sore. I've had quicker recoveries with each of the IMs that I did, and at the end of the last one I did I had a 50lb backpack on to do some touring around, albeit slowly.. I think after 1 day, 2 max you'll be fine. I've never heard of this DCS thing that Chris mentioned, (just reading about it now and found one source that says waiting 4 hours after strenuous exercise is good, 6 hours is better, so do your homework), but if it were me, yea I'd go diving. Hell, you'll be there on vacation, take advantage of it!

In general, exercise before diving is generally considered to be OK, exercise after not OK.   So I am a little wary of the diagnosis.  Probably has more to do with dehydration but I'm no doc, just MO. 

My current plan is to arrive Coz Thursday, couple dives friday, race Sunday, dive Tuesday through Sunday.or Monday

2016-05-01 11:32 PM
in reply to: jckcrlln

User image

Extreme Veteran
It really depends how well trained you are for the day, and how hard you push.

I've done half marathons where I was visibly walking funny for 2 days and making odd noises every time I had to get up and down off the ground, and I've done a 50k ultramarathon where the next day I worked an 11 hour day and you couldn't really tell I ran the day before.

After my first ironman though, it took me 2-3 minutes to WILL my body to get up out of bed, and I was pretty darn sore.

I didn't work for 3 days, just to be safe :p
2016-05-02 4:10 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I was walking funny for 3-4 days after but I think I would have been fine to go diving.  Maybe not the day after as my guts were a mess but after that I would have been ok.  

Mind you, getting into a dive boat from the water would have required some assistance I think!

2016-05-02 7:06 AM

User image

Exton, PA
I was walking around fine the day after the IM, just felt a little wiped out. I was actually more sore the days after doing marathons.

I would not plan much for the day after the IM, but after that go for it.
2016-05-02 7:20 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

I've done 3, and each was a different recovery.  

IMCdA:  Spent the morning after in the urgent care center getting X-rays.  Wasn't particularly sore the day after, but 2-3 days after, really felt it.  

Vineman:  Went for a 3-mile easy run the next morning.  Spent the next few days walking Yosimite without a lot of soreness.  

B2B:  Hobbled a lot the morning after.  Sore for a day or two, but not bad.  

2016-05-02 11:44 AM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Everyone will recover differently but I've found that I'm usually sore but for the most part mobile in the days after IM's, HIMs, and Marathons.  For the first day or two going down stairs is tough and squatting down isn't fun but walking and other "light" exercise-type activities are fine.  

I plan many trips around races and I've ridden beach cruisers, snorkeled, sailed, and walked around town just fine after every one.  Although after IM Choo I went to Savannah (and Charleston) and my wife booked us on the Slow Ride two days after the race (check it out if you don't know what it is... fun!).  While the overall experience was a blast, the fact that it seemed like I was the only one peddling the bike made for 10 was not so much fun!  

2016-05-02 1:04 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by mike761 I was walking around fine the day after the IM, just felt a little wiped out. I was actually more sore the days after doing marathons. I would not plan much for the day after the IM, but after that go for it.

I was going to say 'marathon' sore - hard to get up and get down and soreness on stairs and although tired, felt pretty darn good. I was so happy I did it. Depending on you i wouldn't be planning on moving quickly but you should be able to move around. 

enjoy the post-race! :D 

2016-05-02 5:51 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia

As others have mentioned it depends, but I will say that last year after IM Melbourne we flew to Cairns and went diving a couple of days. I think it was either Tuesday/Wednesday or Wednesday/Thursday. No problems, but as someone mentioned I did require some assistance with the heavy tank and getting back into the boat.

2016-05-02 6:27 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
A little sore, and really tired after my IM. I didn't sleep very well the night after and was exhausted that day. By the second day I was sore, but it was manageable.
2016-05-03 1:02 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

I've finished 11 Ironman races.  Each one was a bit different, but there are patterns. Basically you'll be fine if you train well and execute well.  Me, I was varying levels of "fine" the next day.  One time I hurt my knee pretty bad from ITBS issues and hobbled around for a week.

