General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Two Legends Retiring? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-03 8:48 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Two Legends Retiring?
Perhaps "legends" is overstating it a bit. Neither has been part of a championship or really ever tasted victory in any real sense. They are merely foot soldiers who have toiled in relative obscurity in the shadows and provided unwavering support in silent anonymity. Though not the formidable stalwarts of their youth, they still perform at a high level. Their sheen is gone and bodies show signs of wear and mild abuse. Still they endure. Still they rise to every challenge. I speak not of an aging quarterback wistfully hoping to recapture former glories or an outfielder lamenting at the lost step and weakened throwing arm, rather I speak of Trek 8000 and Trek 1000. My mountain and road bikes respectively. Though cutting edge in it's day, my mountain bike is a dinosaur in the modern era. Technology has advanced by leaps and bounds since she rolled off the assembly line. I still have the factory bar ends on her for gosh sakes. Bar ends! Remember those? My roadie is newer but a little worse for wear. It is an entry level bike, but with bolt on aero bars it has been my trusty steed for almost 40 tris including an iron distance. She was there when the blue haired 80 year old decided she needed all of the lane and clipped me from behind. She's there for the hours long training rides and the short casual jaunts up the road. I'm in a position to replace both if I want to, but I'm not sure I do. Clearly they are inanimate objects but I have formed a bond and emotional attachment to both. I could buy new bikes and keep them but it wouldn't be the same. They are my "go to" bikes. We have shared many great adventures together. They are deeply woven into the fabric of my life and experiences. Okay, a little much I know. They are great bikes and old dear friends. I think they will be back for at least one more season..

2016-05-03 10:30 PM
in reply to: CBess

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Two Legends Retiring?

Amazing how easy it is to get attached to those things. I also had a trek 1000 and looked in the rear view mirror more than once when I finally said goodbye to it.

2016-05-04 7:00 AM

User image

Exton, PA
When it comes time to retire the road bike, just make it a dedicated trainer bike. It makes for less excuses to get rides and trainer rides in.

As for the 8000, if your ride a new MTB all that sentiment about the old bike will get washed away quickly. New Mountain bike are just so nice compared to the older models like that.
2016-05-04 10:58 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I stripped everything off my Trek 1200 in 2013. Took it down to the frame, painted it a ghost gray color, and built a fixed gear out of it.  It is the bike I enjoy the most, the one I ride when TW and I go riding together, the one that gives me the best interval workouts and simply makes me smile when I pass it in the garage.  As emotionally as you wrote about it, it deserves a second life.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Two Legends Retiring? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Two Triathlons in Two Weeks?

Started by vivmo
Views: 2266 Posts: 11

2008-08-02 8:11 PM zeroviz

Two races in two days?

Started by skavoovie
Views: 1154 Posts: 4

2008-04-13 10:02 PM southwestmba

Two HIM races within two months

Started by Omega
Views: 992 Posts: 10

2007-09-11 2:42 PM tomp

Two races in two weeks?

Started by bezonkered
Views: 925 Posts: 7

2005-07-10 12:11 PM autumn

Team Two - Down to Two Names.

Started by Shrike
Views: 2462 Posts: 25

2005-01-14 12:09 AM ChrisM
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 12, 2013
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Two Legged Squats exercise instruction with video.

date : December 27, 2010
author : mikericci
My question is how do I train for the second Ironman race and continue to improve without "peaking" way too early, becoming stagnant or any of the other training bad words?
date : February 5, 2010
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 1
Trying to figure out how to fit all of your weekly training sessions in? This guide will show the best ways to schedule your two-a-day workouts.

date : February 18, 2008
author : mrakes1
Getting ready for a long workout? Here are some nutritional guidelines on how best to fuel your body in preparation for that long workout.
date : September 8, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on racing in the heat, electrolytes, weightloss and long distance training, the best way to improve your run, taper psychology, the best gel and the benefits of a swim stroke analysis.

date : July 2, 2006
author : Ontherun
Gut check! Striking a balance between your two loves can make and keep the relationship strong.
date : June 23, 2006
author : Team BT
Standing Bent Over Two-Arm Dumbbell Extension strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
Here’s a couple of tactics that I have found VERY helpful when it comes to my early morning workouts…hopefully, at least one of them will work for you too!