General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Great Floridian Bike Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-02 3:02 PM

New user

Subject: Great Floridian Bike Course
Hi All,

I am doing GFT this year. I live in Tampa so getting over to ride on the actual course is doable for some training rides. Just curious from any locals if there are any problem traffic areas on the bike course we should avoid or be extra cautious at for training rides. I believe the course changed in 2015 so I am looking for info on the current bike course. I did a search but did not find anything specific to this question.

Appreciate the help!

Mike

Edited by mike_tampa 2016-05-02 3:03 PM

2016-05-03 11:47 AM
in reply to: mike_tampa

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
Subject: RE: Great Floridian Bike Course
Originally posted by mike_tampa

Hi All,

I am doing GFT this year. I live in Tampa so getting over to ride on the actual course is doable for some training rides. Just curious from any locals if there are any problem traffic areas on the bike course we should avoid or be extra cautious at for training rides. I believe the course changed in 2015 so I am looking for info on the current bike course. I did a search but did not find anything specific to this question.

Appreciate the help!

Mike

My 2 cents: I ride here all the time. Almost all these roads are pretty bike friendly, with the exception of old CR 50. People get a little cranky and aggressive here. My advice would be to get on the trail where you turn off Northridge. You can stay on the trail all the way to the left turn onto 455 and avoid the traffic and the verbal abuse to "ride on the trail!". I find the rest of the roads to be pretty cycle friendly and generally either rural enough or with a nice wide/safe shoulder. On the way back, Blackstill Road drops you back on the trail which you can then take back to Northridge. Convenience store at 455 left turn in Montverde is a good place to refuel, as well as the waterstop on top of Sugarloaf.

Hope that helps.
2016-05-03 1:59 PM
in reply to: exnavydoc

New user

Subject: RE: Great Floridian Bike Course
Originally posted by exnavydoc

Originally posted by mike_tampa

Hi All,

Appreciate the help!

Mike

My 2 cents: I ride here all the time. Almost all these roads are pretty bike friendly, with the exception of old CR 50. People get a little cranky and aggressive here. My advice would be to get on the trail where you turn off Northridge. You can stay on the trail all the way to the left turn onto 455 and avoid the traffic and the verbal abuse to "ride on the trail!". I find the rest of the roads to be pretty cycle friendly and generally either rural enough or with a nice wide/safe shoulder. On the way back, Blackstill Road drops you back on the trail which you can then take back to Northridge. Convenience store at 455 left turn in Montverde is a good place to refuel, as well as the waterstop on top of Sugarloaf.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, this is very helpful! Appreciate the information.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Great Floridian Bike Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Compare: Mont-Tremblant and Great Floridian Bike Course

Started by raka
Views: 2594 Posts: 11

2013-01-05 11:43 AM Birkierunner

Great Floridian Smackdown Poll - BT vs TNO vs ST

Started by jerry
Views: 909 Posts: 11

2005-09-23 8:55 AM jerry

Great Floridian

Started by trigurl123
Views: 732 Posts: 9

2004-10-22 12:23 PM snikpos

IM Fl vs. Great Floridian

Started by mllrym
Views: 2152 Posts: 23

2007-11-02 9:14 AM run4yrlif

GREAT FLORIDIAN 1/2 TRIATHLON

Started by COP2TRI
Views: 524 Posts: 3

2004-08-26 6:52 PM ropkins
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.

date : December 20, 2007
comments : 0
I struggled on the bike while climbing the hill portions of the course. I do fine on long straight rides but really have a tough time while hill climbing. Any advice or training tips?