You can do cool vacations alongside an Ironman, but skip the diving. I raced the first Ironman Cozumel back in 2009 when it was the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Brought my wife and three daughters and stayed a week. I also raced the second Ironman Los Cabos, a week long vacation with my wife.  I did a three week road trip from Seattle to IM Lake Placid and back in 2010.  I did Spring Break vacations with my wife and kids at Ironman Arizona in 2006, 2007, and 2008 when it was in April.  I do most of my races as race-cations.  Just did the Rock & Roll New Orleans marathon in February, and in April I did a half-marathon in Memphis.  Did the MDM Marathon in Bar Harbor, Maine last October. That one I hurt my foot at mile 4 and still ran, so the next day I was literally hobbling around. My daughter insisted on pushing me in a wheelchair when we visited a museum in Bangor.  Don't do that :-)

Anyway, your goal is to be fatigued and a bit sore the next day, but not destroyed by it or injured.  You can achieve that first by starting with an appropriate-for-you training plan (beginner, intermediate, competitive).  Second, you need to follow that plan well (perfection is not necessary) and adjust as needed to push toward your natural limits but not exceed them.  Third, come race day you need to have a good race execution plan and follow it, adjusting for conditions.  Hot, cold, wind, unexpected events all happen and you need to adjust for it. That's where race experience is key. If you do all that, then you'll have a good time on race day and the next day you'll fatigued and a bit sore.  Staircases will be hard, and you aren't playing tennis or diving afterward.

There is a wide range of errors you can make along the way.  You could pick a plan that's too hard for your fitness, try to chase it, end up injured, get to race day in poor condition, desperately try to hit a "sub 11" goal or some such, end up with a 13.5 and be half dead for weeks. Don't do that. :-)

Your response to challenging race day conditions will play a big part.  If a race day has a 25 mph headwind on the bike, you probably have to give up on that "20mph average" goal or you risk blowing up your legs, deathmarchng the run, and then you'll be half dead for weeks.  Don't do that :-)

Or, your nutrition could not work, your stomach goes south during the run, and you still try to push on toward your earlier goal.  Don't do that :-)

Edited by brucemorgan 2016-05-03 1:03 PM
2016-05-03 8:25 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

Scottsdale, AZ
I could barely walk the next day, but 2 days after was much better! I had to limit my running due to a hip injury 3 weeks before the race so lack of run fitness was definitely showing it's ugly head the next couple days. At 4 days I was able to teach my spin classes with just a little fatigue so it cleared pretty quickly, but I definitely took some easy weeks!
2016-05-05 4:28 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
If you pace your race in a way that you can actually run the marathon portion, you will be pretty darn sore. If you walk significant portions of the run then you might not be that bad off.

Like others, the more I have done, the better my recovery. After my first IM I was in no shape to walk at all for several days. It was mostly that my feet got chewed in to hamburger meat by my shoes........ but my muscles were pretty sore as well.

You should be fine for some light sight-seeing and touristy things. I wouldn't plan on any long hikes. :-)
2016-05-05 4:31 PM
in reply to: tedjohn

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by tedjohn

A little sore, and really tired after my IM. I didn't sleep very well the night after and was exhausted that day. By the second day I was sore, but it was manageable.

I have never slept more than an hour or two the night after an IM. You would think I would be exhausted and pass out but, no. Not sure if it is all of the caffeine I consume while racing, or endorphin overload, or just the fact that I am usually so sore that if I roll over in bed the pain wakes me up and I can't fall back to sleep......

2016-05-05 4:57 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Originally posted by tedjohn

I have never slept more than an hour or two the night after an IM. You would think I would be exhausted and pass out but, no. Not sure if it is all of the caffeine I consume while racing, or endorphin overload, or just the fact that I am usually so sore that if I roll over in bed the pain wakes me up and I can't fall back to sleep......

This has also been my experience for both my IM's. The first couple of nights are miserable and I'm typically feverish and tossing and turning. I went camping right after IM Canada and spent the night walking around the campground since laying down hurt too much.

I've always focused on easy moving recovery which includes walking easy hikes and water typically feels great.
2016-05-05 7:28 PM

I think a lot depends on fitness, age, how prepared you are for the race, and how hard you race it.

I did my first IM last fall. Since it was my first one, my goal was simply to finish. The next day, I was sore, but no worse than after racing a marathon. A few days later I felt pretty much back to normal. I think a lot of it had to do with the fact I was super fit going into this race, took my taper seriously, didn't race it super hard, and I've done over 20 marathons and ultra marathons so my body sort of knew what to expect.

I'm signed up to do my second IM this fall and am planning on pushing it hard so who knows how my body will respond.

I've done several destination marathons where I would sightsee the days before and after the race with little to no issue. You'll probably be a little sore and tired but the easy walking/light exercise might actually speed up recovery (at least is does for me).
2016-05-06 3:54 PM
in reply to: katgirl2013

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by katgirl2013

I think a lot depends on fitness, age, how prepared you are for the race, and how hard you race it.

I did my first IM last fall. Since it was my first one, my goal was simply to finish. The next day, I was sore, but no worse than after racing a marathon. A few days later I felt pretty much back to normal. I think a lot of it had to do with the fact I was super fit going into this race, took my taper seriously, didn't race it super hard, and I've done over 20 marathons and ultra marathons so my body sort of knew what to expect.

I'm signed up to do my second IM this fall and am planning on pushing it hard so who knows how my body will respond.

I've done several destination marathons where I would sightsee the days before and after the race with little to no issue. You'll probably be a little sore and tired but the easy walking/light exercise might actually speed up recovery (at least is does for me).

I am usually MORE sore after an open marathon. Getting right to that performance edge and then holding it for 26.2 miles leads to a very unhappy body for a few days. Which brings me back to what I said above: much of how sore you are after an IM distance race depends on how hard you can run the 26.2. The best I have ever felt after an IM was Tahoe where the bike sapped my legs so much that the run was done at a much easier pace than any of my other IMs. My slowest, hardest IM ever, but I felt better afterwards because of how the run played out (don't get me wrong, I was still pretty destroyed....)
2016-05-06 4:48 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
you'll probably be ok a few days after the IM. I would be a little cautious about diving real soon after the IM because you may get some deep cramping that could be dangerous. Cozumel is known for strong currents, I dove there before and it was a lot of strong work in on some dives.

Of course your youth may allow you to bounce back, for me, I have the"Ironman shuffle" for a day or so, then gradually feel more mobile. Light biking, and hiking usually ok. Typically I get a delayed onset fatigue that occurs a few weeks after, and can last a month.
2016-05-07 2:40 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
I did my first full Ironman at IMAZ last November and I was really sore for a few days. The next day I was shuffling wherever I walked (very hard to walk). It was also very difficult for me to walk up and down stairs.

2016-05-09 4:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Did Whistler in 13 and was pretty wrecked. I fought through and did family stuff. Reasonably hot day with both a hilly bike and run. For Coz the big thing will be hydration afterwards. I am racing there in mid September at ITU AG worlds. That said my race will be over in an hour and I'll be doing stuff later in the day assuming nothing goes haywire.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Finishers, how sore the next day? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

IM Finishers: Pulling the "trigger" on IM entry

Started by FELTGood
Views: 1734 Posts: 22

2012-01-16 10:36 PM southwestmba

3 days post first IM and I want to get my time down next year

Started by kathy caribe
Views: 2379 Posts: 20

2011-12-20 5:39 PM paradigm777

Registering for next years IM day after race

Started by rollinsw
Views: 830 Posts: 6